Footwear for running Welsh 3000s

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jim Houghton 25 May 2021

Hi all, I've got quite into running recently and thought I might have a crack at the Welsh 3000s next week. I've walked it a couple of times and think I'm probably fit enough to run it quite slowly...wondering about footwear though. I run in Nike Zoom trainers...but have some old Scarpa approach shoes which are much more solid but a lot heavier. Which would you go for? I'm reluctant to buy another set of shoes...but if needs must!

Thanks in advance!

DaveHK 25 May 2021
In reply to Jim Houghton:

The running shoes would probably be the best of 2 poor options

Post edited at 15:14
 Wainers44 25 May 2021

Last time I did it, flippers would have been most suitable....!

r0b 25 May 2021

Sorry but I wouldn't want to run it in either of those two options!

OP Jim Houghton 25 May 2021

Ok, thanks - I'm getting the message - so worth trying to get hold of some decent fell running shoes?

Roadrunner6 25 May 2021

I ran it in road shoes. Pretty ideal if it's dry I find. I used to race all over the alps in road running shoes. if it's not dry you'll be on your arse constantly in them..

TMM 25 May 2021
In reply to Roadrunner6:

> I ran it in road shoes. Pretty ideal if it's dry I find. I used to race all over the alps in road running shoes. if it's not dry you'll be on your arse constantly in them..

I'll second that. Given the compacted nature of the paths on the route a well cushioned road shoe would ideal in the dry. When we had a very dry spring last year I used a pair of Saucony Triumph road shoes for a lot of my off road runs and they were fantastic. Not the lightest or raciest road shoe but very forgiving and got 1400km out of them which is exceptional in a year when I did 3200km.

Bezz 26 May 2021

Did it a few years back in lightweight boots and remember thinking it would have been a lot better to do in a trail running shoe . Not sure your Nike Zoom would be suitable, I have La Sportiva Bushido & Akasha and would choose one of these for the Welsh 3k (probably the Akasha as it's more cushioned).  If you do buy any La Sportiva be careful with sizing as the Bushido come up small, goes without saying but would be risky to take brand new shoes out on that route! Sounds great though - good luck! 

mountainbagger 26 May 2021
In reply to Roadrunner6:

> I ran it in road shoes. Pretty ideal if it's dry I find. I used to race all over the alps in road running shoes. if it's not dry you'll be on your arse constantly in them..

Agreed. If it's dry I often use old road shoes, like my Brooks Ghost or Adrenaline off-road...some road shoes have fairly resilient/hard-wearing treads. But...the other day I came across a surprisingly muddy section downhill, narrow, between two barded wire fences. I was cursing as I narrowly avoided impalement!

Dark-Cloud 26 May 2021
In reply to Bezz:

How do you find the Bushido ?

I'm in Mutants and Akasha and the sizing is seems massively different across the range, I have had to go up up 1.5 sizes from street to get the Akashas right

Bezz 26 May 2021
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Love the Bushido, my favourite trainer by far but they are tight across the toe box which I think helps on sketchy ground. Akasha much more forgiving and wider across the toes. I'm a 44 in most footwear but have "skinny" feet, quite flat and without much volume! If you're in the market for Bushido and had to go up 1.5 sizes on Akasha I'd go 2 sizes minimum on Bushido 

Simon Pelly 26 May 2021

Hi There,

I ran the Welsh 3000s around 5 years or so ago wearing La Sportiva Bushidos. They worked absolutely fantastic. Glad of the snug fit particular on trickier ground such as Grib Coch and the decent from the Glyders to Tryfan.

Looking back the key tactic to a successful run was having flexibility (and luxury) to run when the weather was dry and a great forecast.

Simon...

Post edited at 15:47
 rsc 26 May 2021
In reply to Bezz:

> I'm a 44 in most footwear but have "skinny" feet, quite flat and without much volume! If you're in the market for Bushido and had to go up 1.5 sizes on Akasha I'd go 2 sizes minimum on Bushido 

I love Bushidos too, on my second pair, and have similar feet but size 42. Bushidos in 42 fit me perfectly...

Moral: try before you buy!

Marek 26 May 2021
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

I have - and like - Bushidos, but just one EUR size up from my 'normal' size. I would say however that they are very much in the lots-of-padding-in-the-heel-but-not-so-much-under-the-forefoot camp. If that's what you like, then they're a good option.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...