Hamstring strain

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 marky 28 Nov 2020

Any good rehab tips for minor hamstring strain. 

Dave Hewitt 28 Nov 2020
In reply to marky:

Rest it within reason for a few days, then gradually ease back in. I've had left-hamstring trouble on/off since tearing it middling-badly while running in the late 1980s, not helped by being tall (6ft8). Has mostly been fine down the years but with quite lengthy spells when it's been less good. My running days have long gone but I'm out on the hills heaps and need to be careful long-striding over streams, crossing stock fences etc. I'm also prone to aggravating it while bending down to pick up stuff - the most recent spell of problems (not currently bad but I'm still aware of it) began on one post-breakfast local legstretch about 18 months ago when I bent down to pick up a can that someone had chucked out of a car, and something "went". Should have bent my knees properly, or - as I now habitually do on morning walks - been carrying one of those litter-picking grabbers around with me.

The good news is that in my experience it settles down fairly quickly - I lose the odd hill day here and there but not weeks at a time. There's also a knack to knowing when to restart - if you wait for it to settle completely and not be something that you can feel at all, then you could leave it forever. Generally I find it's OK to start doing hill stuff again slightly sooner than I think - but there's a need to be careful of rocky or tussocky ground, and particularly downhills where there's a risk of overstriding. Hope that helps, anyway.

(Oh, and I don't do much in the way of formal stretches - have found that those quite often lead to very annoying "injured in the warm-up" tweaks - so instead I prefer to prepare for anything strenuous by going for an easy walk for a mile or so beforehand.)

OP marky 28 Nov 2020
In reply to Dave Hewitt:Thanks yeah tried stretching it but seems to make it worse. Been climbing today which has aggravated it! Maybe need to take it easy for a few days and ease back in.  

RX-78 28 Nov 2020
In reply to marky:

I have the same issue at the moment, googling around says current thinking is that stretching it is bad, as it was probably over stretching it that caused the issue in the first place. So I am just resting up at the moment, I am going to give it about 2 weeks and then try a run

Post edited at 22:44
 Dave Hewitt 28 Nov 2020
In reply to marky:

> Thanks yeah tried stretching it but seems to make it worse. Been climbing today which has aggravated it! Maybe need to take it easy for a few days and ease back in.  

I'm sure there are good and proper ways of stretching hamstrings, but it's really easy to get it wrong and make things worse. I've become very wary of formal stretching regimes, although I know of people who swear by it as a method (and who mostly seem able to do it right).

The other thing is that if it becomes semi-chronic then you can end up with scar tissue / soft tissue damage. I seem to have this to an extent and often when I aggravate things it's not the hamstring as such but the stuff around it, which can feel quite bad but actually settles down fairly quickly (but never really seems to go away completely). If you've only just aggravated yours for the first time it should clear up much more "cleanly", provided you give it chance to do so with a few days of rest.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...