GPS rule in Scottish hill running championship

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jay.mac 19 Sep 2021

Does the rule mean you are unable to take a GPS watch or just that you are unable to use it to navigate?

I like the principle that they are not reliable so should not be relied on but then either is a map a compass if the map blows away or the compass get broken?

I would think only an out and out ban on carrying them would satisfy some people concerned about foul play, but really only cheating yourself if you use it for an advantage. 

Not sure where I land on this as I like retaining some of the tradition of it but I am a bit of a wava stranker and like having the details of the race recorded. 

https://www.scottishhillrunners.uk/NewsItems.aspx?NewsItemID=62943

DaveHK 19 Sep 2021
In reply to jay.mac:

Unless it's changed (and from the link it doesn't appear so) you can wear a gps watch but not use it to navigate. If you use it in an emergency you should declare that and withdraw from the race.

Most folk are honest about it but I know of at least one individual who used it to cheat their way to a podium place which is disappointing to say the least.

"Reliance on any kind of electronic device for navigation is unsafe" this is a load of bollocks really but the elephant in the room is that significant number hill runners are not competent navigators.

Post edited at 13:20
 Denning76 19 Sep 2021
In reply to jay.mac:

You can definitely use them to gain an advantage and place higher than you should. That's cheating others as well as yourself. Normally the rules allow for them to be used for post race analysis, but not navigation. I just have an activity profile with no data fields save for the time of day on it - actually prefer it anyways as I'd rather run by feel and not see my heart rate etc.

The 'reliability' argument is a load of rubbish, but they do represent an advantage if you preload the route, and I quite like that banning their use for navigation effectively prevents one from gaining an advantage simply by spending money.

Post edited at 15:03
 petemeads 19 Sep 2021
In reply to jay.mac:

The latest update for recent Garmin watches, including my Fenix 6, has Adventure Race for just this situation - once selected, no GPS or map information on the screen. At the end of the race there is a Verify function where you can demonstrate you have not cheated. Sounds clever, I am unlikely to need it!

Dave B 19 Sep 2021
In reply to petemeads:

This seems like a good use of technological capability. Good one Garmin.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...