Fell/trail running gaiters suggestions pls

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Potato 09 Mar 2019

I'm still using a pair of inov-8 debris gaiters but they're getting a bit tatty now, mostly from heather and gorse.

Should I get similar or is there anything else worth considering?

Ta muchly 

In reply to The Potato:

Having gone through two pairs of the inov-8 debris gaiters I now use Raidlight ones and they are much, much better

I don't miss the under shoe attachment - despite running through low heather, deep snow, grassy tussocks etc they have never slipped

https://www.raidlight.com/uk/raidlight-hyper-trail-gaiters-boots-footwear-b...

on sale at the moment too!

Tricadam 10 Mar 2019
In reply to get to the punchline:

Out of interest, what advantage do you find with the gaiters? Are these for use with waterproof running shoes? (None of mine are.) 

Dark-Cloud 10 Mar 2019
In reply to Tricadam:

They stop debris getting in the shoe, which in a race or long event can cause issues and lose time stopping to clear them etc

invaluable in Scottish mountain marathons whilst battling with heather !

Post edited at 15:33
 PaulJepson 10 Mar 2019
In reply to The Potato:

Dirty Girl Gaiters are very good.

digby 10 Mar 2019
In reply to Tricadam:

> Out of interest, what advantage do you find with the gaiters? Are these for use with waterproof running shoes? (None of mine are.) 

Keeps irritating bits of heather or scree out; very good in snow - stops snow packing in down your shoes; can stop water going in for a step or two through a stream - if you go fast enough! And no, not waterproof shoes. 

I've had debris gaiters and been unable to find replacement rubber bands but they seem to work just as well without them. Ex postie rubber bands work for a while. 
They are really annoying to put on and take off though. Wouldn't mind trying those other ones that have been mentioned. 

Simon Caldwell 11 Mar 2019
In reply to digby:

They also reduce the likelihood of the laces coming undone, probably because they prevent the laces being caught by bits of vegetation.

Roadrunner6 14 Mar 2019
In reply to The Potato:

icebugs do some. I like them for snow running.

Tricadam 16 Mar 2019
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

Good tips guys. I've got Arcteryx shoes that kinda have a sock-like thing built into them which reliably stops the ingress of heather and snow, which is probably the reason I've not felt the need for gaiters. Norvan VT. 

In reply to Tricadam:

Most of my shoes are not waterproof. I find the gaiters keep out debris (sand, grit, bits of scratchy heather etc) and also stop puddle splashes from getting in.

Also handy in long wet grass for keeping dry feet.

With my waterproof shoes the gaiters just limit the amount of water that gets into them through deep water / snow getting down beside the socks

daWalt 25 Mar 2019
In reply to The Potato:

raidlight also do gaiters with a below-the-sole loop. I have a couple of pairs of these, the loop never bothers me because it sits in the raised arch of the sole. the only thing I didn't like was they have little foam ankle bone protectors. (makes your ankles fat) I manages to remove the foam by cutting out a wee hole on the inside side. the other minor grumble is that they have a kinda big toggle for the bungee cord, it sometimes doesn't sit right and digs in to the top of your shoe (usually it's it sits ok and donesn't need adjustment every 5 min.

personally I was lookign at the montane ones:

https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/equipment-c3/footwear-c78/gaiters-c...

but I need to use-up the ones I'v got first (they're quite robust)................

another benefit of gaiters is they keep your ankles warm; or warmer I should say.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...