Kit advice for a runner new to hills running

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Becky 25 Dec 2020

Hi!

I’m looking for kit advice from mountain trail runners. I’m starting out so can’t guarantee I can run the whole time to ensure my temperature does drop (so I’m not going out in just shorts and T-shirt’s like some super fit people out there!).

I’ve been wearing a long sleeve T-shirt, windproof/ showerproof active jacket and some leggings. I’m usually getting too hot on the ascent, but feeling like the rest of the time I’m a good ish temperature. I’d really like to invest in some trousers, possibly windproof (not necessarily fully waterproof) but may be more breathable than my leggings... 

I also carry a bag with a spare jumper or so in.

Please help me spend money and recommend some good pieces of kit you wouldn’t leave home without!  Thanks!!

SouthernSteve 25 Dec 2020
In reply to Becky:

Consider some fingerless mitts (not gloves) with just thumb holes that you can push back onto your wrists. This is flexible and low faff and works well for me.

Consider a headband instead of a hat - again a bit more flexible - warm ears, but not super hot

Not sure what to suggest with the trousers. I quite like shorts and long socks.

AdrianC 25 Dec 2020
In reply to Becky:

Flexibility is the key - you want to be able to be able to match your gear to the conditions on the day.  That means having a range of weights and, given that running gear tends to get a fairly hard time from wear / thorns / lots of washing, then go for multiple cheap-and-cheerful garments (e.g. Decathlon) over single snazzier ones.

girlymonkey 25 Dec 2020
In reply to Becky:

I have super lightweight waterproof trousers which I carry (they pack to fist size). So I wear the right weight of leggings for my moving pace and then have the trousers to put on if I need to stop.

This time of year I often wear ski socks so I can have them pulled up or scrunched down for temperature regulation. 

I wear normal weight full length leggings between around 0 and 10 degrees, colder than that I have winter weight ones which have a kind of brushed lining and warmer I wear capris or shorts.

I carry enough spare layers that I could wait for mountain rescue (3-5 hours) and still be reasonably ok. At this time of year that means hat, mitts, fleece, primaloft, foil blanket, survival bag or group shelter, food, water and waterproofs. None of this has to be heavy, but it is pricey to get stuff light enough which will do the job.

girlymonkey 25 Dec 2020
In reply to Becky:

A good wee video here made by the team at Trail running Scotland.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1670941989903597&id=6186170...

PPP 25 Dec 2020
In reply to Becky:

Varying thickness tights help a lot, but I tend to underdress legs as it’s trickier to change them. 

Tops wise, I find a long sleeve shirt with a zip to be most versatile. OMM Vector, Montane Dart, etc. You can zip up and down, as well as roll up the sleeves on ascents. If it’s chilly, a tighter fitting T-Shirt or long sleeve one does work wonders. 
Then if it’s windy or cold, a wind proof is great. As long as you’re moving, you are generating quite a bit of heat and wind proof helps to keep that in. 
Waterproof jacket and trousers are great. Montane Minimus are great all rounders running wise, Montane Podium is good if you are expecting lighter rain when it’s not so cold. 
Hat, headband, buff and gloves are a must depending on weather. Luckily they can all be found quite cheap and having a variety is good. 
Don’t discount socks. Wool socks are great as they keep feet warmer. You’ll get wet feet and keeping them warm helps to feel warmer overall (also it sucks less when you eventually get a low point and cold). 

Then carry a synthetic jacket for emergency and a survival blanket or bag. I would recommend a bag as some races require one and if you ever need to use one might as well have something more substantial. 

You don’t need to overpack, but you eventually learn what you need and what becomes handy. I did a hill run with club in November, got my gloves wet (no spares) and not a substantial jacket. Combine that with a lot of stop start and you get quite uncomfortable... 

P.S. Some hot tea left in the car is not a bad idea either. 

dovebiker 25 Dec 2020

I too can recommend the Montane Minimus jacket - properly waterproof and packs up tiny. Likewise with the matching trousers. I also have an OMM Kamleika jacket and trousers but prefer the Minimus.

I also have a pair of GoreTex shorts - the pack up smaller that a full trouser and are easier to put on / breathe better don't get as clammy - great if you need to sit down somewhere wet too. If find that just keeping my thighs dry/warm is sometime enough to get me down off the hill.

Don't underestimate a good base layer for keeping you warm and dry by wicking sweat - only synthetic though as natural fibres hold moisture / get cold. For an outer windproof layer, I find a top that combines Pertex Quantum and Polartec Alpha to be a great combo for hill runs - I ran to the top of my local mountain today, it was 0C at the bottom and more like -20C at the top due to altitude and windchill but I was still OK when moving.

fshbf 25 Dec 2020
In reply to Becky:

I find it's more useful to have options for your top half than your legs. I tend to just wear leggings and have a pair of waterproof trousers as my emergency leg layer or if I'm moving slowly. But I pack more tops and jackets as they can be easily layered, and I find a cold body more uncomfortable than cold legs. Two pairs of gloves is also good as they can get wet easily if you fall over or need to scramble over wet rock.

If you're taking a flask, I prefer hot ribena or orange squash over tea as they both give a sugar hit and still taste good even if they cool down.

In reply to girlymonkey:

Interesting little video that. Thanks

girlymonkey 26 Dec 2020
In reply to Stuart Williams:

Your welcome!

I seem to have my phantom disliker back though, who else would dislike a clear and informative video?? 

BusyLizzie 26 Dec 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

Excellent video, thank you. I'm a long way from serious hills, but I run alone off road in the Chilterns where a sprained ankle would mean at least an hour's wait so I carry what I would need to stay warm.

A thought which will work for some but not for all is to share your location on google maps with someone. 

SouthernSteve 26 Dec 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

> I have super lightweight waterproof trousers

I have the OMM Kameleika shorts too - they are good at extending the shorts season, although I was defeated last weekend on the Langdake Pikes in the hail and ran in overtrousers for the first time in years.

greg_may_ 26 Dec 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

UKC remember. There is always one. Or several.  

greg_may_ 26 Dec 2020
In reply to SouthernSteve:

I've a set of these rate them highly, quick on and off when the wind picks up and they pack down to nothing.

Kit wise, I tend to go with capris unless it is  bitterly cold. Shorts all year is pretty normal once I know I am going to be working hard. Can't switch my MRT brain off and I will have a pair of long legs in a bag and WP jacket if it's not high summer and I'm in shorts. Onice I'm off into real mountains, and more often alone, I tend to carry a bit more than the base FRA kit.

Summer fell race... I'll have the lightest of everything I can even it's Jura.

girlymonkey 26 Dec 2020
In reply to greg_may_:

Indeed. For a while I got a dislike for every single post, it was like someone's hobby. Then it seemed to stop for a bit, but seems to have restarted. I guess they need some sort of hobby when it's not climbing weather! Lol

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...