Hoka Trainers or Asics Kayanos for Trail Running?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 thelostjockey 04 Jun 2019

Hello,

I use Asics Kayanos for my running as I need the support for my calf muscles and Achilles. However, as I am doing more trail running, I was thinking of getting something with more grip. 

I had a pair of Inov8 Mudclaws but they did not give me enough support and I soon got tendinitis. 

I was thinking of some Hoka Challengers, but wonder if they offer enough support. Is anyone able to offer some advice, someone who knows the types of trainers?

Grateful for your time.

plyometrics 04 Jun 2019
In reply to thelostjockey:

Speaking from extensive experience, both of the shoes and chronic Achilles tendinopathy, I’m an advocate of Challengers. However, I would also suggest looking at the Salomon Speedcross, which has a bigger drop and is therefore ‘kinder’ on the Achilles.

Bear in mind you’ll not get a grip as good as your Inov8s with either of those though.  

If you are struggling with your Achilles, I can’t recommend the Alfredson protocol highly enough. Better solution than any shoe!

https://www.verywellhealth.com/the-alfredson-protocol-for-achilles-tendonit...

Good luck with whatever you choose. 

wbo 04 Jun 2019
In reply to thelostjockey:personally I think you're going to do some legwork looking at shoes.   Speedcross have a bunch of heel cushioning but the midfoot is really flexible compared to a kayano. 

I have a pair of toad Hokas - they don't work for me 

Some years ago I did 1000's of miles off-road in Kayanos - generally they worked pretty well. Your experience may differ...

gooberman-hill 05 Jun 2019

I don't have Achilles issues, but I have an (30 years old) compound heel fracture. Hokas are the only shoes I can run in (and I run exclusively off-road, as it doesn't knacker my ankle)

Challangers are really nice light comfortable shoes, but the sole construction is not that hardy. So they are fine if you want to run on gentle trails and footpaths.

If you are going to go out onto more rugged and rocky terrain (say the Snowdon Horseshoe), then they won't last. For rugged terrain, I would recommend Speedgoats - they are a brilliant all-mountain shoe. I've used them on most of the big ultras I have run, and have never had a problem.

Steve

OP thelostjockey 06 Jun 2019

Thank you for your suggestions, very helpful; it has moved me on a bit for sure. Thank you.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...