Cushioning fail in wet shoes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JuneBob 05 May 2019

Hi,

I've noticed a few times in various running shoes that the cushioning seems to deteriorate during a long run if the shoes get completely soaked. This is quite common on the trails, and after a while it feels like the cushioning has permanently compressed and all damping has gone. I can feel it particularly badly on downhill stretches when I land on my heels more. I don't notice it if it's dry or for shorter runs.

Do others notice this? Are there any shoe recommendations to counter it?

I have brooks cascadia, altra superior and altra trim.

Thanks

Roadrunner6 06 May 2019
In reply to JuneBob:

Certainly bad on the roads. I use boosts but still feel it, on hot humid days I feel like I'm slapping the ground.

Hoka's always help but I think you lose a bit of speed and they are also high.

wbo 06 May 2019
In reply to JuneBob:

If your pore space is full of water rather than air it's a very different material.   So yes, I decidedly notice it.

But I can tell the difference between summer and winter in my Hokas.

Answer - Nike air 

tlouth7 07 May 2019
In reply to JuneBob:

I have 2 pairs of Mizuno Waveriders which claim to rely on a springy bit of plastic for cushioning rather than foam. They do seem to cope well in the wet (on road) but of course this may be confirmation bias.

I wouldn't take the road shoes on a trail in the wet because the heel clogs with mud & stones (and snow in my experience), but they do a trail-ish shoe (the GTX) which might suit your needs.

Running in a sodden foam-cushioned shoe is likely to seriously degrade its lifespan, though I know in the UK it is hard to avoid.

OP JuneBob 07 May 2019
In reply to JuneBob:

Thanks for all the replies, I'll have a look at the suggestions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...