HIIT without a HR monitor

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 O'Donopoo 02 May 2018

Hi, I'm looking at starting HIIT to improve anaerobic fitness for running, swimming, and boxing. For the high intensity portion it's suggested to run at 80-95% of my MHR, except that I don't have a heart rate monitor. Is it possible/worthwhile to simply sprint for a certain time/distance rather than knowing exactly what percentage of my MHR I'm at? If not is there a decent way of doing HIIT which doesn't require a HR monitor or do I just have to suck it up and buy one?

Thank you very much for your help and advice.

Stig 02 May 2018
In reply to O'Donopoo:personally If I was doing it I wouldn’t use a HR anyway. You only run for what, 20 secs, so how would you accurately measure it? Just run fast for the allotted time. 

Probably best to run up a slight incline so that you are not flat out sprinting which is a good way to get injured.

btw as I understand it it doesn’t work by improving anaerobic performance per se (‘anaerobic fitness’ is a meaningless term), rather it is supposed to raise your metabolic rate. 

Yanis Nayu 02 May 2018
In reply to O'Donopoo:

HR is no good for high intensity. Use pace. 

BusyLizzie 02 May 2018
In reply to O'Donopoo:

I am trying to build pace by doing fast intervals; just running fast for a rough-and-readily measured distance. No HR monitor and really don't want to get too techy or anatomical! There was a very good thread here a few weeks back and someone said 8 x 400m or 4 x 800m or 3 x 1km once or twice a week with a rest day afterwards, and I am doing that fairly informally (distance measures using gb mapomoeter). I work in London and Regent's Park has some very convenient 400m paths ...

ClimberEd 02 May 2018
In reply to O'Donopoo:

Hi,

Not sure of exact plan or training you are doing, but HR is useless for anything less than (approximately) 3 minutes. 

Below that you can do it by power on a bike, or perceived effort running or in the pool. As you get more experienced you'll get better at evaluating perceived effort. Whilst running you can also use a watch that shows pace but acceleration will get lost in this. Then it is simply a matter of effort time and rest period.

Hope that helps. 

dovebiker 03 May 2018

You don't need a HRM, the whole point of HIIT is you're doing maximal efforts. If you're doing 80% it ain't HIIT!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...