Home made long run snack recipes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 George Ormerod 20 Jan 2020

I prefer real food to gels, bars, etc. and I like to bake.  Care to share any recipes for good snacks?  Especially savory ones for fueling really long runs in the mountains.

Roadrunner6 21 Jan 2020
In reply to George Ormerod:

PB and J sandwiches, ideally made from whole wheat bread.

I make up 2-3 and put them in individual sandwiches. Awesome food.

Basically sustained the Allies in WW2. They can get squashed up, have quick sugars, protein and slow release in the bread. I've become a massive fan since moving state side.

Post edited at 01:28
 girlymonkey 21 Jan 2020

Chop some bits of veg small, scramble some eggs and mix together. Put the mix into silicon cup cake cases and bake. The silicon helps protect them when you take them with you.

Gone for good 21 Jan 2020
In reply to Roadrunner6:

> PB and J sandwiches, ideally made from whole wheat bread.

> I make up 2-3 and put them in individual sandwiches. Awesome food.

> Basically sustained the Allies in WW2. They can get squashed up, have quick sugars, protein and slow release in the bread. I've become a massive fan since moving state side.

I know but, peanut butter and jam? Really???

BusyLizzie 21 Jan 2020
In reply to Gone for good:

> I know but, peanut butter and jam? Really???

Yes yes yes.

wbo2 21 Jan 2020
In reply to Gone for good:every time

Slackboot 21 Jan 2020

Peanut butter and jam were made for each other. ☺

Gone for good 21 Jan 2020
In reply to BusyLizzie:

I'll have to give it a try and report back in my taste test!

Are we talking crunchy peanut butter or smooth and any recommendations on jam?

cousin nick 21 Jan 2020

I also prefer savoury to sweet. Cold roast potatoes (salted) are good and I also like those packs of mini starters (bhajis, samosas, spring rolls etc). I'm not much of a baker, but I do occasionally make my own flapjack with added nuts, seeds and fruit. I've also been recommended cold pizza, so might give that a go on a training run too.

N

r0b 21 Jan 2020

Small par boiled potatos with a bit of salt on them are good, easy on the palate after eating a load of sweet bars and gels

kathrync 21 Jan 2020

> Are we talking crunchy peanut butter or smooth and any recommendations on jam?

This is one of my favourites too, also for hill days.  I like crunchy peanut butter with the Bonne Maman blueberry conserve.  Not too much jam though, or it gets too sweet.

EuanM 21 Jan 2020

I bought some reusable baby food sachets/tubes from Amazon. You can make up your own real food “gels” and spoon them into the containers.

Best combination so far has been: banana, frozen strawberries, oats, honey, peanut butter, almond milk and a little cinnamon. All in the blender. 

For baking you could do a banana bread. There are good recipes that include coconut oil which I guess should help for long days out.

Easier option would be buttered Soreen. 

Post edited at 11:03
 galpinos 21 Jan 2020

Malt loaf is the obvious one, with salty butter if I have anything to do with it. (two slices buttered, put together like a sandwich butter side in). I also quite like beef jerky.

Another favourite is "LAMM Pittas". Pitta Bread with ham and cheese* inside, but heated in the oven'toasted under a grill** so the cheese melts then cooled and it all sticks together. Can be cut in halves or strips.

*Ham can be replaced with no meat alternatives if required. but you need the cheese to keep it stuck together.

**Can be microwaved too I guess 

BusyLizzie 21 Jan 2020

Crunchy for me. Jam? My home-made. Failing that, any will do.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2012/jan/22/hugh-fearnley-whitting...

The peanut butter takes some of the toothaching sweetness of some flapjack recipes. Be careful not to over bake as it quickly goes crunchy rather than gooey making it difficult to eat on the go.

hokkyokusei 21 Jan 2020
In reply to galpinos:

> Malt loaf is the obvious one, with salty butter 

*Peanut butter

Shaunhaynes99 21 Jan 2020

Crunchy always  crunchy.. .

Pb-climb-up 21 Jan 2020

Have a Google of rice cakes for cycling they are easy to make and limitless combos

Schmiken 21 Jan 2020
In reply to Pb-climb-up:

Look out for the book Feedzone Portables.

Basemetal 21 Jan 2020

Porridge bread. With or without add-ins. Can be just moist enough to eat on its own. It's a household staple here now...

https://www.mudandroutes.com/porridge-bread-ultimate-mountain-carb/

Ardo 21 Jan 2020

Peanut butter and Marmite. Adjust the Marmite level according to your fondness for the stuff and Robert is your mother's brother.

Phil Tucker 24 Jan 2020

Find these really good, i add some stem ginger to them, very tasty.

https://rockrun.com/blogs/how-to-guides/power-flapjack-recipe

steveriley 24 Jan 2020

I've a thing for peanut butter and tomato sarnies. The tomato stops it being as cloying. I also get on well with hot cross buns chopped into quarters, if you fancy baking something like that.

Michael-H 15 Feb 2020

Hannah Grant has some good recipies on youtube for cycling energy bars, but I find they work for me on longer runs, there was a savoury rice bar one with egg in it which I can't find a link to which were great, but these are good as well....

youtube.com/watch?v=RG7bWKK9G7E&

Michael-H 15 Feb 2020

Basically like these.....

youtube.com/watch?v=e0osaNrjGvE&

BusyLizzie 15 Feb 2020

Either form of peanut butter - I prefer crunchy. Jam - either my home made blackberry jelly, or failing that apricot.

shuffle 15 Feb 2020
In reply to Basemetal:

This looks interesting! What sort of things do you add to it?

Basemetal 16 Feb 2020
In reply to shuffle:

Toasted seeds, especially pumpkin . Or bits of Edam,  bacon, sausage, for a "full breakfast" feel - though that usually gets scoffed before it cools. You name it... To me it works better savoury. Plain is pretty good too though.

shuffle 16 Feb 2020
In reply to Basemetal:

Thanks, I'm going to give these ideas a go

BusyLizzie 16 Feb 2020

Right now I've got my feet up after a long and very wet run, eating one of the peanut butter cookies I made yesterday. Less sugar than the recipe said, and added a handful of  cashew and hazelnuts (chopped a bit) and a handful of raisins. Quite big chunky cookies. I reckon two or three of those would keep me on my feet in the hills for some hours.

In reply to Everyone:

Excellent suggestions, particularly the Porridge bread and the feed zone portables.   Someone told me about that ages ago, but I forgot the name of it. 

Of course peanut butter and jam is just wrong and the work of the devil 😉

climb41 16 Feb 2020
In reply to Schmiken:

> Look out for the book Feedzone Portables.

Another vote for this book. I love their rice cakes with scrambled egg and bacon in, with added soy sauce and wee bit of sugar (it’s never going to be sweet..). Lovely and easy to eat on the go. 

Update to this - I've cooked the Porridge Bread and it's amazing - so easy, density of a neutron star and really tasty.

Feedzone portables landed yesterday and the recipes in it look great too; lots of baking over the weekend.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...