Insoles for medial knee pain. Lateral wedges?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 im off 30 Apr 2021

Hi,

I've recently bought some Salford insoles which counteract over sup8nation but also don't allow pronation. The heel is built up laterally. My problem on right is an old old knackered injury of lateral ligaments with a supination and oa of talus bone. They're making a huge difference and so simple.

I also have on left knee medial knee pain...probably meniscal. These lateral wedge type insoles can apparently relieve medial knee pain too. Anyone used similar insoles for medial knee pain? Did they help?

wercat 30 Apr 2021
In reply to im off:

Slightly different here - I was recommended by our GP after a diagnosis of plantar fasciitis in my 50s to go to a place in Kendal that did custom moulded insoles - used by fell runners, skiers etc with problems.  (I'd been diagnosed with flat feet in my early 20s too, which always made long days hurt a bit)

I couldn't even endure half an hour at the shops and was thinking of giving up hillwalking as it was getting painful after an hour or so curtailing activity.

I really didn't believe it would work but tried it out of desperation and it was an instant fix with progressive improvement over time.

I'd also suffered with toe stubbing and knee pain particularly on descent since my late 30s.  The insoles stopped the toe stubbing and my knees have been better ever since.  Quite a marked change and at 64 and 11/12ths I'm really happy about that.

The benefits to my knees were quite unexpected as I'd resigned myself to deterioration that would end the fun in going in the mountains and that has not happened.

slightly off your topic but perhaps relevant in a small way.

Post edited at 09:24
OP im off 30 Apr 2021
In reply to wercat:

Yeah. I was resigning myself to something surgical with this ankle but this bit of rubber is bloody brill. Simple things.....

Rock on oldies🤘

plyometrics 30 Apr 2021
In reply to wercat:

Was it Sidas, or the ski shop? Was thinking of trying either one of those out for custom insoles, but didn’t know if they were any good. 

wbo2 30 Apr 2021
In reply to wercat:

Simple , honest question, but how do you think the midsole did this?  I mean , something like it supported the midfoot by being rigid, moved weight bearing from midfoot to heel and toe etc.

SouthernSteve 30 Apr 2021
In reply to im off:

If you have a good podiatrist in your area linked to a physio clinic I would see the physio and then go from there. There is always the issue that some physio's like orthotics and others don't which is why I suggest finding a physio with that association. Reading your history you might need something custom made. Often you can have a home-made 'in-sole' made of the normal insole and bits of felt to try it out and then confirm that the thing works. Its a long way from you, but Steve Avil is excellent https://www.lboro.ac.uk/sport/physiotherapy-clinic/team/

OP im off 30 Apr 2021
In reply to SouthernSteve:

Cheers Steve.

Yeah I've seen a physio who also did podiatry. She worked out that I pronate and gave me semicustom insoles with medial wedge on the heal. They were not helpful. They increased my medial knee pain. Makes sense as it would send more weight down medial side. I'm not straightforward I guess and it's making the best of a bad job. You tip your feet one way and it'll help one area but stress another. Maybe your guy is better than mine. I've stumbled on these insoles almost by accident. I may go see a podiatrist and ask their opinion or tentatively just see what they do with time.

wercat 30 Apr 2021
In reply to plyometrics:

Anything Technical was the name.  Despite my scepticism I wear the insoles in all types of footwear except rockboots and they have stood up to everything from the Alps, scrambling and scree on skye to winter walking and climbing.

SouthernSteve 30 Apr 2021
In reply to im off:

Sounds like you are in good hands. S

OP im off 30 Apr 2021
In reply to SouthernSteve:

Yeah, reading his biography, he sounds very experienced. My "podiatrist" was a physio branching out.

wercat 30 Apr 2021
In reply to wbo2:

I think the collapsed state of my feet had lengthened them (the left foot had overtaken the right in size fitting from being shorter up to the end of my 20s to being longer in my late 40s.  I suspect the toe stubbing was cured by the support for the arch and my knees by the better resulting posture and more secure boot fit.

I was really sceptical and went down to be fitted thinking that I'd spend the money because not giving it a try would have thrown away the mountains for me - ie a forlorn hope rather than expecting benefit.

plyometrics 30 Apr 2021
In reply to wercat:

Thanks. Might give them a whirl. 

JohnBson 30 Apr 2021
In reply to im off:

Personally I'd recommend seeing a decent sports physio to get your knees tracking correctly. Highly likely this can be done by strengthening your supporting musculature. I found that my broken bits were pretty much rejuvenated when I did the right exercises and stretches. No insoles kept me happy ring term as they didn't fix the real issue. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...