Have I broken my foot?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Herdwickmatt 10 Feb 2021

About a week ago my 6year old daughter fell onto my foot and compressed it sideways. I was sat crosslegged so sole of was perpendicular to the floor. I then ran 10k in relatively new road shoes. My foot began to ache about 4k into the run, and got worse (maybe 4out of 10) but it was -2 so I didn't bother to stop.

Next 2days couldn't easily weight bear on the foot, I can weight bear and walk now but if I try hopping I have to be careful to land on the correct spot. It's sorta of mildly achey alot the time. 

So lets have some wild speculation?

It's broken

It's sprained

It's bruised

I'm a hypochodriac and need to suck it up

ianstevens 10 Feb 2021
In reply to Herdwickmatt:

It's broken, needs amputating and you also have West Nile fever

Gout?

In my experience, a break, even a fairly small hairline one causes very definite localised rather than general swelling, i.e. quite a pronounced lump directly over the injury. 

Removed User 10 Feb 2021

Where are your the sorest? Lateral (outer) aspecting the foot, dorsum (top of foot), lateral or medial (inner) ankle bones?

ianstevens 10 Feb 2021
In reply to ianstevens:

To clarify my point here: get off the internet and go to see a doctor

OP Herdwickmatt 10 Feb 2021
In reply to ianstevens:

But I feel bad because there’s a pandemic and I don’t want to be a burden on the NHS.

Theres no swelling or bruising. The pain is aching across the sort of area where the digits join the metatarsals. I can push and pull the area with no pain. There’s no pain in movement just with impact to the middle of the forefoot. Walking is fine, balancing is fine, calf raises are fine.

Rob Parsons 10 Feb 2021

> But I feel bad because there’s a pandemic and I don’t want to be a burden on the NHS.

> Theres no swelling or bruising. The pain is aching across the sort of area where the digits join the metatarsals. I can push and pull the area with no pain. There’s no pain in movement just with impact to the middle of the forefoot. Walking is fine, balancing is fine, calf raises are fine.

In which case, I'd go for option d) : you're a hypochodriac and need to suck it up.

NEXT!

ianstevens 10 Feb 2021

If you actually think it's broken then that's not "being a burden on the NHS".

Of course if you don't... option d, and you can self-prescribe harden the f*ck up pills

marsbar 10 Feb 2021

My GP is doing phone consultations.  They might be able to do a video call if they need to see the foot.  

Levy_danny 10 Feb 2021

I broke my foot a couple of months ago and it definitely hurt a fair bit when applying pressure to the the area where I broke it. I hobbled down from Stanage to my car but definitely couldn’t have ran a 10k or even 1km after doing it. The guy pretty much Diagnosed a broken foot pre X-ray by prodding it and asking if it hurt. It could be broken for sure but just explaining what my experience was. 

My completely uninformed guess.

You've tweaked something and made it worse by running 10k on it.

If it was badly f*cked you wouldn't have been able to run 10k on it.

Probably it will get better on its own but you could always see a doctor and find out for sure.

Wimlands 10 Feb 2021

Mrs Wilderbeest was in the loft on Sunday, coming down she slipped and went down the full length of the ladder to land with a crunch on the floor. Lot of blood, immediate swelling and a lot of pain. Interestingly enough accident probably caused by her feeling a bit off following her COVID jab.

I suggested popping down to the local NHS walk-in centre, she was having none of it.

Persuaded her to go today, 1 hour later hobbling out with crutches and boot on the foot.

They were pretty quiet and happy to see her.

team fat belly 10 Feb 2021

Give it a few days taking paracetamol and ibuprofen (if you can) as directed, if it is still causing you problems then go to a minor injuries unit (you should be able to self refer) definitely if it is still painful weight bearing, especially if there is localised swelling or significant localised bruising. Your foot is made up of shit loads of bones so its difficult to tell much without a proper physical inspection by someone who knows these things and probably an x ray. You won't be a burden, you will be in and out in a few hours and will have no impact on bed space or A and E and it probably does need looking at even if the only advice is rest and some better pain killers. - From a paramedic

freeflyer 10 Feb 2021

What team fat belly said.

A load of years ago I landed unluckily and managed to catch my foot on the edge of a tarmac road, causing damage somewhat similar to what you describe, but probably a bit more severe.

You need to RICE it, rest, ice, compression and elevation, hopefully this makes sense, if not send me a pm.

I did not bother with the medics (I was abroad) and hobbled around for a significant time with it steadily improving. 13 years later, it occasionally aches, but I ignore it.

Get a compression support on it from Boots, and you should be good. If there are any sharp pains, get in to your GP.

This is the one I have:

https://www.boots.com/boots-advanced-adjustable-ankle-support-10172870

Juicymite86 11 Feb 2021

Yes

OP Herdwickmatt 11 Feb 2021
In reply to team fat belly:

I'm giving it till tomorrow. At the minute I reckon minor injuries is full of sledge accidents. I've gone from hobbling to trying to move more normally to see if it loosens up. 

I had a question which you might be able to answer. When the body is injured it swells to protect the damaged area and provide more blood flow to aid with healing? Why do we take ibuprofen to take the swelling down? is the swelling not a good thing?

elliot.baker 11 Feb 2021

Similar to the poster above I once broke my foot by slipping on the edge of a curb and landing on my foot with it bent the wrong way about 5 years ago. Contrary to what others on here have said, it was 8 weeks until that was diagnosed and in that time I was limping but also bouldering, mountain biking and running (in some moderate discomfort). I only went to the doctors because family said it was swollen with a protruding lump, and I'd been limping for so long assuming it would get better. GP said "no way is that broken if you've been doing all that stuff", sent me for x-ray to confirm, x-ray showed 5th metatarsal avulsion fracture, got put in cast for 4 or 6 weeks or something, then it was ok.

Then in 2019 I rolled the same foot when running on Bleaklow, I heard an audible cracking sound and was like "f**k me I'm gonna die up here" (I was about 16k from the car), hobble / ran / walked back and by the end was running full pelt - I thought yess it's not broken - took shoes off back at the car and ankle was swollen like a tennis ball. Went straight to a minor injuries unit for x-ray - NOT Broken!!! wtf. Rested it for 4 weeks then back to normal.

In summary - I don't think you can know for sure without an x-ray, but you could also perhaps live life normally with a broken foot for months.

Thank you for coming to my TED Talk.

OP Herdwickmatt 12 Feb 2021
In reply to elliot.baker:

Well the votes have been cast and at the recommendation of a doctor friend I had my foot xrayed today. And the answer is......

No break or fracture

I'm relieved, but it's still sore. I guess I'm going to have to be paitent and less the pain and damage heal. They did say that they couldn't for certain say that other muscles/tendons weren't damaged but it seemed to be alright. They said I could refer myself onto physio and through that get more imaging if needed. 

I have to say I was impressed  by the nurse practitioners I saw. They were sympathetic, professional and efficient. 

So rest, vitamin I and elevation. The middle one will be easy the other 2 not so much with 3 little kids!

TurnipPrincess 12 Feb 2021
In reply to marsbar:

Probably it's a good idea to call NHS 111 which is a non-emergency, advice helpline:
https://111.nhs.uk/

Rob Parsons 12 Feb 2021

> Well the votes have been cast and at the recommendation of a doctor friend I had my foot xrayed today. And the answer is......

> No break or fracture

Option d) confirmed.

Thanks for the update.

Removed User 12 Feb 2021

No.  Not broken.  Obviously.

ianstevens 12 Feb 2021

Good to hear. Heal up!

Becky E 14 Feb 2021
In reply to tom_in_edinburgh:

> If it was badly f*cked you wouldn't have been able to run 10k on it.

You say that, but my sister-in-law ran a marathon on a broken ankle.

In reply to Becky E:

> You say that, but my sister-in-law ran a marathon on a broken ankle.

Ouch!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...