Calf Pain

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
phil27uk 20 Feb 2013
Hi All,

I started running in late October on roads and now am up to around 6 mile runs. The last two times I have finished road runs I have noticed that I have pain and stiffness in my left calf and just below the calf muscle. Have tried the usual calf stretches but the soreness persists for a couple of days.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar to this?

Thanks in advance

Andy Nisbet 20 Feb 2013
In reply to phil27uk:
> Hi All,
>
> I started running in late October on roads and now am up to around 6 mile runs. The last two times I have finished road runs I have noticed that I have pain and stiffness in my left calf and just below the calf muscle. Have tried the usual calf stretches but the soreness persists for a couple of days.
>
> Has anyone else experienced anything similar to this?
>

Is this achilles tendon inflammation? If so, and you have stiff calves anyway (from lots of hillwalking), then you may have to do a long period of stretching before you run again, or it will occur.
 wbo 20 Feb 2013
In reply to phil27uk: This could be any number of things and require any one or more of a lot of fixes.
What running style and shoes do you have is a starter? How did you choose your shoes.
As said, you may need a bunch of stretching as well
 Sandrex 20 Feb 2013
In reply to phil27uk: Had similar pain below calf to outside of leg. Treated for Soleus muscle strain. Massage helped but took a while to go.
phil27uk 21 Feb 2013
In reply to wbo: I bought my shoes from a local running shop who did an analysis with a treadmill and camera and then recommended shoes from there. I think I will do the stretching and a short run on Saturday to see if this helps any. If not I suppose it's a trip to a physio or a sports massage person.
 JamButty 21 Feb 2013
In reply to phil27uk: yeah be careful, you could be heading towards achillis tendonitis. If its not your gait, then how old are you. I'm early 40s and found going from zero running to 10K in 6 months caused achillis problems, especially on roads.
Lots of stretching before and after and keep a slow pace early on may help as well as offroad,
Don't want to worry you but it could lead to major problems if you ignore it.
phil27uk 22 Feb 2013
In reply to JamButty: Not far behind you age wise, hitting 40 on Sunday. I have been doing a little bit of trail running and haven't felt the same pain afterward but the last trail run I did was only about 4 miles! Will see how it goes this weekend, do about half the distance I usually do and see how it feels.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...