Good hill runs near Glasgow?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 PPP 06 Jul 2018

I picked up hill running lately - finally got a car, so driving to run makes all the sense, doesn't it . I am not the biggest fan of running in the city. 

I have done Cort-ma Law, Whangie and some farm runs. Any suggestions for not too long runs, with good scenery and okay underfoot? 

Ideally under an hour away from Glasgow. 

andrew ogilvie 06 Jul 2018
In reply to PPP:

Mell Trail around kinglas reservoir at Brig O Turk ( I always walked the first hill on the tarmac as its too steep without warming up)  , about 15 miles on land rover track but up to 600m.

If you've  a running partner or cars both ends Loch Chon to Inversnaid, easier to run in that direction as you don't have the steep ascent from Loch Lomond ,about half marathon.

Ben Venue from Ledard

Ben Lomond from Rowardennan

The Cobbler from Succoth/Arrochar/Tarbet depending how warmed up you want to be for the first climb.

andrew ogilvie 06 Jul 2018
In reply to PPP:

Also lots of nice tracks round Mugdock Park. and out towards Carbeth and Strathblane, natural circuits possible from about 5k to 20k

OP PPP 06 Jul 2018
In reply to andrew ogilvie:

Many thanks! Will look them up and see what's possible for myself.

I am nowhere near the fitness to run 27km - I did 17+ km in under 2 hours with no training, but that was both stupid and unsustainable. I'm slowly picking up running again and hoping to actually get better at it. 

Mugdock certainly sounds good, did some rides there and it's close to home as well. 

daftdazza 07 Jul 2018
In reply to PPP:

My favourite running location close to Glasgow is the kilpatrick hills, only 15 min away by train and lots of different route variations, all terrain is runnable with awesome views.  Dumgoyne and over to earl seat is also good.  Further away Dumyat from Stirling uni is good, mugdock is nice for off road run but no sustained gradient, luss hills are awesome, loop taking in conic hill and cashel forest is also very good, locally you can get a great xc run in at Daswholm park and along the river to Glasgow uni campus at garscube.

colinakmc 07 Jul 2018
In reply to PPP:

The Pentlands just qualify as under an hour from Glasgow. So might the Ochils. With nice paths up and easy going on the tops.

Some nice circular routes on Tinto.

EuanM 07 Jul 2018
In reply to PPP:

Conic Hill from Drymen, gives you a nice warm up before the hill

Ben Ledi

Ben Vorlich (Lochearnhead) is a really underrated hill run imo

Beinn Ime from Arrochar gives you a bit of distance

Tinto hill is a classic hill race route 

Doug88 11 Jul 2018
In reply to PPP:

I'd second Mugdock, it also has good access to the WHW so lots of potential loops.

Chatleraux country park is alright for a wee trail run.

The best beta I've got is from this book that my wife got me:  

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Scottish-Trail-Running-Great-Runs/dp/1906095396

It covers areas all around Scotland. Each area starts with some ~5km routes and works its way up to longer routes (around 30km).  

OP PPP 11 Jul 2018
In reply to Doug88:

Thanks - I don't think I ever bought a book that quickly! 

Brendan 15 Jul 2018
In reply to PPP:

Dumgoyne is a great wee hill - short and very steep, the views from the top are spectacular for somewhere so close to Glasgow:

http://www.lochlomond-trossachs.org/things-to-do/walking/hillwalking/dumgoy...

Also, it is just off the West Highland Way, so you can add a bit of that in if you want to make it longer. 

Pina 16 Jul 2018
In reply to EuanM:

I second the Ben Vorlich (with Stuc A'Chroin and returning round the side of Ben Vorlich).

Otherwise to add to the existing list:

-Beinn Dubh (from Luss)

Post edited at 03:08

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...