Descent from Pen Yr Ole Wen

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 VDiff Dad 31 May 2018

Good evening,

I'm off on a recce this weekend. The recommended route down from PYOW is east almost along ridge to the path at Afon Lloer. 

The next checkpoint is car park 659602.

I can't see what's wrong with a SW ridge descent to road and across which may even be shorter but more time on the road. Thoughts? 

mbh 31 May 2018
In reply to VDiff Dad:

I think that's what my wife and I tried on a failed W3000  attempt. We got bogged down in heather and vague stuff leading nowhere and lost loads of time. Towards the bottom she threw her walking poles away in disgust and I had to retrieve them. Maybe a hell-for-leather approach might get you down it in good time? On the successful attempt, we went east.

OP VDiff Dad 31 May 2018
In reply to mbh:

Thanks! I guess it's the recommended route for a reason!  I still would have tried the path though - it might be worth me checking out to confirm as I've got a year to decide which way is best.

XXXX 31 May 2018
In reply to VDiff Dad:

It's bastard steep and horrendous. Easier running on the way down to Afon Lloer and less chance of being knocked out by a loose rock.

jezb1 31 May 2018
In reply to VDiff Dad:

S Ridge is just grim and painful on the knees, it’s been 20 years since I’ve been on and hope it’s at least another 20 til I’m on it again..!

Moley 01 Jun 2018
In reply to VDiff Dad:

I only spent a couple of hours on that checkpoint (3 years ago?) all the front runners including Jim Mann, who won that year, came in along the road from the east. I never saw anyone using the alternative - but sure it has been tried.

I think that probably answers your question.

steveriley 01 Jun 2018
In reply to VDiff Dad:

Yep, I'd drop down the E ridge, mostly runable. Only ever done that direct SSW as an exercise in masochism and in ascent. Can't imagine it'd be a great descent

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...