Consistant tight calves

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ford23 17 Jul 2019

Hello folks,

Imagine this is a big topic thats effected quite a few people but  a while (4 months) ago I had slight tendonitis achilles, which after rehab has gone which is great. I am back to running 5 days a week or so, mixed distances. I notice my calves seem to be abnormally tight a lot of the time (despite lots of stretching), particularly after runs, was wondering if that’s common after tendonitis and if you would advise anything to combat this?

Post edited at 19:09
 afx22 17 Jul 2019
In reply to ford23:

This is something I also suffer from.  I’ve never been able to eliminate it but;

1. It’s less of an issue now I’m 4 years back in to regular running, after a 15 year lay off.  I think the year on year mileage has helped.

2. I suffer less when using shoes with some stability - Asics Gel Kayano and Nike Zoom Structure.

3. I’ve found the calves get tighter once the shoes soften up.  This can be as early as only 300 miles, so I buy new ones more often than I used to.

4. If I decide to do something stupid, like if I quickly ramp up the mileage, or go for a really long run, then my calves will pay for it.

I do all the usual foam rolling and stretching but I find it best not to get in to a situation where I need to.

BusyLizzie 17 Jul 2019
In reply to ford23:

I found that stretching the calves before and after running, by standing with my toes on a step and dropping each heel in turn, made an enormous difference - tight calves are now hardly a problem at all.

SouthernSteve 17 Jul 2019
In reply to ford23:

As a general rule if you are tight and you cannot stretch it out you are weak in that muscle group - this was definitely true for me for my calves for a long while. The physio used some basic tests such as single leg calf raises as a measure of strength endurance and then set a range of exercises and used the test to both compare the two sides and also measure progress. 

A sports physio check may be very worthwhile. Hope this helps

dh73 18 Jul 2019
In reply to ford23:

I do a lot of running uphill - either hill repeats or just fell running. I don't have tight calves. this may just be luck or it may be that the hill running strengthens my calves; or that running uphill on my toes all the time stretches the calf and helps that way. no idea on the science, but if you don't do a lot of hill repeats it may be worth introducing some to see if that works?

Rigid Raider 18 Jul 2019
In reply to ford23:

As people age they become less flexible and more prone to muscle injuries. Why do you keep running around when you've already suffered a stress injury? Whay don't you go and buy a bicycle, you'll get there much quicker and have more fun too.

XXXX 18 Jul 2019
In reply to dh73:

This is terrible advice. Increasing hill work when already carrying an injury or tightness in the calves could exacerbate it and lead to injury. Probably achilles tendonitis.

energico 20 Jul 2019
In reply to XXXX:

Stop running until you've visited your doctor and perhaps following that, the physiotherapist, but in any case, its Doc first to find out if there is anything sinister going on. You might have searched to internet for answers, but  follow my advice and see the Doc first. He or the Physio might suggest some tests on your muscle compartment or vascular system, if all turns out clear, begin running and cycling alternate days, cross training is a good way or resting the muscles and working them in different planes of movement because repetitive movements can easily cause injury. Learn about your muscles and how they work, learn about the different ways in which you can work your muscles. BusyLizzie mentioned lowering your heel whilst toes are on a step, which is a good eccentric strength exercise and also stretches the muscle group, however, don't venture there until you've been checked out by the medical experts.  

Max factor 21 Jul 2019
In reply to energico:

I reckon physio before doctor any day. Going to see a GP with tight calves is likely to be a waste of your time. At best you might get a gem like: "is it bad after running? Try not running." That's  how rationed healthcare has become in our parts.

And if you are hoping to get physio on the NHS, there is a 8 week waiting time and it's strictly prioritised.   

GDes 21 Jul 2019
In reply to Max factor:

Not necessarily. There's a physio self referral where we live (South Devon), I got an appointment within 2 weeks 

Ridge 21 Jul 2019
In reply to XXXX:

> This is terrible advice. Increasing hill work when already carrying an injury or tightness in the calves could exacerbate it and lead to injury. Probably achilles tendonitis.

+1. Running “uphill on your toes” doesn't stretch the calf, it tightens it. Increasing hill work made a right mess of my achilles. Heel drops keep it at bay these days, but it took a long time to get to that point once the damage had been done.

mik82 21 Jul 2019
In reply to energico:

I really wouldn't bother seeing your GP with something like this. Unless they've got some sports and exercise medicine experience (and probably even if they do) they will likely recommend you see a physio. 

Just find a recommended physio locally and book an appointment

Post edited at 21:08
 mountainbagger 21 Jul 2019
In reply to Ridge:

> +1. Running “uphill on your toes” doesn't stretch the calf, it tightens it. Increasing hill work made a right mess of my achilles. Heel drops keep it at bay these days, but it took a long time to get to that point once the damage had been done.

+2. Tight calves = watch out for your Achilles. Don't increase speed work or hills or distance until you've been to the physio! Once you've damaged your Achilles it's a whole new world of pain and frustration.

A sufferer

Edit: sorry it seems the OP has had Achilles tendonitis already but you don't want it to come back!

Post edited at 22:48
 Sealwife 21 Jul 2019
In reply to ford23:

Having had similar problems on and off for many years, I finally saw a podiatrist, who traced it to a ridiculously tight hamstring.  She did a deep and painful massage which instantly relieved the pressure on my achilles, then prescribed a course of foam roller, stretching and standing on a wobble board.

This helped but what appears to be preventing a recurrence is attending a barre concept class - which is a series of plies, pointes, and stretches.  Not the reason I started the class, but a welcome side-effect

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...