Cramp - fatigue or fluid?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Potato 21 May 2019

Is there any way to tell if cramping is caused by lack of fluids, lack of electrolytes or muscle fatigue through overuse?

Im generally of the mind that our bodies can store enough electrolytes and we dont need to supplement unless in extreme situations such as a hot ultramarathon.

Aled Williams 21 May 2019
In reply to The Potato:

I normally suffer from cramp from running and I've noticed adding salt to my food or electrolyte drinks tend to stop this. This goes against recent scientific literature apparently, but it works for me!

Something I noticed recently during a marathon, is that a sudden change of direction could cause me cramp. Upon reaching the summit of pen y fan I turned around to be hit by the worst cramp I've ever had

DaveHK 21 May 2019
In reply to Aled Williams:

> Upon reaching the summit of pen y fan I turned around to be hit by the worst cramp I've ever had

Going from descent to ascent and vice versa or sudden jolts / different movements is a common trigger but probably not the underlying cause.

To the OP, when is it happening? Racing, training, pace, terrain, length of run that sort of thing.

For me cramp is almost always a result of setting off too quick and trying to race at a pace I haven't trained for.

SouthernSteve 21 May 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

> For me cramp is almost always a result of setting off too quick and trying to race at a pace I haven't trained for.

Speeding up when tired every time- recently stuck behind a lady who did not let me pass for a few hundred yards and then accelerating to try to make up time and perhaps prove a point!

Yanis Nayu 21 May 2019
In reply to The Potato:

I only get cramp when very fatigued and then making an intense effort, like in races. The fitter I am, the less I get it. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...