Cycling style running top

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Herdwickmatt 03 Apr 2021

Having watched Breaking 60 (Hong Kong based ultra film) it came to my attention that lots of the runners wore a cycling jersey style cut top which you don't tend to see in the UK. They looked pretty comfortable and distintly less daggy than my runniny wardrobe. Any suggestions on good stockists of such an item? 

NorthernGrit 03 Apr 2021
In reply to Herdwickmatt:

A bike shop?

greg_may_ 03 Apr 2021

Quite a few orienteering tops would work.

Roadrunner6 03 Apr 2021

They are more common in europe, I think Raidlight did a few versions, not sure who stocks them. A few US races gave them out to.

https://raidlight.com/en/collections/maillot-de-trail

Men's Responsiv SS Zip T - expensive though.

Post edited at 23:07
 PFitz 03 Apr 2021

Rather cheaper than the Raidlight offer and seemingly bombproof and comfortable in my experience:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/men-s-trail-running-short-sleeved-t-shirt/_/R...

Run_Ross_Run 04 Apr 2021

Just make sure any pockets have a decent zip/closure system because anything you put in there is going to be bouncing all over the place......

Marek 04 Apr 2021

What exactly are yoi looking for in term of features? A cycling top isn't going to work, but there's plenty of tops marketed as 'base layers' that are similar in style - albeit less garish. I have several from Wiggle, Go Outdoors and so on. Even a ubiquitous Smelly Helly (that I really like).

wbo2 04 Apr 2021
In reply to Herdwickmatt: dynafit, montane and others make them.

If you want to avoid daggy don't wear an actual cycling jersey.  It always looks terrible,  the shape doesn't seem to work

Ridge 04 Apr 2021
In reply to Marek:

> What exactly are you looking for in term of features?

That would be my question? Longer at the back and a rear pocket?

Marek 04 Apr 2021
In reply to Ridge:

> > What exactly are you looking for in term of features?

> That would be my question? Longer at the back and a rear pocket?

Hellys (and most base layers) are quite long and I can't imagine rear pockets working in a running top. Use a bumbag or vest if you need to carry anything more than a key.

Ridge 04 Apr 2021
In reply to Marek:

> Hellys (and most base layers) are quite long and I can't imagine rear pockets working in a running top. Use a bumbag or vest if you need to carry anything more than a key.

Hence my question to the OP. What are they after that a long sleeved running top or base layer doesn't do?

Bish 04 Apr 2021

I've just bought 1 of the t shirts from harrier. Has a rear pocket and a couple of gel type pockets.

Might be worth a look. Sizing is off so pay attention to the size chart.

https://harrierrunfree.co.uk/products/thorpe-ultra-tee

OP Herdwickmatt 04 Apr 2021
In reply to Ridge:

I guess yes. I just sort of like the look of them, they look practical and I like the idea of a small collar. 

I think I also liked the way many of them looked like nascar... quite gaudy amd something different from your average mono-block colour

nufkin 05 Apr 2021

You could try an all-in-one aero skinsuit - that would probably stop irritating bouncing/swinging. But maybe they tend not to have pockets. Plus cycling ones would have a pad inside that'd probably cause more problems than pocket bounce.
What do triathletes use?

yorkshireman 05 Apr 2021

Most of my running tops are 'technical' close fitting tops - I find them the most comfortable. However I've seen (but never bought or tried) these in local sports shops. They have integrated pockets for carrying bars and stuff, but they're expensive when I'd normally carry some kind of pack/bum bag/outer jacket with pockets anyway.

https://www.waa-ultra.com/en/men/trail-running/clothes/tops/ultra-carrier-s...

Justaname 05 Apr 2021

I have a couple of Salomon tops like that, they have pockets that I never use as they're either covered by a bumbag or would bounce around too much. I have a Montane Dragon top which is the same but without the pockets. Pockets in shorts waistbands work surprisingly well for if you only want to take a phone, keys and a gel.

Chriswhoruns 05 Apr 2021
In reply to Bish:

How do you get on with the Harrier top? I like the look of them but don’t think I’d use any of the pockets, and I can’t think what I’d put in the bicep ones?

girlymonkey 05 Apr 2021

Interesting, as we head into warmer weather I look for much looser tops to aid air flow. I have some totally shapeless baggy vests which are amazing as they barely touch my skin! 

In winter, I wear closer tops, usually merino. But in terms of comfort of running, I don't find a close fit necessary other than if I want to keep the wind out in colder weather. 

Each to their own!

matus 06 Apr 2021

hi,

I do wear my cycling tops(and arms warmers if needed...), and they are perfect for me.

m.

mbh 06 Apr 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

>Each to their own!

Indeed. I wear merino T-shirts pretty much all day every day, and all night too, but if I run in them they turn into a bag of sweat, so I don't use them for that.

And loose is fine, and I like it given that my profile is trying to be that of a typical older man, but in warm weather I need to tape up.

girlymonkey 06 Apr 2021
In reply to mbh:

Tape up? 

mbh 06 Apr 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

nipples

girlymonkey 06 Apr 2021
In reply to mbh:

Ah! Lol.

I thought that was more of a cold weather problem! I guess not then!

I find a sports bra works well 😜

mbh 06 Apr 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

No, it's a hot weather thing, for me at least, and, I believe women may suffer less from this than men, for the clothing reason you give.

Bish 06 Apr 2021
In reply to Chriswhoruns:

I haven't worn it out yet but it fits well, has a good shape and I like the collar.

I don't get the arm pockets, if I'm honest not something I will ever use but they are unnoticeable when worn.

Ridge 06 Apr 2021
In reply to Chriswhoruns:

> How do you get on with the Harrier top? I like the look of them but don’t think I’d use any of the pockets, and I can’t think what I’d put in the bicep ones?

Can you pad the bicep pockets to disguise noodle-like arms?

Asking for a friend ..

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...