Kipchoge BGR

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 bouldery bits 12 Oct 2019

Let's have a pointless UKC argument.

I reckon Kipchoge wouldn't be able to beat Killian's time. What do you lot reckon?

Please don't all agree with me or else it's pointless.

If you do argue with me, my Dad's bigger than your Dad and he's a policeman and he'll put your dad in jail

john arran 12 Oct 2019
In reply to bouldery bits:

That would be ridiculous. Unthinkable.

A bit like the top sport and competition climber suddenly deciding to have a go at the hardest big-wall trad climb in the world.

mountainbagger 12 Oct 2019

> I reckon Kipchoge wouldn't be able to beat Killian's time. What do you lot reckon?

How long has he got to train? Does he have to do it right now or next summer or in 3 years time?

plyometrics 12 Oct 2019

I’ve often thought about world class long distance runners taking on things like the BG, Western States, UTMB etc.

My gut feel is that, with a couple of years getting used to the terrain, they’d completely reframe what’s possible in that world. 

IMHO etc. 

plyometrics 12 Oct 2019
In reply to john arran:

What, you mean like Stefan Glowacz..?

Climbthatpitch 12 Oct 2019

Only if there was a pacing drone all the way for him with trainers that are designed for 6000% increase grip on rock

planetmarshall 12 Oct 2019

> Let's have a pointless UKC argument.

> I reckon Kipchoge wouldn't be able to beat Killian's time. What do you lot reckon?

I don't know. More importantly, could he beat Bruce Lee at backgammon?

birdie num num 12 Oct 2019

Kipchoge would do a BGR in 5h 35m

OP bouldery bits 12 Oct 2019
In reply to planetmarshall:

> I don't know. More importantly, could he beat Bruce Lee at backgammon?

I'd beat Kelly Slater at cycling.

DancingOnRock 12 Oct 2019

I’m pretty sure they have hills and mountains in Kenya. 

I assume that’s where the “Kenyan hills” workout came from. 

OP bouldery bits 12 Oct 2019
In reply to john arran:

I fully endorse this very clever response.

Moley 12 Oct 2019

Like, would Connor McGregor beat Floyd Mayweather at boxing? Or would Floyd Mayweather beat Connor McGregor at MMA?

Put enough money upfront and he might have a go. Great engine but who knows?

wbo2 12 Oct 2019
In reply to plyometrics: race directors for a lot of these type races dont invite Kenyans as they're pretty sure they'll clean up , reducing their media attraction 

Clauso 12 Oct 2019

I honestly believe that I could beat Jornet's BGR and Kipchoge's marathon, if I put my mind to it and trained properly... #AgeOnlyANumber #NoSuchWordAsImpossible #PMA

Post edited at 21:42
 Herdwickmatt 13 Oct 2019
In reply to john arran:

Y

> That would be ridiculous. Unthinkable.

> A bit like the top sport and competition climber suddenly deciding to have a go at the hardest big-wall trad climb in the world.

like that time Ondra did the dawn wall?

john arran 13 Oct 2019
In reply to Herdwickmatt:

> like that time Ondra did the dawn wall?

Now you mention it ...

Dr.S at work 13 Oct 2019

Quad bike or Drone for the lasers?

Andy Hardy 13 Oct 2019
In reply to Dr.S at work:

Good luck getting a quad bike over broad stand...

Guy 14 Oct 2019

> I'd beat Kelly Slater at cycling.

Unicycling? Kelly has balance!

Steve Jones 16 Oct 2019

Looking at the Commonwealth Mountain Running champs from 2009 held in Keswick, where they basically ran up Skiddaw, it was won by a Kenyan, K Wilson CHEMWENO in 50:42. Rob Jebb was 7th, for context if you know your fell running. Chemweno's marathon pb is 2:26:31.

Sources:

http://wmra.ch/files/results/commonwealth/commonwealth_results_2009.pdf

https://www.iaaf.org/athletes/kenya/wilson-kipkosgei-chemweno-014207534

Anecdotally, I've heard that the Kenyans are rubbish when it came to anything vaguely techinical on the downhills, but the aforementioned was basically uphill only.

OP bouldery bits 16 Oct 2019
In reply to Steve Jones:

That's really interesting. I hadn't expected anything actually factual to come out of this silly thread. Thanks!

Roadrunner6 30 Oct 2019
In reply to plyometrics:

> I’ve often thought about world class long distance runners taking on things like the BG, Western States, UTMB etc.

> My gut feel is that, with a couple of years getting used to the terrain, they’d completely reframe what’s possible in that world. 

> IMHO etc. 

Deffo, we've already seen someone like Walmsley redefine what's possible and he's barely an elite roadie, probably top of the sub elites and he's shattering long standing records.

But Killian is class, he's proving himself to be a much better runner than I gave him credit for with his recent Siere Zinal run.

Steve Jones 22 Nov 2019

I've just read this article which I though may be relevent for this topic:

https://www.outsideonline.com/2405298/ultrarunning-prediction-study?fbclid=...

wbo 22 Nov 2019
In reply to Steve Jones:  I thought most of it speculation : have you looked at the list of recent winners of the Comrades marathon?  

I

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...