Double Ramsay round

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 girlymonkey 25 Jun 2021

For those of you who like to dot watch, our friend is currently doing a double Ramsay round attempt. 

Here is the link to the dot. We think both dots are him.

https://track.trail.live/event/david-wallace?fbclid=IwAR1UwON5LVXiFfkXjujpS...

steelbru 26 Jun 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

Read elsewhere that he set off at 5am on Friday and completed first round in 23h 40m, had a 45 min break, then set off again just before 5:30am today - can't seem to see the historical waypoint times on the tracker website apart from the previous one ( unless I'm missing something obvious )

Post edited at 11:21
OP girlymonkey 26 Jun 2021
In reply to steelbru:

Yes, he had navigational issues that slowed him down, he had hoped to finish the first round with enough time to have a couple of hours sleep I think. 

My husband says he's currently about 3 hours behind schedule (not sure where he is getting this information from). He has some knee issues so presumably that is starting to play up.

steelbru 26 Jun 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

Yeah, looks like they went a bit wrong coming off Carn Mor Dearg, heading to the Aonachs - it's a straightforward ridge to follow down to the bealach in good viz, but in clag perhaps not so easy. Also looks like a wee bit of too'ing and fro'ing to find the line down off Aonach Mor, can be a tricky gully to find. Can't tell from the tracker whether these were on round 1 or 2.

Hope his sore knee doesn't hold him up too much. Has he got a decent suppport team with him ?

In reply to steelbru:

He ran with one person for the first round ( i think), and has someone else with him now for the second round. I think he has kept other support to a minimum (has some I think, but not much) as he wanted to keep it as simple as possible. 

Yes, not sure if any of round 2 slowing has been nav related or knee related. He has his knee well strapped up and rested up this last week too so hopefully it's not giving him too much bother.

In reply to steelbru:

Looks like he's bailing. Shame. I guess we will hear in due course what went wrong

steelbru 26 Jun 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

That's a shame, great effort though !

DaveHK 26 Jun 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

> Looks like he's bailing. Shame. I guess we will hear in due course what went wrong

Maybe nothing went wrong, it's just a really hard thing!

In reply to steelbru:

It was his knees. He broken his poles towards the end of the first round and his knees deteriorated from then. 

Shame, he worked hard for it. 

Denning76 27 Jun 2021
In reply to DaveHK:

How many people have doubled up on it? Is it just Spinks?

DaveHK 03 Jul 2021
In reply to Denning76:

> How many people have doubled up on it? Is it just Spinks?

Not detracting from her achievement but technically not even her as her second round was over 24hrs.

OP girlymonkey 05 Jul 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

Incase anyone is interested, here's his report of the run.

https://davidwallaceuk.blogspot.com/2021/07/double-ramsay-round-attempt.htm...

In reply to girlymonkey:

> Incase anyone is interested, here's his report of the run.

Great write up. Funnily enough I ended up setting off on my own Ramsay Round the morning after he abandoned his attempt, so a lot of what he was describing felt really familiar - including the aches and pains!! Whilst I’m not a frequent pole user, I found them absolutely essential throughout - particularly on the steeper ups and on rougher ground.

Sounds like David is up for another attempt, which is quite exciting. I still can’t imagine anything worse than finishing a Ramsay, only to realise you’ve got another Ramsay to go 😱

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...