Hip pain post run

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Levy_danny 02 Mar 2021

Hi All,

I ran a half on Saturday probably a fair bit quicker than I was expecting to and have ended up with quite a painful hip.. It feels quite deep within the muscle possibly in the joint. 

Have been for a much slower jog today and really didn't enjoy it but managed to jog it all, I'm planning on taking a couple of days off now but was just wondering if anyone had experienced anything similar and any possible remedies.. 

Thanks

Dan

sheavi07 02 Mar 2021
In reply to Levy_danny:

How old are you and where is the pain located?

OP Levy_danny 02 Mar 2021
In reply to sheavi07:

I'm 35 and I would probably say on the hip bone if I had to try and pinpoint it. Maybe in the muscle/ soft tissue surrounding it.. 

Mattyk 02 Mar 2021
In reply to Levy_danny:

What shoes are you wearing. I think i've had this  when i roll using when wearing mudclaws either in too dry ground or over long distances  the shoes  are high up spikey things . I know little about shoes but i think drop could have something to do with it. I have a more sensible pair of trailrocs and don't suffer the same problem when wearing those.

sheavi07 02 Mar 2021
In reply to Levy_danny:

Do you mean the outside of your thigh - greater trochanter area?  Google it.  

In reply to Mattyk:

That's a good shout actually, I was wearing a new  pair of Hoka road shoes different to  my usual ones. Felt faster but have defnitely got a bigger drop to what I'm used to. That could be it. Wonder if it's  best to  just sack them off... thankfully if I do Hoka do a 30 day returns even if worn. 

The Norris 02 Mar 2021
In reply to Levy_danny:

When you say hip bone, can you be a bit more specific? The hip bone doesnt really exist in an anatomical sense. Have a look at some anatomy diagrams off google and point out roughly where it hurts. 

If it's around the head of femur joint, could be IT band pain? Very difficult to say.

In reply to sheavi07:

I think it could definitely be that spot for sure.. 

sheavi07 02 Mar 2021
In reply to Levy_danny:

Bit of educated guesswork here but have a look at Gluteal Tendinopathy and/or Greater Trochanteric Pain Syndrome. 

Might be nothing also and it may simply go quickly with a change in shoes.

The LEAP trial has a good rehab protocol - https://www.running-physio.com/gluteal-leap/

In reply to Levy_danny:

Thanks for all the help everyone I really appreciate it. From actually learning there is a lot more going  on under the skin round there than I thought ha. I think from what it could be the area Sheavi07 posted and I'm not sure whether it could be bursitis for that area. The  symptoms sounds similar. I do get some physio through work so I'm not sure whether to make an appointment. 

What I maybe should have added is I broke my foot about 6 months ago and I think from reading for the last 10 minutes maybe that caused an imbalance that may have aggrevated this.. 

sheavi07 02 Mar 2021
In reply to Levy_danny:

Bursitis in that area is now under the umbrella of GTPS.  It may be - ask your work Physio to assess you and mention these conditions. I'm a physio btw.

In reply to sheavi07:

Awesome  - will do for sure, it's  not actually in work so when I call up Bupa I'll definitely mention those conditions! Thanks a lot for your help! 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...