Garmin watch problem

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mbh 23 Jan 2022

I have a Garmin 245 that I use for running.

It has been fine until recently when it has started to give me this message:

Activity Storage is full. Delete Activities to free space

At that point I can't seem to do anything but give up. It has happened at the start of a run and in the middle of a run when I restart after a pause.

This happens even though there are no activities stored on the watch. I have gone through the manual and done Reset Default Settings but still I get the same behaviour. I have not knowingly downloaded any apps onto the watch that would take up space.

Has anyone else had this sort of problem, or have any ideas as to what to do?

Wainers44 23 Jan 2022
In reply to mbh:

Mine has never done that but looks like there is a message about it on the garmin website...and a fix??

https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/?faq=PlFK28XCfD9MdlNqjidQn5

OP mbh 23 Jan 2022
In reply to Wainers44:

Thanks. I have seen that and tried it. Sometimes the tempfit folder they mention is there, sometimes not. Whatever, if there it is empty and removing it makes no difference.

Dave B 23 Jan 2022
In reply to mbh:

? Hidden files?

My wife's did the same last week. I'm going to get the computer out to check for these when I feel up to it.. 

Dave B 23 Jan 2022
In reply to Dave B:

Possibly a software update has reverted the fix to the old broken version for deleting old files properly 

Ridge 23 Jan 2022
In reply to mbh:

If all else fails a factory reset might sort it, then download the latest software update?

Post edited at 22:51
OP mbh 24 Jan 2022
In reply to Dave B:

I'll check for those, if I can figure out how, thanks.

OP mbh 24 Jan 2022
In reply to Ridge:

I've done the most far-reaching reset you can do, I think, which is   UP > ''cogwheel'> System > Reset > Delete Data and Reset Settings. According to Garmin Express I have the latest software.

OP mbh 24 Jan 2022
In reply to Dave B:

> ? Hidden files?

That was a very good idea. When I make those visible, I see this:

The whole Garmin drive has a capacity of 20.7 MB ( and mine has 53 KB free, straight after a reset - and so, if that is true, would be filled by a single run, which would generate a 100 Kish .fit file) The Garmin folder is about 3.6 MB. That hidden .Trashes folder has a BIN subfolder containing 170 .fit files, or 17 MB worth. It's everything I have done since last June. There are also 4 TempFit folders in there.

Why that .TRASHES is there and why it is hidden I don't know. But this must be the problem. When I delete all the .fit files, I now have 17 MB free on the watch!

Let's see if that has done the trick.

Thanks all for your help.

Post edited at 05:24

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...