Garmin GPS watches

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 LastBoyScout 14 Feb 2021

Hi,

My wife has entered a 1/2 marathon and wants to upgrade her Forerunner 25 to something a bit more reliable (battery life seems a bit suspect now) and with some more training features.

She's not out to spend a lot, maybe £150-£200, so things like the Fenix are out, but we've seen the Forerunner 45 and 645 models at a good price, but she's a bit worried about the size on her slim wrists.

Any thoughts, or other models we should look at?

Thanks,

girlymonkey 14 Feb 2021
In reply to LastBoyScout:

I don't have much to compare it to, but I use the vivosport HR. 

I share her difficulty with getting them small enough for wee wrists, but this one fits well and I find it works for everything I need.

nathan79 14 Feb 2021

I think the 45 is a decent size, I don't think it is overly large. Are you aware of the 45s? Slightly smaller version of the 45 for smaller wrists

Wainers44 14 Feb 2021

I use the Forerunner 235 and its a great watch. I think you can still get them? Very reliable, long battery life and enough gizmos but not so many that you need to have a PHD to use it.

With a bit of searching and price matching etc I managed to get mine for well under £200.

SouthernSteve 14 Feb 2021

We have the 645 in the house and it is doing well! I have a posher affair, but the extra value is as always diminishing as the price goes up!

girlymonkey 14 Feb 2021
In reply to nathan79:

The 45 is too bulky for my wrists. It really depends on how small the OPs wife is I guess! 

George Ormerod 14 Feb 2021

The Instinct is small and light and I think they’re knocking them out at 200GBP now the Solar Instinct is the latest model. 

SouthernSteve 14 Feb 2021
In reply to SouthernSteve:

That should have been 245 - long day!

ianstevens 14 Feb 2021
In reply to nathan79:

Also effectively an updated 25 so similar use ability and functionality 

nathan79 14 Feb 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

That's why I mentioned the 45S. Same functions just a whole 3mm smaller! Sure that makes all the difference...

girlymonkey 14 Feb 2021
In reply to nathan79:

I bet they made it pink too?? Pink it and (barely) shrink it, that's the winning formula for women's kit! 😜

Dave Todd 14 Feb 2021

I've had a 45S (note the 'S'...looks great on my dainty wrist!) for a few weeks now and it's brilliant|!  Simple, does everything you need from a basic running watch, synchs perfectly with phone etc. etc.  I got mine from Wiggle for £130, but they seem to be £160 everywhere at the mo.  Keep an eye out, prices vary by the day.

OH and daughter both have Garmin 35 and they're very happy with them (mine looks nicer though!) - can be picked up for <£100.

Dave Todd 14 Feb 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

Comes in lots of colours (including rugged and manly black for me...) and the screen is the same size on both the 45 and 45S - just a different size body.

Dave Todd 14 Feb 2021
In reply to ianstevens:

I think the 45 has evolved more from the 35 than the 25 (according to DCRainmaker anyway!)

I picked up a Garmin 45 second hand for half rrp as was'nt being used. For an entry level I think it's a brilliant watch with the same gps chips as the more expensive versions. 

Slight tangent but the second hand Garmin market is a bit weird. There are genuine sellers who clearly have original UK watches with proof of purchase and original box etc. But there are also loads of people selling "new" watches with no box.  I'm suspicious as to where they are all coming from and one theory is they are not uk versions and might be slower to get updates. Other examples are people selling "as new" but they've got several different versions, none of them boxed.  Can anyone shed any light?

ianstevens 15 Feb 2021
In reply to Dave Todd:

Think of the 25 as the grandfather here

Run_Ross_Run 15 Feb 2021

Try the Instinct solar, slightly above the budget and more 'outdoor' focused than running but it's a bulletproof watch for me so far. 

dread-i 15 Feb 2021
In reply to Sandstone Stickman:

>Other examples are people selling "as new" but they've got several different versions, none of them boxed.  Can anyone shed any light?

There is 'Garmin renewed'. You can get them on the net, amazon and ebay. I got a fenix and it was like new. Battery lasts a week between charges, even with a couple of runs. No scratches etc. Amazon have a guarantee of a year, so I felt it was reasonably safe. That came with a basic box and manual. (They also do renewed handheld gps's.)

I'd take a guess, that people may be buying the renewed ones and then selling them as a private seller.

OP LastBoyScout 16 Feb 2021

Thanks for the comments. She's decided to go with the Vivoactive 4S

OP LastBoyScout 17 Feb 2021

...and is now having a mental battle between that and the Forerunner 45S!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...