Dragon's Back: Well, they're off...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Myfyr Tomos 05 Sep 2022

First runners are over Tal y Fan and down to Bwlch y Ddeufaen.  https://live.opentracking.co.uk/dragonsbackrace2022/

Post edited at 07:29
In reply to Myfyr Tomos:

Bring on six days of highly distracted work whilst I dot watch...

Nic Barber 05 Sep 2022
In reply to Myfyr Tomos:

If it's not 30°C for the first few days it's not the real deal

Forest Dump 05 Sep 2022
In reply to Nic Barber:

Thunder, lightening, rain, hail and maybe even the odd tornado instead 

OP Myfyr Tomos 05 Sep 2022
In reply to Forest Dump:

This could well be the case. Torrential rain in Trawsfynydd at the moment, and the Rhinogydd have a very ominous colour about them...

mountainbagger 05 Sep 2022
In reply to Myfyr Tomos:

https://www.sportident.co.uk/results/Ourea/2022/DragonsBackRace/

For anyone, who's interested or hasn't spotted it yet, the daily and overall results are available on the above link as the race progresses. I don't think the live tracker gives you this info (position, time) unless I'm looking in the wrong place.

glenn0010 06 Sep 2022
In reply to mountainbagger:

Cheers for this!

OP Myfyr Tomos 06 Sep 2022
In reply to Myfyr Tomos:

After some very heavy thundery showers late yesterday, this morning was bright and breezy on the tops. It all changed mid-afternoon with heavy rain for about two hours on the Rhinogydd. It then eased off, but raining heavily again now. Challenging.

This is pre-monsoon, just.

Nic Barber 06 Sep 2022
In reply to Myfyr Tomos:

Myfyr making an appearance on the day 2 video. Will you be up on Cader tomorrow, as last year?

OP Myfyr Tomos 06 Sep 2022
In reply to Nic Barber:

We shall see. Probably...😁

BusyLizzie 08 Sep 2022
In reply to Myfyr Tomos:

Here's a screen-shot of the ukc Strava runnig club today, with all our efforts dwarfed by the DragonsBacker!

In reply to Myfyr Tomos:

I've just received the following from the Dragon's Back organisers. Not entirely sure what to make of it, other than confusion. I'll save any speculation regarding what's going on until further details are announced, as the press release is pretty vague. All fingers crossed the race can take place as planned...

In light of the passing of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, we are making changes to the closing stages of the race. Our team is finalising contingency arrangements to wrap up the event and we will share details publicly once they have been confirmed.

Our highest priority is taking care of our participants and event team. Ensuring their safety and wellbeing is informing every decision that we make.

If family or friends have concerns or queries, please send an email to hello@dragonsbackrace.com.

Results will be uploaded to www.dragonsbackrace.com once finalised. However, other than wrap up arrangements, we will not post any more updates online or on our social media channels, and will not be able to respond to comments or messages through those platforms.

We send our deepest condolences to His Majesty The King and the Royal Family.

Andy_B39 08 Sep 2022
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

Saw that same post on the Facebook page. 

Cue a lot of speculation in the comments as the statements rather vague, most likely suggestion to me is that they might not be able to use the castle in Cardiff as the finish. If thats the case, I imagine the event team are tearing their hair out trying to work out contingency plans and find somewhere else to send the race. 

I know Shane and Ourea have a good reputation for having contingency plans in place but I doubt this would have been on anyone's radar.

I can't imagine what all the runners will be thinking at the mo.

In reply to Andy_B39:

I'd assumed exactly the same.

If anyone can find a solution, it's Shane, so all fingers crossed that he can.

Must be mind-bogglingly stressful for all involved, organisers and athletes alike.

Andy_B39 08 Sep 2022

An updates has just been posted on their Facebook page. Looks like it must have been an issue with the castle, so the race will finish in the park by the castle instead.

In reply to Andy_B39:

I hope Shane’s resting heart rate can now return to normal - along with the rest of the competitors!

OP Myfyr Tomos 08 Sep 2022
In reply to Andy_B39:

Phew! 

Tom Briggs 09 Sep 2022

I really hope Shane didn’t read the comments posted by people last night on social media. Pretty shocking in my view and not a good look for the ultra ‘scene’. I would expect people to be a bit more understanding and supportive of Race organisers. Sure, in hindsight the initial press release might not have been very well worded (specifically the phrase “wrap up”) and I realise people are massively invested in this race, but maybe just think before posting? 

ExiledScot 09 Sep 2022
In reply to Tom Briggs:

Yeah, there's plenty options at the end of trail, bute Park, coopers field, sophias gardens, the cricket ground etc.. it's just the admin challenge of finding the right member of the local council to obtain permission, all whilst the local council staff have their heads on fire over what else they must now do or can't do over the next week or two. 

In reply to Tom Briggs:

Like you, I don't think that the press release helped, but the reaction was ridiculous. I think people forget that Shane is someone that really, really cares and given the amount of time he's invested into this event - and the weight of responsibility that he undoubtedly feels towards both competitors, staff and volunteers - mean that he is more motivated than anyone to make it work. I really can't fathom how stressful it must have been, but as per my previous post - if anyone could make it work, it's him (and that's exactly what he did).

Bring on the next two days of dot-watching...

p.s. anyone placing bets on whether Simon Roberts can take back the lead from Chris Cope??

Nic Barber 09 Sep 2022

In the race, after 3 wins by Chris Cope, on day 4 Simon Roberts (2021 winner) took 30 mins out of him and is now 63 minutes behind overall. Be interesting to see how it plays out today and tomorrow - I can say from experience that D4 I felt pretty good but lost time, then D5 and D6 quickly turned into death marches.

Chris has been running topless and apparently has rubbing on his body from his pack. 

samuel_w 09 Sep 2022

It’s great to see Chris doing so well! I can’t say I know him well enough to call him anything but an acquaintance, but he’s certainly a really nice guy & a fine athlete. Whenever I’ve chatted to him, he’s always come across as humble & hard-working. Interestingly, as far as I’ve ever known (& I’m sure he’d correct me if I’m wrong), he’s from a background of triathlon & distance running on the road. It speaks to the efforts he must’ve put in to prepare for this & the adaptability between disciplines, that he is doing this well. 

Tom Briggs 09 Sep 2022
In reply to samuel_w:

And doesn't he live in Lincolnshire?!

I can't see him holding off Simon tbh.

In reply to Tom Briggs:

> I can't see him holding off Simon tbh.

Chris had such a solid start, but that solidity is hard to maintain for six days. Whilst I don't want to speak too soon, my feeling - judging from his performance on day 4 - is that the strong start might have taken its toll.

Simon, on the other hand, looks like he's benefitting from having held back. As the end of day 3 he was 65 minutes down, which sounds like a lot, but in a race like this is nothing. He managed to half that gap yesterday and I'd predict he'll do something similar today.

That said, something completely different might unfold, but that's part of the fun of guessing isn't it?! I'd be more than happy to be proved wrong...

samuel_w 09 Sep 2022
In reply to Tom Briggs:

I believe Chris used to live in Lincs & now lives in the relative flatlands of East Notts, unless he’s moved that is! 

He’s one of those runners who is very capable across the disciplines & distances. From memory, I’m sure he’s a GP & also a type 1 diabetic - something that I’m sure is another factor that he’ll be having to manage for the duration of the race. I think he’s raising money for Diabeties UK & Guide Dogs UK (I’m sure a search of the internet would throw up more details than me!) As I said, I can’t say he’s more than a passing acquaintance but he’s always struck me a very decent person. 

Post edited at 10:51
 samuel_w 09 Sep 2022

I think Chris has gone sub-9hrs for Ironman. I know next to nothing about tri, but I believe that’s very good! I hope that endurance serves him well here. 

Post edited at 11:17
 bowls 09 Sep 2022

Does anyone know what time Simon and Chris set off today?  Simon is well ahead of Chris on the dots, but I am not sure how this equates to start times..  Simon is on home turf on this leg through the Beacons

OP Myfyr Tomos 09 Sep 2022
In reply to Nic Barber:

I agree Nic. Today is a huge, long, long day, and underestimate tomorrow at your peril.

In reply to Nic Barber:

I agree with you Nic. Today is dead hard, and underestimate the last day at your peril.

Nic Barber 09 Sep 2022
In reply to bowls:

I don't know when they set off, but about 10am I had a look and they were in a similar position on the (long - god damn it's long!) road to Usk reservoir.

Given that, as we speak, Simon is at Storey arms whilst Chris is nearing the summit of Fan Nedd, he looks to have pulled out an hour or so since this morning.

That traverse across the Fans, when you've lost all your energy, is an absolute nightmare. I speak from experience...

timjones 09 Sep 2022
In reply to Nic Barber:

> I don't know when they set off, but about 10am I had a look and they were in a similar position on the (long - god damn it's long!) road to Usk reservoir.

> Given that, as we speak, Simon is at Storey arms whilst Chris is nearing the summit of Fan Nedd, he looks to have pulled out an hour or so since this morning.

> That traverse across the Fans, when you've lost all your energy, is an absolute nightmare. I speak from experience...

It looks like Chris set off slightly ahead of Simon this morning.

Tom Briggs 09 Sep 2022
In reply to timjones:

Simon looks to be about 10k/785m ahead of him. Must be around 1.5 hours?

In reply to Tom Briggs:

> Simon looks to be about 10k/785m ahead of him. Must be around 1.5 hours?

Just had word from Mark Glaister, who's currently at the gap next to Fan y Big - Simon Roberts is out with a blown calf/achilles*. Absolutely gutted for him...

On a brighter note, Mark's wife - Bridget - is currently in 2nd place within the women's race and looks to be having another storming day.

*update: it's tendonitis in his shins apparently - not calf/achilles 

Nooo, that's a bummer. 

Bridget is having a cracking race but Lisa Watson has built up quite a lead. Exciting!

mountainbagger 10 Sep 2022
In reply to Myfyr Tomos:

Closing in on the finish now!

OP Myfyr Tomos 10 Sep 2022
In reply to mountainbagger:

Yes, they're all south of the M4 now. 😛 What an eventful few days, and what an amazing run by Lisa Watson - 4th overall if I'm reading it right. As the UKC News article says, the girls were always smiling, as Bridget was, on Rhinog Fawr on day 2.

Post edited at 19:52

mountainbagger 10 Sep 2022
In reply to Myfyr Tomos:

> Yes, they're all south of the M4 now. 😛 What an eventful few days, and what an amazing run by Lisa Watson - 4th overall if I'm reading it right. As the UKC News article says, the girls were always smiling, as Bridget was, on Rhinog Fawr on day 2.

It's amazing to think those finishing now have run for nearly twice as long as the winner in terms of hours on the hills. c90 hours over the 6 days vs c50 hours. Very long days back to back. Not to take anything away from the frontrunners but it's so impressive as it doesn't leave much time each day for recovery, refueling and sleep!

In reply to Myfyr Tomos:

Hi Myfyr, it's Bridget here (using my hubby's UKC account). It was great to see you on the Dragon's back route and nice it to have you cheering me along. Can't forget the Dragon Mail either - those messages were read over and over each night and definitely kept me going as I only checked my phone from about Day 5!

You gave me the top tip for the Rhinoggs - I got the trod by the wall and then direct down to the hole in the wall (although I think I can still make the descent a bit more direct!). What an amazing route the race takes.

I love your clip on the DBR daily film - great humour and I think you got the forecast right!

see you on the hills again

Bridget 

OP Myfyr Tomos 20 Sep 2022
In reply to Mark Glaister - Assistant Editor:

Cheers Bridget, super effort. See you next time.😁

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...