Hoka Sizing ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dark-Cloud 03 Aug 2017
How do Hokas size up ? Are they true to size or do folk size up a half or whole size ?

Am normally firmly in the Salomon camp when it comes to shoes but having just done an ultra in Switzerland (i ran in a pair of the new Salomon SLAB Ultras straight out of the box without an issue) but the most popular shoe was without doubt the Hoka, so was going to buy a pair in the sales to give them a try and see what they are like.
Ste Brom 03 Aug 2017
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

I'm a size 8. Bought a size 9.
Break them in easy, they're killing me.
 lummox 03 Aug 2017
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

I have the Cliftons and they're pretty much the same size as my other shoes. They're not that broad though..
 plyometrics 03 Aug 2017
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

I've had at least 10 pairs of different Hokas, including Stinson road, Stinson ATR, Clifton (1, 2 and 3), and Challengers (1 and 2) and Mafates and all have been true sizing for me.

Never once had a problem with them in this respect.

They're not for everyone, but I would highly recommend at least trying them.
 mountainbagger 03 Aug 2017
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

I used to use Asics for road running, Salomon for mixed and Innov8 for trail. Salomon and Innov8 seemed OK for me at size 10. Asics have progressively got tighter/smaller over the years so 10 was too small, so I think probably 10.5 for Asics now, however...

I switched to Hoka (for road running) a few months ago after being convinced by a sales guy at a marathon expo and I haven't looked back. I went with size 10.5 (so half a size bigger than my Salomon and Innov8, but probably what I'd go for in an Asics shoe these days) as he suggested going up at least a half size (some go a whole size up he said).

Unlike a previous poster, I did not need to break them in - they were awesome from the start! However, it probably depends which shoes you were used to before you got them.

I'm considering getting the trail version (Challenger?) next as my Salomon's stink and the sole is wearing out. My only concern is whether they are robust enough.
 plyometrics 03 Aug 2017
In reply to mountainbagger:

Like you, never had to break in a pair of Hokas!

Challengers are superb would highly recommend for trail. Last longer than any pair of Inov8s I've owned.

Only once did I have a problem with the sole peeling away. Sent them back to Sports Shoes and got a replacement pair.
 StefanB 03 Aug 2017
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

I mainly wear Sallomon as well and when I tried Hokas the sizing seemed the same for me.
 Y Gribin 03 Aug 2017
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

I'm size 11 in Saucony, size 11.5 in Hokas (Cliftons and Challengers). I've heard of others going up half a size. They're brilliant - wouldn't wear anything else on roads.
 mrj_langley 03 Aug 2017
In reply to Dark-Cloud:
In the shop we've found that everyone has gone up half a size from their standard road shoe when moving over to the hokas. I've personally found that they come up quite narrow too across the mid foot (Clifton 3 and challenger) so be aware of this as for a broad foot like mine I don't think they'd ever work regardless of sizing up.
OP Dark-Cloud 03 Aug 2017
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Cheers all, so in Salomon Speedcross 4 i am 9.5, the new Ultras i am in a 9, so i am guessing a 9.5 Hoka would be good ?

What models are most using on trail/mountain ?
 markk 03 Aug 2017
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

I'm reliably size 8.5 in Salomons, including Speedcross. I found the Hoka Mafate (older model) a bit short in the toe box, but the Hoka Speedgoats 8.5 fit me perfectly. I'm now on my fourth pair of Speedgoats for trail & mountain running & can't rate them highly enough. Wore a pair for the Dragon's Back Race which included some rocky terrain like Crib Goch.

My only criticism is that the uppers wear quite quickly along the sides, especially if you use them in snow with a hard crust. I now give the sides a coating of seamgrip from new & that seems to make them last.

Hope that helps!

plyometrics 03 Aug 2017
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

There are no hoka models designed for the UK 'mountain' environment IMHO, unless you're sticking to good trails and paths.

I sometimes wear my Challengers in the fells on dry days, but I don't think their sole is aggressive enough for wet steep ascents / descents or lots of mud.

Equally, when I'm running in the alps I'll never take my inov8s, Challengers or Speedcross every time.

In answer to your question, I personally think the Challenger is probably one of their most versatile models, particularly if you end up finding yourself on a bit of everything.

Roadrunner5 03 Aug 2017
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Roughly the same, in finding the speed goats slightly smaller than the cliftons though.
 TobyA 03 Aug 2017
In reply to plyometrics:

> There are no hoka models designed for the UK 'mountain' environment IMHO, unless you're sticking to good trails and paths.

I've got the Hoka Tor boots, they're great for the UK mountains. Some reviewers have said they run happily in theirs, although I'm not much of a runner so have mainly just hiked in mine. They're not even too bad for scrambling in, done Tryfan N Ridge and Bristly in mine.

On sizing, I was told they tended to be quite small for their size but it turned out they seem spot on - I wear 42 in most brands and 42 Hokas fit me well too.
 plyometrics 03 Aug 2017
In reply to TobyA:

True. Had forgotten about their boot range, although, no idea what the soles on those are like
 TobyA 03 Aug 2017
In reply to plyometrics:

Good grippy Vibram on the ones I have. Actually looking at their site, they have a "mountain range" with some low top shoes as well as boots. They look more like approach shoes, but I guess maybe you could run in them too. I guess heavier than the running models, although even the boots are still impressively light!
 wbo 03 Aug 2017
In reply to Dark-Cloud: I have a pair of Clifton 3's. I normally wear Nike and Salomon, and went 'true' on size, but would likely be happier a half size up.

I would not want them as my only running shoes. Sometimes I love them, sometimes I hate them for simply beeing too soft and having no rebound, so running in them Calls for some real effort. Also, as they're so soft I can feel different parts of my feet sinking in at different rates.

A real acquired taste, but sometimes fantastic. Anyone tried Dynaflytes?

steelbru 03 Aug 2017
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

For me Hoka size the same as Salomon, and 0.5 size up from Inov-8.

Not tried them yet, but the new Speedgoat 2 ( a complete re-design, not just cosmetic changes over v1 ) are getting great reviews for gnarly trail - still won't be a fell shoe though. Sound more rugged than the Challenger. Doubt you'll find the Speedgoat2 in the sales yet though. Challenger 3 can be had for £69.99

For those with wider feet then they've just started to introduce wider fittings - the new Clifton 4 is available in a 2E wide fitting as well as the standard width - this is a road ( or very light trial ) shoe.
 Roadrunner5 03 Aug 2017
In reply to steelbru:
I was given the SG2s by a rep.

I love them but gnarly trail?

They are still high but also don't last that well, mine are showing abrasion damage on the upper.

I do like them though, very comfy as you'd expect. But on rooty or technical ground I'd worry about my ankles.
 steelbru 04 Aug 2017
In reply to Roadrunner5:

Ahh ok, point noted about not for gnarly stuff - will stick with Inov8 X-Claw for that.

Had you ever used the SG1 ( or Rapa Nui which the previous name for the SG ) , if so is SG2 an improvement ?
OP Dark-Cloud 04 Aug 2017
In reply to plyometrics:

Cheers, i would probably stick with something a bit more traditional for the UK hills/fell to be honest, just if doing something >15 miles i tend to stick to paths etc for ease of travel so pretty stony and hard.

happy with Speedcross in the alps generally but find that the forefoot can get a bit sore with very rocky trails as they have no rockplate

Will go try a pair of Speedgoats on i think and see how they feel.
 Roadrunner5 04 Aug 2017
In reply to steelbru:
I've only worn cliftons before.

I'm currently mainly wearing Salming.

No nonsense shoe. Just a basic simple no thrills trail shoe that lasts for well over 500, even 1000 miles and over here only $100.
OP Dark-Cloud 04 Aug 2017
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Cheers all, just picked up a pair of Challenger ATR3's for £65, 9.5 was spot on, speegoat was a 9 but didn't like the feel as much.
 markk 04 Aug 2017
In reply to Roadrunner5:

Hadn't heard of 'Salming' until just now & to begin with I thought you meant a Salomon shoe designed specifically for Scottish summer weather. However, having just educated myself with some googling, the Salming Trail 5 looks rather interesting - is that what you're wearing? And how's the fit/sizing on Salming compared to the Hoka Speedgoat?
 Roadrunner5 04 Aug 2017
In reply to markk:
My mates a rep for them in this area and he's sick of shops thinking he's selling Solomons..

No, I'm wearing the T2, the T3 is the new version of that. Strangely the T5 is a separate type of shoe and they've only just arrived in the local shop. They look nice, a thicker sole than the T3 I think but I've only had a quick look when my mare had a sample pair.

The T2/T3 is a go anywhere shoe. Fine for road, trail, mountain. More of a trail shoe but can handle anything. Around here I run on everything so they are my main shoe. I've done over 400 miles and the soles are showing wear but the upper is untouched. In comparison my roclite 305s lasted 200 miles before the upper was shredded.

I think I'll get the t5s tomorrow.

I have 11.5 US in the T2 and SG2 and I think the SG2 are a tad smaller. Otherwise quite similar.
Post edited at 22:39
 markk 04 Aug 2017
In reply to Roadrunner5:

Thanks for that - would be interested to hear what you have to say when you've tried the T5's as well..
 Roadrunner5 13 Aug 2017
In reply to markk:

They didnt come with the order so still waiting.

I'm wearing the en route road shoe which is basically the same fit and upper but a different sole and like them, but still waiting on the T5.
 mountainbagger 24 Aug 2017
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

> Cheers all, just picked up a pair of Challenger ATR3's for £65, 9.5 was spot on, speegoat was a 9 but didn't like the feel as much.

Nice one. My Challenger ATR3's arrived today, and they are slightly less roomy in the toe box than the Hoka Clifton road shoes I talked about in my previous post. It's right on the edge of sending back and going a whole size bigger rather than the half size I went for, but perhaps a bit of breaking in and they will be similar to the Clifton.

As a reminder of my earlier post (for others just reading this one), I am normally 10 for Salomon and Inov8 and went 10.5 for Hoka.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...