Graphene or no-graphene

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Herdwickmatt 05 Sep 2020

I’ve run in x talon 212s for the past 4years or so and they are my go to shoes. I need to replace them but they are now only £20 cheaper than the graphene xtalon. Do I stick with what I know or buy the luminous orange  graphene infused super shoe?

steelbru 05 Sep 2020
In reply to Herdwickmatt:

What normally goes first for you, uppers or outsole ?

If it's the uppers then not much point in paying more for a more resilient outsole.

greg_may_ 05 Sep 2020

They ain't that super. 

OP Herdwickmatt 05 Sep 2020
In reply to steelbru:

Mmm... on my xtalons definitely the soles. I usually run in the Cheviots so it tends to be muddy, but I’m doing some recceing of the BGR so rockier and tougher on the dole.

Greg, have you tried them? What don’t you like about them?

stuartf 05 Sep 2020

I have the graphene roclite 275s and the sole is definitely wearing much better than the old 305s. Done about 700km in them and they're only just beginning to show some minor wear, whereas the 305s were worn enough by 800km that the grip was fairly compromised. If it's the sole that usually goes first on your current shoes then I think it's worth a punt.

greg_may_ 05 Sep 2020

Soles are fine, not super tacky but not slippy - uppers still get trashed on gritstone.  Only things that last for me are iRocks! 

OP Herdwickmatt 05 Sep 2020
In reply to greg_may_: the irocks look good, I know my inov8 size though so it’s easier to mail order them. How do irocks size?

bouldery bits 05 Sep 2020

Having used XTalons, both graphene and non-graphene here's my thoughts. I am very very rubbish at fell running so please factor this in when considering my views.

I found the older ones to be very slightly better on wet rock and the new ones feel a little less cushioned. This is minor though and may well be my expectation that the new graphene grip would be magic! It's not magic but is pretty good. 

However, the orange graphene one's soles are wearing a lot better. Done  atleast 200km and still look totally fresh. I am impressed with the uppers which are also toughened with the use of Kevlar! I also like the Orange. 

In short, worth the extra £20? IMO Yes.

Cheers,

BB

Post edited at 19:12
OP Herdwickmatt 09 Sep 2020
In reply to bouldery bits:

Having thought about for a week I can’t decide between the irock 3 and the graphene xtalons.... 

Swampi 10 Sep 2020

I am on my second pair of X-Talon 235Gs. The first pair fell apart after only a week of running - by the third run the rubber leaves pealed away and by the sixth the sole was splitting apart. Every other person I have met with them has had the same issues and said they would not get them again.

However, Inov8 replaced mine and this second pair have had none of the above issues so far. A faulty batch maybe?

Ignoring these major concerns they are a great shoe. I've been fell running for over twenty-five years and used Inov8 since they burst onto the scene. Many of my Inov8s have fallen apart on the upper before the sole gives in, but not on any of the shoes I've had with this all in one tough ballistic fabric. Another benefit of the fabric is that a splash of water doesn't soak your foot like the mesh models, but the water still escapes easily after a stream crossing.

They can feel a little tight across the toes at first, but a few runs in the wet and this goes.

I prefer the X-Talon sole over the Mudclaw mainly because the latter is not a solid stud and once they wear down a bit they split to reveal the smaller stud within. Particularly on the studs under the ball of the foot. Those new Mudclaws with the S grip sole wear down horribly too due to the consistently flat angle of the sole. Furthermore, the X-talon sole is nicer all round due to being better on rock. To be honest, I'm not convinced by the graphene sole whether it is any grippier or hard wearing than the originals - sometimes I wonder if it is the opposite.

I've had the X-talon 212s and 200s, but these 235Gs are much more cushioned at the back with more foam and a springy rock plate. In fact they feel as cushioned as the many much heavier Mudclaws I've owned.  I massively prefer them for long runs because of this.

Hope that helps.

greg_may_ 10 Sep 2020
In reply to Swampi:

Agree with the new Mudclaw tread - it's just not that good.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...