Double Ramsay?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 More-On 28 Jun 2018
In reply to DaveHK:

Crikey indeed!

Hope there will be a film as the BG one was fantastic.

Either way I hope it cools a bit for her...

Andy Hardy 29 Jun 2018
In reply to DaveHK:

For those who want to while away a few hours: http://live.opentracking.co.uk/ramsaydouble18/

Siward 30 Jun 2018
In reply to DaveHK:

Hmm. Graphene soles eh? Progress or fad?

OP DaveHK 30 Jun 2018
In reply to Siward:

> Hmm. Graphene soles eh? Progress or fad?

I skipped all the product crap when reading the piece. Inov8 would do better making uppers that don't fall apart after 5 runs rather than fancy sole materials.

In reply to Siward:

I'm tempted to focus on and be incredibly impressed by the challenge, rather than worry about some minor marketing content.

plyometrics 30 Jun 2018
In reply to DaveHK:

Amen to that! Without detracting from what will be an awesome achievement, Inov8 soles have always been incredible. They didn’t need improving. What does need attention, like you say, are the uppers, which are nothing short of sh!te.

Graphene uppers would have been a better choice. 

Siward 30 Jun 2018
In reply to mountain.martin:

Couldn't agree more, I was just musing. Its a good week long backpacking route she's chosen. 

Robert Durran 30 Jun 2018
In reply to Siward:

> Couldn't agree more, I was just musing. Its a good week long backpacking route she's chosen. 

I doubt all that many people could manage 8000ft of ascent every day for a week.

OP DaveHK 30 Jun 2018
In reply to DaveHK:

Not too far from the first turn now.

Robert Durran 30 Jun 2018
In reply to DaveHK:

Has anyone else ever achieved anything comparable to this? I find it almost in the same "unimaginable" category as stuff like Honnold soloing Freerider!

OP DaveHK 30 Jun 2018
In reply to Robert Durran:

There isn't much comparable I can think of in UK running other than Nicky's and Roger Baumeister's double Bob Graham rounds. The RR is definitely harder than the BG though. The Barkley Marathons is comparable height gain but (probably) a bit shorter. Don't know what else is comparable abroad.

Post edited at 14:33
 petestack 30 Jun 2018

http://www.gofar.org.uk/UKBig3Records.html

Mike Hartley's 1990 'UK big three' in 3 days 14 hours 20 minutes. Which includes driving time of 7 hours 48 mins by my reckoning if his round times were 21 hours 14 mins, 23 hours 48 mins and 33 hours 30 mins (note the unsurprising slowdown as it all stacked up)!

OP DaveHK 30 Jun 2018
In reply to petestack:

I'd forgotten about that.

steelbru 30 Jun 2018
In reply to DaveHK:

Does anyone know if there was a schedule of predicted/required times at each summit published anywhere ? Any indication if she is ahead/behind schedule ? 

She was 13:56 at her turn around point on Stob Coire Easain how would that have rated on a single ACW round ? Well inside 24, or just on 24 ?

Thanks for any insights.

OP DaveHK 30 Jun 2018
In reply to steelbru:

> She was 13:56 at her turn around point on Stob Coire Easain how would that have rated on a single ACW round ? Well inside 24, or just on 24 ?

I think that's well up on a 24hr schedule. If she'd carried on she might have taken 6 hrs or maybe less to get back to glen nevis so that would be 20 hrs.

Post edited at 17:45
 steelbru 30 Jun 2018
In reply to DaveHK:

Oops, just noticed I put the wrong time in my post, it was 14:15 not 13:56 at Stob Coire Easain, not a huge difference.

Thanks Dave, looks like she's going well then !

OP DaveHK 01 Jul 2018
In reply to DaveHK:

She's got 14hrs to get from the Ben to her far point and back to the YH. Certainly doable but depends how much she slows.

Edit: Of course even if she's over 48 hrs it'll still be massively impressive!

Post edited at 10:00
 petestack 01 Jul 2018
In reply to DaveHK:

> Edit: Of course even if she's over 48 hrs it'll still be massively impressive!

Think that's what we're looking at now with less than six hours to get from Stob Coire Easain to the finish. Sure she'll still complete it, but suspect the heat's just been too much.

greg_may_ 02 Jul 2018
In reply to DaveHK:

Anyone know how she finished?

Andy Hardy 02 Jul 2018
In reply to greg_may_:

Back at the YHA at 7:56 on the tracker.

Monumental effort, it must have punishing in this weather

In reply to greg_may_:

55:56... amazing to stay standing for that long in this weather, let alone doing two Ramsays:

https://www.ukhillwalking.com/news/2018/07/nicky_spinks_runs_double_ramsay_...

drunken monkey 02 Jul 2018
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

Outstanding effort. Inspirational stuff

Removed User 02 Jul 2018
In reply to DaveHK:

A monumental achievement although I can't help but think that if it were me I'd try and 48 different munros in 48 hours (I'm aware that the RR is now 23 +1 btw).

I just wondering how far you could get.

Robert Durran 02 Jul 2018
In reply to Removed User:

> A monumental achievement although I can't help but think that if it were me I'd try and 48 different munros in 48 hours.

I believe people do try to do as many Munro's in 24 hrs as possible and that the best place for it is Glen Shiel/Glen Afffic. Not sure what the record is.

elliptic 02 Jul 2018

It's currently at 30 Munros set by Jim Mann last year, starting from Invercauld Bridge near Braemar. The previous one was around Glen Shiel.

Robert Durran 02 Jul 2018
In reply to elliptic:

> It's currently at 30 Munros set by Jim Mann last year, starting from Invercauld Bridge near Braemar. The previous one was around Glen Shiel.

Yes, I remember that now - and how cunning the route was!

Removed User 02 Jul 2018

Yes Glen Sheil would be a good bet.

I wonder if you could do the Ben, the Aonachs, the Grey Corries, the Loch Treig munros, Ben Alder etc and some or all of the Cairngorms?

elliptic 02 Jul 2018
In reply to Removed User:

Not if you want to finish back where you started, which is the standard rule for the 24 hour record. But you can certainly do eg. all the 4000-ers in a day: http://www.gofar.org.uk/scottish4000s.html

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...