Hamstring rehab

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 GDes 30 May 2021

Anyone got any good knowledge for rehabbing a tweaky hamstring? What are the magic bullet type exercises like the eccentric calf for achilles, and the hammer drill for golfers elbow? Keep thinking it's better and it keeps flaring up every time I go back running.

Thanks in advance 

Herdwickmatt 31 May 2021
In reply to GDes:

I think it tends to be work the glutes (clams and bridges) working up to single leg deadlifts and Nordic curls. 

Obviously it all depends on what imbalance is causing it in the first place...

Sealwife 31 May 2021
In reply to GDes:

Have had tweaky hamstrings for as long as I can remember.

Couple of years ago it got so bad I couldn’t come downstairs without pain, so I saw a podiatrist.

She gave me a fairly brutal calf massage to loosen up all the knots in there, and a pair of heel lifts to wear inside my shoes to take the pressure off while it settled down.  Most importantly she gave me a set of exercises and stretches to be done in sets every second day.

Standing on one leg for a minute each side (if too easy, close my eyes), stand on wobble board/cushion for a minute (again close eyes if too easy) and standard calf and achilles stretches (extend leg out to back, heel on floor, lean forward pushing against wall, and achilles one where you bend leg, lift heel and make like you are perched on a bar stool.

All of these helped (initial massage was like magic - had been limping slightly for months and suddenly wasn’t).

What I found maintained it really well was going to a barre concept class weekly (lots of plies, heel raises, toe-points and targeted recruitment of specific muscle groups).  Since classes ceased owing to lockdown, I’ve been much stiffer but am keeping a flare-up at bay by using elements of barre as a running warm-up (plies, grande-plies, heel raises) and beating my legs up with a muscle gun.

SouthernSteve 31 May 2021
In reply to Sealwife:

That’s really interesting- the therapy you describe fits better with the lower leg. 

SouthernSteve 31 May 2021
In reply to GDes:

Is it hamstrings, hamstring tendinopathy or referred from the lower back?  Knowing that will direct your treatment. 

I find getting a sports massage helps a lot and usually gives me good information where to concentrate my efforts. Although Theraguns and foam rollers help, they are not as good as trained people. 

CantClimbTom 31 May 2021
In reply to GDes:

The exercises to rehab the Achilles depend on whether the damage is low down the heel where it "inserts" (my injury) or if the damage is in the more common place which is half way up the tendon. Doing the normal rehab for insertional injuries can make them worse.

Now that we are coming out of lockdown, see a good physio and get them to identify the problem and best rehab

Sealwife 31 May 2021
In reply to SouthernSteve:

It’s the lower leg I had a problem with on this occasion, so I possibly assumed wrongly that the OP was similar.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...