Dartmoor in a day (Okehampton to Ivybridge)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 GDes 23 Jul 2019

Hello, anyone know if there's an established record for this, or even what sort of times it's been done in? If anyone has done it, would love to pick your brains via email 

Cheers

Ged

TMM 24 Jul 2019
In reply to GDes:

https://www.climbsouthwest.com/events/dartmoor-in-a-day/

I think this is the first year of the event. 

There used to be an annual walk from Cornwood (nr Ivybridge) to Okehampton. This was the O.A.T.S (Okehampton Adventure Training Scheme walk. It was used by lots of groups as training for the Ten Tors event. 28.5 miles by a more direct route via Hexoworthy and Postbridge. The section to Hexworthy was wet and tussocky but from Postbridge to Okehampton was much easier. 

The route suggested for the ultra takes in some great running on some good surfaces. The sections South of Princetown largely uses the Abbots Way before getting onto the old tramway. The Northern section is very well established and solid underfoot. 

stuartf 24 Jul 2019
In reply to GDes:

Some numbers here http://axevalleyrunners.org.uk/external/challenges.htm apparently the true start is near belstone at the northernmost moor gate 

I've done it a couple of times (including a double crossing) from okehampton by to ivybridge by various routes.  Additional challenges include visiting all the 600m tops on the way. I also like to include fur tor as allegedly the most remote point on the moor. Happy to advise on various sections etc.

Cheese Monkey 24 Jul 2019
In reply to stuartf:

Fur Tor certainly feels like the most remote place on the moor, particularly when approaching from the South.  I always thought Green Hill on the Southern half felt pretty isolated. Never seen anyone there, or anywhere near it!

mbh 25 Jul 2019
In reply to Cheese Monkey:

At least Fur Tor has some presence. Cut Hill next door is in the 600 club but is a desolate lump of peat in comparison. I felt the isolation of both last year when I went to them.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...