JOGLE Record Attempt

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 steelbru 16 Aug 2018

GB ultra runner Dan Lawson is currently on day 4 of an attempt to break the record for running from John O'Groats to Lands End.

Current record is 9d 2h 26m by Andi Rivett in 2002, which works out about 90 miles per day.

Dan is currently south of Edinburgh, heading for Carlisle for his next overnight.

Check out his route and follow his progress at http://live.opentracking.co.uk/fktdanlawson/

Michael Hood 16 Aug 2018
In reply to steelbru:

"Just going out for a little run dear"

Post edited at 10:47
 James Malloch 16 Aug 2018
In reply to steelbru:

How do you record the time for this kind of attempt? With the current record, for example, did Andi finish at 02:26am, or 2 hours of running into the 10th day after a sleep?

I'm guessing the "days" are just total elapsed times? Not that it makes any difference to me but would be interesting to know. 

It's an incredible feat though - puts my 4.5 miles yesterday to shame!

climberchristy 16 Aug 2018
In reply to James Malloch:

Yes just total elapsed time from whenever he started, regardless of number of sleeps or whatever.

James Malloch 16 Aug 2018
In reply to climberchristy:

Makes sense, thanks! 

Y Gribin 16 Aug 2018
In reply to steelbru:

Thanks - I now realise I passed him and his support vehicle on the A9. He had been forced into running on a line of thick scree next to the hard shoulder (some sort of lorry run-off?) south of Inverness. Looked really unpleasant! Full credit to him....

wheelo 17 Aug 2018

Moral support given today along the A6, he's around Lancaster, roughly half way. Dan looks good and appreciative of support, get out there folks.....

Will Hunt 17 Aug 2018
In reply to steelbru:

How does he work out the logistics for this? I mean, presumably he has to plan ahead his overnight stops so that hot shower, quality food and bed can be waiting for him when he arrives. If he can't stop just anywhere does that mean that one day he might be having a really good day and be able to go further than planned but be forced to stop early and waste time at his overnight stop?

Or does he just use a campervan?

Stig 17 Aug 2018
In reply to James Malloch:yes it’s elapsed time, same as for the cycling records. For instance the new cycling record equates to an average of 19mph - just astounding really. 

OP steelbru 17 Aug 2018
In reply to Will Hunt:

His wife/partner is there with a campervan. They have planned towns to stop at, but the first 2 or 3 they were a bit short. Last night he made it to his planned stop at Carlisle but didn't get there until 23:45

His planned stop tonight is Leyland, and at 21:45 looks like he still has about 10 miles to go, and seems to be travelling about 6mph, so will be another late night if he goes to Leyland.

pyrrho101 19 Aug 2018
In reply to steelbru:

Looks like he got into Leyland at Sat 00:23.

He's moving again!

McHeath 20 Aug 2018
In reply to steelbru:

If I'm interpreting the tracking map correctly, it looks like he could be in with a chance - 2 stages to go, and about 45 hours left - is that right?

streapadair 20 Aug 2018
In reply to McHeath:

He's behind schedule, didn't reach Avonmouth till this morning.

A fantastic effort though, whether he gets the record or not.

Simon Caldwell 20 Aug 2018
In reply to streapadair:

He stopped earlier than planned, just across the Severn Bridge, so is presumably planning a slightly longer day today (or tomorrow).

mountainbagger 20 Aug 2018
In reply to streapadair:

> A fantastic effort though, whether he gets the record or not.

Absolutely. I ran my longest ever distance on Saturday and met somebody whilst doing that who knows Dan funnily enough. It is just mind-blowing to me that he can run 90 miles per day for 9 days in a row when I was shot away after not even a third of that distance and hobbling about the next day!

Donotello 20 Aug 2018
In reply to steelbru:

Randomly just came across this on a break at work, and he must have just run past, I work near Bristol airport! Would have loved to have seen that.  

wheelo 20 Aug 2018
In reply to Donotello:

unfortuntely Dan has now stopped. He is deciding whether to continue to the finish but he cannot break the record.

Michael Hood 21 Aug 2018
In reply to wheelo:

Tracker indicates he's not continuing unless the m4 is en route

r0b 21 Aug 2018
In reply to Michael Hood:

He has announced on social media that he is stopping

J Brown 20 Sep 2018
In reply to steelbru:

Brilliant stuff - I hope he makes it.  

So far this week I've managed five miles, pfft!

J Brown 20 Sep 2018
In reply to J Brown:

Just read the other posts - I hadn't appreciated that he'd stopped.  That's a shame.

Post edited at 17:08

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...