Favourite running food recipe

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Herdwickmatt 11 Aug 2020

So I don’t really enjoy the majority of sold energy bars/cereal bars (nature valley cocoa butter being an exception)

Anybody recommend a good homemade snack recipe that they use?

Dark-Cloud 11 Aug 2020
In reply to Herdwickmatt:

I can't do anything sweet so I have mainly been enjoying mini Samosas and houmous and black olive wraps.

compost 11 Aug 2020

Generally nothing up to 90mins. Longer than that, it depends on the type of run - if a race, likely gels or bars. If it's more of a relaxed affair, I take tinfoil-wrapped toasted bagels with nutella and peanut butter, malt loaf (classic!) or if it's long and I'm likely to get sick of sweet stuff, buttered boiled new potatoes with salt.

I tried the homemade date and cashew balls - they were good but a bit faffy.

db99 11 Aug 2020

Datey flapjacks are always a favourite of mine

https://rockrun.com/blogs/how-to-guides/oaty-date-slice-recipe

OP Herdwickmatt 11 Aug 2020
In reply to db99:

It’s a shame dates are rank. Might substitute for apricots! 

GDes 11 Aug 2020

Peanut butter and honey sandwiches on good wholemeal bread. You can love for ages on that. 

In reply to GDes:

> Peanut butter and honey sandwiches on good wholemeal bread. You can love for ages on that. 

You seem to have made a typo. What you meant to say of course, was peanut butter and Marmite. You can all thank me later! 😉 

yorkshireman 11 Aug 2020

> It’s a shame dates are rank. 

I thought that - the tried Medjools - changed my mind. Shame they're pricey.

Basemetal 11 Aug 2020
In reply to Stuart (aka brt):

Have you met High roast PB yet? The crystal meth of PBs....

e.g. WHole Earth Dark Roast.

Post edited at 17:23
 GDes 11 Aug 2020

I didn't quite dare share this secret, but pb honey AND marmite. Try it. 

OP Herdwickmatt 11 Aug 2020
In reply to GDes:

Yes to pb/marmite. I get frowns from colleagues about that. PB/chilli sauce is also a favourite. And pb/bacon sandwich is divine but definitely not running food.

In reply to Basemetal:

> Have you met High roast PB yet? The crystal meth of PBs....

> e.g. WHole Earth Dark Roast.

Thanks for the heads up. Will check it out. 

In reply to GDes:

> I didn't quite dare share this secret, but pb honey AND marmite. Try it. 

There's an Eddie Izzard joke about Judy Finnigan - sex - and ugly that springs to mind. Think I might pass on the whole trilogy bit, but good on you for outing yourself! 😂 

> Yes to pb/marmite. I get frowns from colleagues about that. PB/chilli sauce is also a favourite. And pb/bacon sandwich is divine but definitely not running food.

Good shout on that. Never thought about that. PB & Hendo's/Worcestershire sauce might be worth a punt too. 

Away from PB for a minute, if you've not come across Feed Zone Portables by Thomas & Lim it's well worth a read. You can either indulge yourself in the science or just the recipes. 

alexm198 12 Aug 2020

Agree with this — their rice cake recipes are great. 

Pullhard 12 Aug 2020
In reply to yorkshireman:

They are amazing, but only get them as long as there aren’t from Israel (Gets coat, runs and doesn’t look back)

OP Herdwickmatt 12 Aug 2020
In reply to Pullhard:

Are the other options from one of the nice liberal open democracies with perfect humans rights Records of the Middle East? (Gets coat and runs in the other direction)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...