Flat footed runners

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tingle 04 Jan 2022

Do you wear your insoles when you’re out running or does that make it worse? Any other tips to keep pain free?

rsc 04 Jan 2022
In reply to tingle:

Disclaimer- don’t take medical advice from a stranger on the internet, but you know that 🙂

Highish mileage on road in my 30s led to knee surgery. One of the things that helped me get running again was insoles, at first bespoke but then I found Superfeet worked well for me. Since then, no significant knee problems. 

I now prefer Sole insoles for running, but still use Superfeet ( various models) for walking.

So yes- all feet are different, but I’d say it’s worth trying.

nathan79 04 Jan 2022
In reply to tingle:

Yes. Either wear insoles (Active Orthotics are my brand of choice) or overpronator specific shoes.

Previously got a lot of bother with IT band issues prior to doing so.

OP tingle 04 Jan 2022
In reply to rsc:

The type I use more often are the gel style arch inserts that have a much more pronounced feel hence why I’m worried about building up any mileage with them in case they are too extreme. I do have superfeet though so I may rotate them to my running shoes instead of the gels! Have you had any physio to improve the strength of your arch? Because I have and feel like there has been no improvement.

rsc 04 Jan 2022
In reply to tingle:

They do take a bit of getting used to. You’re right not to overdo it early one.

I didn’t have specific physio for my arches. I think using the insoles over time makes you more aware of good form for your feet, so even padding barefoot round the house I’m usually kind of conscious of my feet. (That sounds weird, but you know what I mean.)

David Cowley 04 Jan 2022
In reply to tingle:

I overpronate really bad and have to wear insoles in all foot wear and gave covered thousands of miles in the 18 years I've worn them. Went to another podiatrist who confirmed this but gave some extra tips. One being if you constantly wear them you have to do arch support exercises regularly and other stability exercises because these muscles become weaker with insoles. No one had ever told me this. Point being go and get your biometrics assessed by a professional to ensure you have the right gate for your feet and you should have no problems. As rsc says don't take advice on here by going for insoles people recommend. They might not be enough or be too much

girlymonkey 04 Jan 2022
In reply to tingle:

Have you always had flat feet? If so, you might find it injures you if you try to create an arch. 

I have been flat footed all my life. People have tried to give me superfeet and other insoles over the years and they always cause problems. My feet, ankles and knees have grown with no arch, I end up straining ligaments etc if I try to put one in. I just wear flat shoes and go with what my body actually does naturally. 

Obviously, if you have grown up with arches in your feet and they have dropped, maybe you will need to try to correct them.

OP tingle 09 Jan 2022
In reply to David Cowley:

This was my exact fear, becoming reliant on support instead of potentially fixing the issue. 

OP tingle 09 Jan 2022
In reply to girlymonkey:

I would assume they have fallen with the way problems have suddenly all hit me at once. Physio said the same, unsure whether he could say that for certain though. They hurt to begin with, even superfeet were uncomfortable but now I don’t notice any of them. And I have not had any more trouble than usual running with them on either (short distance only since this started though) 

OP tingle 09 Jan 2022
In reply to rsc:

I know exactly what you mean, it was hurting walking on hard floors so I bought arch support slippers ha! 

rsc 09 Jan 2022
In reply to tingle:

There’s nothing funny about arch support slippers. 😟😀

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...