Finished Couch-to-5k - Next Steps

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MonkeyPuzzle 26 Jan 2021

Lockdown has done something which many previous half-arsed resolutions had failed to do and has made me a runner.

Did my Couch-to-5k like every other slightly squidgy person in tights out on the local paths and I'm actually enjoying my runs but want to make sure I don't get bored and this unexpected enthusiasm fade.

My ambition is to simply just be able to get out the front door with my tunes on and explore without worrying about blowing out too far from home and a stitchy painful walk back. Assume chucking in hills will help, but should I be looking to add speed work/intervals in there for the added fitness benefits?

Any other suggestions?

In reply to MonkeyPuzzle:

If you're happy with the distance and want to improve a little re: pace, then something off the peg like a Runners World 5km training plan would probably do. (A quick Google will throw something up). 

Like most things fitness, gains are quite easy to come by (relatively speaking that is) in the beginning. 

Reach>Talent 26 Jan 2021

I did 5k to couch shortly afterwards, not sure I would recommend it. 

SouthernSteve 26 Jan 2021
In reply to Stuart (aka brt):

> ... something off the peg like a Runners World 5km training plan...

This is a good idea - remember the rule: speed or distance increases, not both together!  Also when I started running I started to get the odd niggle/minor injury when I started running a bit more distance - about 7 miles so getting into some weekly strength and conditioning may help. 

The main thing is to enjoy it, so some different routes and some challenges on Strava may be helpful.

Post edited at 14:38
 jezzah 26 Jan 2021

Great, you've now run a 5K so work out what gives you more pleasure- running the same distance faster or running for longer distances...

For me it is about running distance (I ran 100Km just before Christmas) and I now use my 5K ParkRuns as the speed session each week having been a 5Km Parkrunner earlier in 2020. However, I still need to set goals to give me focus and make it more interesting. If events are your thing then have a look at the GBUltras website for ideas- there are loads of virtual races where you clock your run and enter a particular event. Great fun for keeping motivated.

Good luck

OP MonkeyPuzzle 26 Jan 2021
In reply to SouthernSteve and Stuart(aka brt):

Thanks both.

Think I'd want to improve distance at first, as there's a bunch of linked parks and paths (Frome Valley Way, River Avon and others) just a couple of K from my doorstep and so I'd like to take them in on regular runs starting from home.

Strength and conditioning in general are on the cards as I've watched my muscles (such as they were) slowly deflate over the last year of no gym and no climbing.

Should I start pushing distance straightaway, or is it best to get established at 5k for a little bit first (I'm thinking like climbing grades so could be completely different)?

girlymonkey 26 Jan 2021

For me running is a fun way to explore the world. I have a rough distance target per week, but not too strict on it. Mostly I like to go to nice places, usually a viewpoint, and I really like sunrises and sunsets so often aim for one of those. I take my phone so I can get nice photos 😊. 

Think about what you enjoy about your runs and do more of whatever that is! If you can find a friend who likes to run similar stuff to you, it's even better.

girlymonkey 26 Jan 2021

Also, there's nothing wrong with mixing some running and walking if the place you want to go is further than you want to run! 

dread-i 26 Jan 2021

>Should I start pushing distance straightaway, or is it best to get established at 5k for a little bit first (I'm thinking like climbing grades so could be completely different)?

I think only you can answer that, depending on how you feel afterwards. It could be that you ache like you've been fighting a dozen ninjas, or it could be you feel refreshed and ready to go some more.

It might be better to focus on locations, rather than distance. You mention linked parks, so set one of them as your target. Once you can get there and back, try and explore it a bit. Then add the next one. I find it more interesting to check out interesting things on the map, rather than to think, 'right I need to get in +20k.'

Remember, if you're new to this running lark, there's a wonderful world of injuries to explore as well. Go by how you feel. Just because you did 5k yesterday, it doesn't mean you have to do 6k today. Some cross training is always a good idea.

irish paul 26 Jan 2021

Slightly related,  I did couch to 5k a few years back - then had knee trouble for donkeys.  I think climbing gets you in the habit of needing to feel like you are pushing yourself (well,  does for me!) and personally this does not translate well to running. I picked up a second hand Garmin and HR sensor - setting heart rate zone  helped my running. 1. Made me back off pace but 2. Really helped me add mileage without overdoing it. Just my 2p, running really had been a mentalsaver over lockdown.

Euan Todd 26 Jan 2021

A lot of really good advice above!

Would especially echo the point above about speed or distance - if you want to go further, I probably wouldn't bother with intervals for now (that might just be me, I'm generally too lazy to try and get fast).

To increase distance, gradually is the key (circa ~10% a week, with a rest week of 60% of the previous week every 4 or 5).  Listen to your body, if it's really hurting (and worse the next day is a warning sign) ease off a little.  Stretching helps!  Crosstraining is excellent for injury prevention, obviously less opportunity to do that right now!

Personally, I find varying terrain helps keep niggles at bay.  If I'm doing lots of road, I'll try and get in some trail/grass/mud/hill.  Bristol is quite good for this, happy to provide suggestions if you would like!

Forest Dump 26 Jan 2021

I've just started this (week 4) after losing loads of fitness last year. Following with interest, hoping to go from couch to double 'ard trail runner this year 

Sl@te Head 26 Jan 2021

I'm doing canicross at the moment which is a great way of running for me, I'd probably not be motivated to run if it wasn't for the dog...

kwoods 26 Jan 2021
In reply to Euan Todd:

I think it depends what you're used to - I had the opposite experience. Years of walking in the hills meant I could push myself really hard in that environment, have no problems and get a lot out of it. When I got into climbing it took some years before my upper body could take that kind of pounding - the time in between, I just had to understand it needed to be built toward.

kwoods 26 Jan 2021
In reply to kwoods:

And to add, I guess the main point I'm thinking toward would be that although it takes time for strength to come through, it eventually does.

girlymonkey 26 Jan 2021
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Yes, it was canicross that got me into running. The dog's excitement is infectious! 😀

Pbob 26 Jan 2021

I tried the 'after c5k' podcasts but didn't really enjoy. Then I found a web page which tells you the BPM for different music tracks. I set up play lists on my Walkman for different BPM (= different speeds) and challenged myself to alternately get faster and run further. I enjoyed that because the music was my choice. I also tried mixing audiobooks with 160 BPM back beats. All going well until I picked up a frozen shoulder in March. Just recovered in the last few weeks. So all semblance of fitness gone and might have to got back to c5k programme. 

OP MonkeyPuzzle 26 Jan 2021
In reply to the thread:

This is all great stuff and great motivation. Thanks everyone.

I've already chopped my pace right back as yep I want to get out and go for as long as possible for the time being (cabin fever?), so the suggestions re building up distance but not *aiming* for a set distance sound good.

Things that are different this time compared to all the failed times before: lockdown (of course); FitBit with 15hrs of MP3s on it and some great wireless headphones; and TIGHTS! My god I love my tights. Truly the difference between wanting to go out in the cold and not so many times.

Nic Barber 27 Jan 2021

Good stuff. Remember to smile and enjoy the process - a very important thing people can forget is it's meant to be enjoyable! Oh and listen to your body, of course. Any muscle/joint pain don't just blindly power through, unless you've actually hit it on something some simple stretching/S&C should work it out a bit.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...