goat fell

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Matt Rees 24 Apr 2017
What's the best approach to get some way up goat fell and get a decent view if you start in Brodick. Glen Rosa? Can probably manage 8 miles or so.

I have a few hours on Arran this week and thought id try and make the most of it...
 Chris the Tall 24 Apr 2017
In reply to Matt Rees:

I think if you run up the main track (through the castle grounds) you gain height pretty quickly and will get a cracking view within a couple of miles - I have such a photo on my PC !

Obviously the view from the summit is even better and is about 4 miles from the car park

If you want something with less ascent then a run up Glen Rosa would be nice
OP Matt Rees 24 Apr 2017
In reply to Chris the Tall:

Magic thanks.

steelbru 24 Apr 2017
In reply to Matt Rees:

Here's the map for the route of the annual hill race
http://www.scottishhillracing.co.uk/Graphics/Maps/RA-0037-main.jpg
 fmck 24 Apr 2017
In reply to Matt Rees:

Last year I found that it was possible to get the 7am ferry over. Bus round to Sannox then run through Sannox and Rosa and back to ferry with plenty time to catch the 11am ferry back. It meant I could return to work at lunch time only taking the morning off. The paths are really good these days apart from the short scramble on the saddle. I did Goatfell several times last year in a similar style. I start at the Brodick war memorial where I stash a poly bag behind with t.shirttowel inside for after. Still plenty of time before the ferry to drop into the coop and pick up something for lunch at work.
I'm 48 and have never done a race or got into hill running in any serious way so as long as you have reasonable fitness its not too difficult.
Removed User 24 Apr 2017
In reply to fmck:

Did the hill race years back. Managed to get under 1:45. Bloody hard work on a hot day. Painful run in along the road to the sports club after the castle.
 fmck 24 Apr 2017
Thats a fast time compared to me. My best is 2hours 7 minutes. Although last year I just wanted to get under 2 hours before I got a bit fed up doing the same thing and started running through the glens more. I love standing on the saddle at 9am looking at the remote view thinking that in a few hours I will be back behind the desk on the mainland.

Removed User 25 Apr 2017
In reply to fmck:

Just dug out the results sheet. My time was 1.40.48. I use to be fit once........
 morpcat 27 Apr 2017
In reply to Matt Rees:

The main 'tourist track' from Brodick going either via the castle road or past the brewery is the obvious way to go, but I find it much more enjoyable to include North Goatfell, the saddle, and Glen Rosa (either on ascent, descent, or both).

To be honest almost every other hill on the island is actually of more interest. Depending on your scrambling ability, consider starting off by getting the bus to Sannox and heading up Cioch na Oighe, and along that ridge to Goatfell.

Cir Mhor is an excellent choice if you like being out of breath (it's exceptionally steep). But if you head left from there along that ridge you'll have to contend with some rock climbing for the a'chir ridge (which is perfectly doable in trainers if you are of that mind). Similarly if you turned right you'd need to take on the witches step. Trainers still work fine but I strongly recommend heading East along this ridge, never West!

Give me a message if you want more info on good routes or want to meet up for a run/walk/climb.
 fmck 30 Apr 2017
In reply to morpcat:

What's wrong with going west on the witches step? I would imagine the majority of crossings are done this way.
 morpcat 01 May 2017
In reply to fmck:

And I would imagine majority of crossings are not done running. If running and lacking gear to protect or abseil the downclimb it is a safer, faster, and more enjoyable option to go East.
 Nbrain 02 May 2017
In reply to fmck:

If you are confident down climbing nothing but it's much easier to find the bypass route in ascent than descent.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...