Hillwalking inspiration, supported by you

Hillwalking inspiration, supported by you

Please help UKHillwalking continue to provide varied and free content by becoming an official UKH Supporter. You can show your support and with recieve rewards.

Please help UKHillwalking continue to provide varied and free content by becoming an official UKH Supporter. You can show your support and with recieve rewards.

Loading Notifications...

Garmin Instinct?

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 Roadrunner6 17 May 2020

Has anyone used one?

It seems more for adventures as well as running, is it OK as a running watch as well?

The price seems pretty good here, $200.

Heike 17 May 2020
In reply to Roadrunner6:

Hi,

I got one last year for my big birthday and was well excited, but I am not sure I can recommend it. It is very unreliable, the altimeter is hit and miss and yes, it works ok, when it works, for running and biking etc, but quite often it is totally out with altitude, distance and steps or it just stops recording. It might be ok for just running, but all in all I am not too satisfied. I would have sent it back, but my hubby who gave it to me as a gift had lost the receipt. So, I still use it, but it is very annoying on occasion.  Got another Suunto Core now (a present from hubby again for my next birthday  (he is a good man) and it is a delight, but then it doesn't do the running stuff, etc, it is more a climbing /hillwalking watch.

So, either I was just unlucky or the Instinct isn't that great. Difficult to say.

Roadrunner6 17 May 2020
In reply to Heike: thanks, 

Oof that’s not good at all. It might be worth sending back anyway. The Garmin GPS tends to be pretty reliable.

the price range is what’s attractive. 

im looking at other makes but I’m just used to Garmin And how they interface.

In reply to Roadrunner6:

I've had one for over a year now (I think) and get on with it fine. Seems as good as other Garmin's for distance on runs and rides. I've had fenix 3 and a forerunner in the past. 

As you say, very good value for money at less than half the price of the fenix 6 series if the few features that are missing aren't important to you.

I often run with the guy I passed my forerunner on to, and my instinct does seem to measure 1% longer, (200 m over a half marathon we did together). But it seems pretty consistent at that. Never had any noticeable anomalies in the 100+ activities I've done with it. 

Height gain it is not so good. I do get quite large anomalies against friends with other devices and sometimes against activities repeated on the instinct. But  lot of people's Strava recordings seem to show incorrect height gains, so don't think this is an issue unique to the instinct. 

Roadrunner6 18 May 2020
In reply to mountain.martin:

Thanks, I've ended up going for it.

TBH the big thing was the 40 hour battery on ultratrac, I realize that's not great at recording in terms of accuracy but its handy to have something that will stay on.

It's a lot of watch for what it is. Generally reviews were pretty good. I do like the simplicity of my forerunner 25 but the limited battery life is a pain, they say 10 hours but 7-8 is more typical. 

The elevation is an issue, but my FR or strava cuts me down quite a lot. I just did a vert challenge and had 2600 feet of gain on garmin and 2300 on strava, and it was up an down a trail so pretty easy to calculate what it actually was an strava wasn't recording the full descent each time somehow.

Overall elevation isn't too important for me though. I'd love a Fenix but just can't justify it at almost twice the cost.

In reply to Roadrunner6:

On the more expensive Gps watches you can change the interval of when the watch picks up a signal,and they will also have barometric measurement for height gain.

Roadrunner6 18 May 2020
In reply to DANDREWS:

This has a barometric altimeter. I think its working with strava there's some issue.

My FR25 just has 'smart recording' but you can set other ones at 1s intervals. This also have ultratrac mode which lasts 40 hours (80hrs for the Fenix), but that is much less accurate, it'll show your trail supposedly but straight lines so much speed and distance are way off.

George Ormerod 18 May 2020
In reply to Roadrunner6:

My wife has one and it’s a good watch. What a serious runner like you might want to factor is that the heart rate is unreliable and slow to pick up changes. If you want a good HR measurement you’ll need to factor in getting a Garmin (expensive) or ANT+ chest strap. 

Roadrunner6 18 May 2020
In reply to George Ormerod:

Yeah thanks, I have a chest strap for my FR25 anyway. The chest based one seems to be much more accurate when you are running.

In reply to George Ormerod:

Agreed about HR, one of the reasons I changed from the fenix 3 to the instinct was for the built in wrist based HR, but having realised it gives you a closeish figure but is not that accurate/responsive I have recently bought a chest strap to give more accurate HR data. £50.

I imagine a runner of roadrunner's experience already has a chest strap?

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.