Inov8 Terraclaw 250 Trail Running Shoes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 climb41 21 Nov 2017
Some advice please.....ordered a pair of Hoka One Speedgoat trail shoes, but the supplier has now come back and said none in stock of my size, so offering the Inov8 Terraclaw 250 as an alternative. Had a look at them on Inov8 website and they seemed what I wanted, with a thicker sole for longer distances... Then of course googled and found some reviews that said they were thin soled and gave good feeling of the ground underfoot etc... So now confused.

Anyone got any experience of them? I moved to the Hokas because the soles of my feet felt slightly sore after running longer distances in my Solomons.

Thank you.
 Dark-Cloud 21 Nov 2017
In reply to climb41:

Totally different shoes, if you are using Hoka just cancel the order and go elsewhere, sportshoes have some decent deal on Hoka at the moment, as do Pete Blands

Just out of interest which Salomons were giving you issues ? Might be worth trying some different Salomons if they fit well
 ChrisBrooke 21 Nov 2017
In reply to climb41:
THey're my main shoe at the moment. Thicker and more supportive than my (minimalist-ish) Roclite 295s, so they feel relatively comfy, but I still wouldn't put them in the 'plush' category, if that's what you're after.

edit: for £50 at the moment at Sportshoes.com they're a pretty tasty proposition. Definitely not Hoka levels of bounce though.
Post edited at 09:34
OP climb41 21 Nov 2017
In reply to Dark-Cloud:
Thanks for the reply. It was Sportsshoes who i originally ordered from. Will try Pete Bland.

Salomon Speedcross 3 were my others, been through 3 pairs now.

OP climb41 21 Nov 2017
In reply to ChrisBrooke:

Thanks for the reply. Yes, seemed a bargain on Sportsshoes. But worried about the padding.

Think I will try and stick with the Hokas.

Dark-Cloud 21 Nov 2017
In reply to climb41:

The Speedcross have no rockplate and are very flexible in the forefoot, try the sense range, the new SLAB Sense Ultra is an awesome shoe although not cheap, i did a 40 mile ultra with them straight out of the box, if its trail you are mainly doing consider the Hoka Challenger ATR
 Burnsie 21 Nov 2017
In reply to climb41:

I got a pair off sportshoes and i'd describe them as cushioned hill shoes rather than trail shoes. Fine for some of the stuff i'm looking to do but definitely not cushioned enough for me on forestry tracks and other hard packed surfaces. Now looking at something like Brookes Caldera for something comfy to eat up the forestry trails.

Anyone used the caldera's ?
 steveriley 21 Nov 2017
In reply to climb41:

I'm about 300km into a pair of Terraclaw 250s and really like them - bread and butter trail shoe for most of what I do. Alternating with Terraclaw 220 for (occasionally) feeling fast and X-Talon 215 for proper mud and fells. They're the cushioned shoe out of that lot but I like fairly low to the ground.

Different shoe to the Hokas, but similar drop and lug depth.
 wbo 21 Nov 2017
In reply to climb41:
The main lesson is take away from this to go and actually looks at some shoes - I like Salomon s lab sense, but dislike pretty much everything else mentioned in this thread.

It's a tricky business.
 Wonrek 21 Nov 2017
In reply to climb41:

Over the years I've noticed from other runners that you're either a Salomon runner or an Inov* runner. Nothing wrong with either shoe just what works for us as individuals.

Salomon runners seem to also transition into Hoka readily whereas Invo8 runners don't.

I'm a Speedcross/Speedgoat runner myself
OP climb41 21 Nov 2017
In reply to Wonrek:

Firstly thanks to all the replies, food for thought. Yes, I agree, trying on shoes is best and hopefully may do that very soon!

I did try a pair of Inov8, I think they were Roclite or maybe Mudclaw, straight out the box. Inov8 had a stand at a Lakeland Trails event, offering them for a try out, then return after the race, so I gave it a go. Have to say, I was impressed at the grip in the mud and no issues with comfort. But, it was a muddy, soft course and that is why I think I need the more padded shoe, as my runs tend to be on harder trails.
 Dark-Cloud 21 Nov 2017
In reply to climb41:

What somebody said above is true, folk usually come down in the Salomon or inov8 camp, personally I wouldn’t have a pair of inov8 if you paid me, every pair I have tried have been badly designed unreliable pieces of crap, each to their own and all that ! I wear Salomon

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...