Garmin Fenix 6 Pro - views?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Stig 05 Jul 2020

I've been a very happy user of a Garmin 235 for about 4 years (brilliant watch). However, in my dotage I am barely running on roads or paying attention to pace and instead have taken to exploring the huge network of footpaths around me. As such I have got sick of constantly stopping to look at my phone when I get lost/trying to stick to the route I had planned/agonisingly running around trying to find an overgrown path because the signposts have completely disappeared (infuriatingly common).

Instead I'd rather map the route beforehand and export the gpx and follow it unerringly as I do on my bike with the Wahoo. Looks like the Fenix will do this in spades, though I don't really need all the other features, and it's a whole lot of wedge (!). 

Anyone have one and would recommend it? or are there cheaper alternatives for following a gpx track?

Edit: thinking about it, is the Apple Watch any good for running navigation? Also, I don't normally listen to music when I'm running, but I guess the AW would be good for this. I know the Fenix plays music but I suspect the Apple would do this better.

Post edited at 22:10
In reply to Stig:

I have a fenix 6 pro and totally recommend. 

there is an iPhone app called garmin explore where you can create routes and upload straight to the watch to follow - used this quite a lot when out biking last few months. 

big bright screen that’s easily readable, long battery life (music controls are dead easy). 

Garethza 05 Jul 2020
In reply to Stig:

Battery life is the reason to get the 6 otherwise the Fenix 5 is basically the same thing but cheaper!

SouthernSteve 06 Jul 2020
In reply to Garethza:

Seems very good here. The battery is so different compared to my old Fenix 3. The mapping is a bit small, but allows you to follow a route if needed. 

petemeads 06 Jul 2020
In reply to Stig:

I bought the Fenix 6 in the New Year sales, still a lot of wedge but a decent saving, basically for the battery life and onboard maps. Loaded up all the peaks for the Joss Naylor challenge but that is now on the back burner...

Didn't imagine I would use it as a smartwatch but it is starting to take over my training, having opinions about 'body battery' status and lack of anerobic exercise for example. It also tracks sleep, of which I don't get enough apparently, and resting heartrate, which is now well below 50 most days.

Massively capable. GPS chip is new (Sony) and there are still software updates occasionally for it, it works no better than previous GPS but has less drain on the battery and is good enough. Takes ages to get a grip on all the features, some of which seem a bit gimmicky, but a very good device for prolonged use in the hills.

In reply to Stig:

I got one about a month ago and love it - so much better than the previous Suunto disaster I owned.

Software is very good - I like the fact it tells you what you’re getting out of each exercise (anaerobic, aerobic etc) and what you should be doing. Also it describes me as superior which is something I have suspected for a long time

Specifically to the questions you asked, if I was on a trail run, I’d use the watch to listen to music to save phone battery and use OS maps on the phone to navigate with a larger screen.

Post edited at 10:15
 Run_Ross_Run 06 Jul 2020
In reply to featuresforfeet:

Thinking about getting one also. What is the map app like on the 6?  Is it OS based or their own system?

Also, what sort of battery life are you getting out of it in different modes?

Thanks 

steelbru 06 Jul 2020
In reply to Stig:

The cheap version is just to use your current Garmin 235 watch and install the dwMap app from the Connect IQ store.

This allows you to create a detailed route on PC, phone etc, then export the route to your watch. You won't get a topo map, but you will get a basic route map and be alerted if you go off route etc.

petemeads 06 Jul 2020
In reply to Run_Ross_Run:

Mine was charged yesterday, currently says 8 days battery left in smartwatch mode, wrist HR is enabled.

When GPS is running, about 34 hours available, not sure how much you can save by turning wrist HR off and using a HR strap instead but this is what I would tend to do.

Pre-loaded maps do not have contours in the UK/Europe but any open source map can be loaded alongside the Garmin versions, TalkyToaster website worth a look.

If you are playing music you only get about 10 hours battery,  I don't use this feature.

In reply to Run_Ross_Run:

I haven't used the map in anger - the Ordinance Survey app on phone is going to be hard to beat, especially on a small screen.

Battery seems pretty good; though I generally run less than 2 hours. Listening to music really depletes it but still have done a decent length run listening to podcasts, just make sure its charged first.

I'm getting about 5 days out of it wearing it 24x7.

PPP 06 Jul 2020
In reply to featuresforfeet:

Maps on phone are definitely more detailed, but having a map on your watch that’s always on is much easier to use, especially in fast moving conditions or when it’s cold. 

In reply to PPP:

> fast moving conditions

Yet to experience that

SebCa 06 Jul 2020
In reply to Stig:

When I upgraded from the Fenix 6 for just the above reasons I found that when you compare the Fenix 6 side by side with the Forerunner 945 you are essentially getting the same watch in a smaller case for a few hundred quid (depending on what model you go for) less!

I was worried a bit about the damage and scratches that may come to the Forerunner, as its not Sapphire its only Gorilla glass. But I would say I have had it for probably about a year now, maybe just under and it doesn't have a scratch on it...anywhere. Im in and out of cars, lugging stuff round. Doing a job that tests it quite well and its never let me down.

It goes on my wrist from getting out of bed and off when I get back in bed. The battery life, I get about a week + depending on how much I use it.

It has all the map side of things you require and as far as navigating with it is concerned, if I have uploaded the GPX to it its rare I will even get my phone out to check viewranger let alone the map and compass in my bag. I took it out on the fells this afternoon with 30% battery left, 2:30 walk and it finished the walk with 27% battery left.

I do like the Fenix, I like the bigger size, but where cost is concerned and for the same features it was a no brainer for me really. 

Theyre currently in wiggle for 449

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/garmin-forerunner-945-multisport-gps-watch/?lang=e...

k_os 14 Jul 2020
In reply to Stig:

Has anyone used a Coros Apex? It only does a breadcrumb gpx trail type thing from the look of things, but is quite a bit cheaper than a Fenix. I'm currently having the same frustrations with having to get my phone out to check maps as I've only got a Forerunner 45 and looking at what my options are. 

Dave B 14 Jul 2020
In reply to SebCa:

The 6 basic is currently under 380 on amazon...

No maps though. And no WiFi 

Alex1 15 Jul 2020
In reply to Stig:

You don't need the 6 pro's maps to do this.  I have a forerunner 245 and you can plot and download courses easily to it.  It shows you a map with the course on it just with no detail - i.e. its just a line for the course, your position and a scale. You can easily see where to turn etc and as the screen is so small having a few contours and the footpath type shown wouldn't add much. The graphical map would only be really important if you didn't have a course plotted.  

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...