FRA approved waterproof running trousers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 robsykes1975 06 Jan 2023

I’m looking for a pair of waterproof trousers that meet FRA kit check requirements - eg taped.  There are plenty of value options out there from the usual suspects (Mountain Warehouse, Decathlon etc) that seem to meet the requirements but I’m wondering if these options are a bit of a false economy – possibly bulky, heavy, no lower leg zips and offering limited protection in the event that I actually need them.  Moving upwards in terms of price, I’ve seen Montane Podium Pants on sale for sub £50 and they look like a good mid-market option.  I did a forum search on this but I can’t see this topic covered recently.  If anyone has any advice/suggestions I’d be grateful.

DaveHK 06 Jan 2023
In reply to robsykes1975:

The Mountain Warehouse Pakka ones are excellent, definitely not false economy. They're light, pack down small, have taped seams and are as waterproof as trousers many times the price. For something to pass a kit check and sit in a bag most of the time they are ideal.

compost 06 Jan 2023

I got some used gore tex paclite trousers from eBay for about £20 a few years ago. I had to tape up a crampon hole but otherwise they've lived in my running kit ever since, been used on 3 or 4 very wild runs and done a fine job. 

Ridge 06 Jan 2023

I have the decathlon kalenji as my FRA kit. Very light, calf length zips, pack fairly small into their back pocket, taped seams and elasticated around the knees so they don't flap about in a gale. For a running waterproof I think they're extremely good value.

Post edited at 15:08
 compost 06 Jan 2023
In reply to Ridge:

^ I have their jacket. For the price, it's staggeringly good.

TobyA 06 Jan 2023
In reply to Ridge:

> I have the decathlon kalenji as my FRA kit. 

I think my superlight ones are the same model by the sounds of it BUT i'm just a total rebel as I bought them for emergency wear bikepacking despite them clearly saying "not suitable for cycling". But I'm just rock and roll like that. :-⁠)

OP robsykes1975 06 Jan 2023

Thanks all for your replies - have taken DaveHK's advice and purchased some MW Pakka trousers.

Garethza 06 Jan 2023

Cheap ones seem to be very good and have taped seams as well. I have a pair of hand me down waterproof trousers that were some weird brand probably purchased on a high street somewhere and they do just fine ! No need to spend $$ on them.. Jackets are a different story however! 

raussmf 06 Jan 2023

For anyone that's interested decathlon currently have £9.99 woman's taped seams trousers. Much better than the £40 male ones I initially picked up!

elliot.baker 06 Jan 2023

£50 for the podium pants sounds really good, I paid £70 last year. I thought they were not mid but near top of the range in terms of super lightweight option.

However... I can't recommend them because on my first outing in them (Welsh 3000s), I made the mistake of sitting on a rock and they tore a hole in the bum, which Montane said was accidental damage (fair play I suppose). So I wouldn't buy anything that light-weight again in a hurry, at least not if I plan on sitting down at all on an ultramarathon. 🤦‍♂️

Ridge 06 Jan 2023
In reply to raussmf:

> For anyone that's interested decathlon currently have £9.99 woman's taped seams trousers. Much better than the £40 male ones I initially picked up!

Childrens sizes are also popular for keeping weight and bulk to the minimum whilst having something to present at kit check (allegedly).

greg_may_ 06 Jan 2023
In reply to Ridge:

Except that if you're like me, at kit check, I'll make you put them on.  I've required runners to get another pair or not run in the past when the kit they've presented does not pass.

Don't try this - it's literally against one of the most basic rules the FRA have. Anyway, if you're kit checked post race "you will face disqualification and potentially a ban from future races". Direct quote, from the rules.

The kit rules are for safety. Not to find holes in. 

Post edited at 18:32
 SouthernSteve 06 Jan 2023

There was recently this thread, not so much about the rules as the practicalities,

Ridge 07 Jan 2023
In reply to greg_may_:

> Except that if you're like me, at kit check, I'll make you put them on.  I've required runners to get another pair or not run in the past when the kit they've presented does not pass.

> Don't try this - it's literally against one of the most basic rules the FRA have. Anyway, if you're kit checked post race "you will face disqualification and potentially a ban from future races". Direct quote, from the rules.

> The kit rules are for safety. Not to find holes in. 

Agree completely, but it does go on.

SouthernSteve 07 Jan 2023
In reply to SouthernSteve: try again

> There was recently this thread, not so much about the rules as the practicalities,

https://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/running/winter_running_gear_advice-754687

Nic Barber 09 Jan 2023

I'd say putting a pair of age 10 waterproof bottoms then dying because you can't use them when you need them is the ultimate false economy..

I have generic Decathlon Quechua waterproofs if the weather is moderate I think I'm going to need them. Sure I could get some cheap lighter less rustly ones but mine are still functional so no need.

Super lightweight Inov8 see-through jobbies (bought on a voucher) if it's summer, mild and dry. Only problem with these is if using them at overnight on the Saunders, and you run commando (as do I), you can't take your shorts of to dry them and get away with just wearing your overtrousers. Well, I suppose you could but you might be banned for a different reason...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...