Garmin Forerunner 45, Recharging Problem, Suggestions Please

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 thelostjockey 27 Nov 2022

Dear Runners,

My very nice and nearly new Garmin watch, bought on eBay, has had a turn for the worse. It is entirely out of charge but when I try to recharge it in the usual way, the screen flickers. Sometimes I get the triangle symbol and then the recharging icon/symbol but the watch does not seem to recharge for use, the screen stays blank and the watch is unusable. 

Please advise. Is it terminal? It looks to be a sealed unit, so I don't think it is possible to change the battery. This is my first running watch and I was thinking it was good. Thank your or your time and advice. 

In reply to thelostjockey:

I have a different model of Garmin but I had problems when the charging socket on the watch needed cleaning. I used isopropyl alcohol because that’s what I had in the garage, but it did the trick. 

Sealwife 27 Nov 2022

I have a reconditioned 45s which occasionally doesn’t want to charge.  So far, I’ve fixed it by cleaning the charging port of the watch.  It gets clogged up with dust and skin oils etc.  I’ve done a very unscientific job by prodding it with a cocktail stick and a tissue.

Isopropyl or contact cleaner is probably a safer bet

Dave Todd 27 Nov 2022

I've had a 45S for a couple of years and love it - so I hope you get yours sorted and get plenty of use out of it.

I echo the 'make sure all the contacts are clean and clear' messages above.  It's a bit of a shock how grubby the charging ports can become.  Also, I presume you're 100% happy that it couldn't be a problem with the power cable?

mondite 27 Nov 2022
In reply to Dave Todd:

> I echo the 'make sure all the contacts are clean and clear' messages above.  It's a bit of a shock how grubby the charging ports can become. 

I brought some "dust plugs" for my fenix which does a good job of keeping the contacts protected.

Dave Todd 27 Nov 2022
In reply to mondite:

That's a good call - I never knew such things existed!

OP thelostjockey 28 Nov 2022
In reply to Dave Todd:

Thank you all. I have ordered some isopropyl alcohol cleaner. Nothing to lose and cheaper than a new watch. Thank you. 

sdw7300 28 Nov 2022

A full shut down and restart cured my failure to charge issue on my Forerunner 235. (I'd already cleaned the contact terminals)

99ster 28 Nov 2022
In reply to Dave Todd:

> That's a good call - I never knew such things existed!

Me neither - thanks for the tip!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...