JK This Weekend?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 greg_may_ 13 Apr 2022

Anyone else down enjoying the return of the JK this weekend?

Currently working our way through the 37 page (!!) programme and wondering how we're going to negotiate both parents running and herding a 5 year old around string, white, and possibly yellow courses while I do the M40L courses.

To say I'm quite looking forward to the weekend is an understatement! 

Dave Todd 13 Apr 2022
In reply to greg_may_:

We're all down there - looking forward to it!

OH and daughter are already down in South Wales and ran the JK Warm-Up Sprint tonight.  My son and I are driving down tomorrow.  I'm not running the relay day, but the venue looks very interesting!

Good luck!

Fat Bumbly2 13 Apr 2022
In reply to greg_may_:

Last time I went was 1981. Never could get the brownie points to spend Easter there since then. Always out in the hills after that.   37 page programme - are they taking on the six days?  

Memories of camping in snowy Sheffield in 1978 and being refused service at Exeter University on my 18th birthday a year on, only the second time I was questioned re age.

OP greg_may_ 13 Apr 2022
In reply to Dave Todd:

Relay venue looks "quite" interesting - crossable fences with barbed wire....erm...ok.

Fat Bumbly2 15 Apr 2022
In reply to greg_may_:

It is very interesting, I ran there the first time it was used - totally post apocalyptic. Wrecked railway carriages (used in training) and zillions of identical bunkers.  It will be fast - very fast.

OP greg_may_ 15 Apr 2022
In reply to greg_may_:

Today re-enforced the fact that I am not good at urban sprint races

Split start with wife/5 year old of two hours didn’t help. But by the time it came to race the hottest part of the day was here and… tbh, I was happy lazing in the sun.

Had a good run out though. 20 ish min for the M40 in 3.8km. Made some stupid mistakes, but that’s how it goes. 

Looking forward to a short drive tomorrow and “real” terrain!

OP greg_may_ 15 Apr 2022
In reply to Fat Bumbly2:

Good to know! I’m wondering how it’ll be with lots of similar features that may be quite hidden by blast walls.

George Ormerod 15 Apr 2022
In reply to greg_may_:

What’s the JK?

OP greg_may_ 15 Apr 2022
In reply to George Ormerod:

https://www.thejk.org.uk/

Very big orienteering event

George Ormerod 15 Apr 2022
In reply to greg_may_:

Thanks. Looks fun. 

Dave Todd 15 Apr 2022
In reply to greg_may_:

Really enjoyable area today - all going fine until a complete 'mare on #17 saw me drop from 16th to 30th, lost 70s, eventually finished in 31st.  Just brain-tired.  Loads of people seemed to make mistakes at least once on their course.

Looking forward to tomorrow - terrain looks tough!

Dave Todd 16 Apr 2022
In reply to greg_may_:

Flippin' mispunch...

Really great terrain today! But two big errors (8 min each!) had already pushed me way down the field before I mispunched (wrong 14, out of 15 - very annoying!)

Hoping for better tomorrow!

OP greg_may_ 17 Apr 2022
In reply to greg_may_:

Loved today’s area despite having major issues on one control. Felt really runnable at times, then straight into death by uphill slog. 
will be a venue I’d happily return to!

Relays tomorrow, venue looks FAST

Dave Todd 18 Apr 2022
In reply to greg_may_:

Finally managed a decent (for me...) run at Pwll Du.  What a great area - physically hard, but OK nav.  My splits say that I must have made a couple of sub-optimal route choices on the longer legs, but no major disasters.

I'm off the get my GPX onto RouteGadget - to see where I lost those minutes.

Managed to get a sunburnt head as well...in Wales...in April!

Enjoy the relays!

OP greg_may_ 18 Apr 2022
In reply to greg_may_:

Due to some last minute changes I ended up in the JK Trophy race… I was the confused fat one in the start pen with all the skinny Swedish looking people

Saying that I mostly had a good run. Made one massive error, but hit all my controls, didn’t miss punch and handed off well.

We also didn’t come last, so I’ll take that!

Dave Todd 18 Apr 2022
In reply to greg_may_:

Really good effort!  That sounds like the stuff of my worst nightmares...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...