Chamonix?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Faringdonred 20 Feb 2023

I am planning a weeks mountain running in the Alps at the end of July. Is Chamonix the best bet to base myself? I will be camping and doing things on a tight budget. Am I best to fly to Geneva and hire a car from there or drive from UK. Any routes or advice about where to stay would be great.

plyometrics 20 Feb 2023
In reply to Faringdonred:

Have done loads of running in Chamonix and there are some superb trails there. We always fly to GVA then use Mountain Drop Offs for transferring to Chamonix, but you can catch the train too.

Download the IGN Rando app and check Chamonix out. You’ll see there are loads of trails to go at from the valley floor.

You’ll also be able to take advantage of the lifts to get about too, which can be helpful to get you high, or back down, quickly. 

Classic routes include things like Grand Balcon Nord and Sud. The north route under Les aiguilles to Signal Forbes has a big feel about it. Particularly when you do it from town. The vertical K is also worth doing. 

One of my favourites is up to the summit of Brevent via Bel Lachat, then back down via Plan Praz, which is lovely. 

Lots of others too and the options are almost limitless.

Running the Tour du Mont Blanc over a few days might be worth considering too. Never done that, but it’s a popular hut to hut walk.

Enjoy! You’ll have a blast!!!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...