Kathrine Switzer

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BusyLizzie 22 Apr 2018

I was just reading about Kathrine Switzer running in London today and was surprised to learn that one of the reasons she was disqualified after the Boston marathon on 1967 was that she had run "without a chaperone.

Blimey. That's within my lifetime. 

I am amazed at the courage of the women and men who changed society and gave me the freedom I enjoy today. I would 't have been brave enough to do it.

Removed User 22 Apr 2018
In reply to BusyLizzie:

She was assaulted during it as well. We rightly condemn other countries for their sexist laws and customs but in historical terms we aren't as far ahead as we like to think.

wbo 22 Apr 2018
In reply to Removed UserStuart en Écosse: you should read about that - it's an interesting story .  Kathrine Switzer wasn't the first woman to run Boston (I don't think she was fastest woman that year )but she was the first to run with a number - I believe she entered as K. Switzer , and got a men's number.   The others ran unofficially .  Race organiser Jock Semple was enraged by this and thus the famous images.  He was scared having women run would get the race a bad reputation

The New NickB 22 Apr 2018
In reply to wbo:

Bobbi Gibb, she had run Boston in 1966 as well, but on both occasions she hadn't entered and had waited in nearby bushes for the race to start and joined the crowd.

Semple did somewhat redeem himself and become a strong advocate for women racing at Boston.

Whilst Switzer's time at Boston in 1967 was fairly unremarkable, she went on to become a very good marathoner, winning the New York Marathon and setting a PB of 2:51 at Boston, she also did huge amounts to promote women's distance running around the world and was instrumental in the Marathon becoming an Olympic event for women in 1984.

hokkyokusei 24 Apr 2018
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Inspirational woman. Heard her speak at the Reykjavik marathon a couple of years ago.

Stig 24 Apr 2018
In reply to BusyLizzie:

What I find even more amazing is that the women's marathon only became an Olympic event in 1984, won by the also inspirational Joan Benoit in an incredible time of 2:24, in the heat, and having had knee surgery the same year.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...