Compression socks recommendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 GDes 28 Aug 2020

I'm coming back from a calf injury that's had me out of action for a while. Im finding that compression socks seem to help, don't seem to feel the tightness when they're on. I'm at the stage where I'm building up miles again after lots of rehab.

The pair I've got were just cheap ones off amazon, so my question is, will I notice the difference with a more expensive pair, and if so, can you suggest any particular ones? 

Cheers in advance

Ged 

Dark-Cloud 28 Aug 2020
In reply to GDes:

I have some 1000 Mile ones that I’m more than happy with

1philjones1 28 Aug 2020
In reply to GDes:

Hi Ged 

I’ve has loads of calf tears over the years and have tried many different compression socks with varying degrees of success. The main issue I’ve found is that they may be good compression socks but they are not great trekking/mountaineering socks in terms of comfort.
I've had much more success with calf sleeves together with my normal mountaineering socks. I’ve no particular recommendation in terms of brand but make sure you get the right size so that they are fairly tight and supportive but not too tight.
One main advantage is that when your calf feels ok again, you can just carry a calf sleeve in your rucksack just in case (I always have one now in my first aid kit) and carry on wearing your normal socks.
Phil

OP GDes 29 Aug 2020
In reply to 1philjones1:

Thanks Phil. The sleeve type things are what I've been using, rather than a sock. I only ever feel the need to wear them running, but good advice keeping one handy. 

TMM 29 Aug 2020
In reply to GDes:

I got a pair of X-Bionic calf sleeves from Sports Pursuit in one of their endless clearance sales. They less than an tenner and have been amazing. I wear them for all runs over 20k and they have really helped to reduce fatigue and injury. I was so impressed I got another pair straight away.

They have some X-Bionic compression socks on there at the moment at a decent price but I am not so keen on their socks, I prefer Hilly, but they could be worth a go.

Martin Hore 29 Aug 2020
In reply to GDes:

Hi Ged

I've been diagnosed with lymphoedema - basically the lymphatic system in my legs is shot which leads to swelling and high risk of infection. It's is currently kept well under control with compression socks by day and keeping my legs raised at night. 

So I get compression stockings free on the NHS which is nice. The ones I'm prescribed are manufactured by Sigvaris and are pretty effective. They come in different compression classes - mine are class 3. I wear them all the time including mountain walking (with an additional thinnish pair of socks on top in my mountain boots) and find them quite comfortable. The only downside is that they are almost impossible to put on over damp feet, even sweaty feet. For climbing on easy terrain I wear them inside comfy rock shoes. For harder climbing I swap to less effective but thinner anti-DVT stockings from Boots which fit inside my tighter rock shoes.

Mine is a different condition to yours, but I hope the info may be helpful to you or others reading the thread.

Martin

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...