Hill OK, road terrible

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 PW 04 Jul 2020

In the last few months I've been getting back into running after a bit of a layoff. The times for my hill runs are broadly similar to four or five years ago, but I can't run on the road. For a 4 mile run I'm barely managing 11 minutes miles and often end up walking.

Any ideas?

SouthernSteve 04 Jul 2020
In reply to PW:

That's a difficult question - more information might be required. Are your hill runs continuous and much slower, or interrupted by walking or are you cruising them at 11:05 and then are not faster on the road? With trippy rough ground I am a good minute /mile slower on the trail and I am not fond of the road. 

Post edited at 12:05
 bouldery bits 04 Jul 2020
In reply to PW:

Atleast you're good somewhere!

I'm universally terrible

mrphilipoldham 04 Jul 2020
In reply to PW:

I can’t run on the road either, find it very difficult to keep up my pace and constantly find myself dropping off. This is purely a mental/boredom thing though.. do you feel it’s physical?

IainL 04 Jul 2020
In reply to PW:

You’ve lost your speed. Hills make you stronger but slower. You need to do speed intervals on the flat.

abr1966 04 Jul 2020
In reply to PW:

I'd be wondering about your core, hip flexor and gluteal strength and also how flexible your hamstrings and calf/Achilles are...

....and as mentioned I'd be looking to do some intervals.....

veteye 04 Jul 2020
In reply to mrphilipoldham:

I often choose a tree or lamp-post, and aim to get past it before the next car or bike or whatever, not that I am that fast.

OP PW 05 Jul 2020
In reply to IainL:

Thanks for all the replies. I'll try flexibility, intervals and getting my head right!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...