broken collar bone- when can I run?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Lrunner 06 Aug 2020

broke my coller bone when I well off my bike,

anyone know when I can think about running, considering doing it in a sling like killan Jornet but that's obviously silly. 

Apparently its very common to break it but I can't find any advice on when to run. 

Also are physios in scotland still closed??

LeeWood 06 Aug 2020
In reply to Lrunner:

as soon as it no longer hurts; has the bone been plated ? you can run - 'with a style' - to keep your upper body from twisting and jolting

Harry Jarvis 06 Aug 2020
In reply to Lrunner:

A good friend of mine managed the same thing back in April. He was out of the sling after 3 weeks and back running in 4 weeks, starting with short runs (about a mile) and building up slowly. The major impediment, worse than the break, was the whiplash, which was very uncomfortable. He is still suffering from neck pains, although they are easing. 

Of course, it will vary according to the severity of the fracture - his was broken in three pieces. His advice would be to take a bit of a break and then ease back gently. 

OP Lrunner 06 Aug 2020
In reply to Harry Jarvis:

Cheers both, its fractured in two places. I have a bad lot of whiplash too. Off work for a bit, gutted because I was going strong.

The ligament is trashed too but that will never heal apparently. The doctor said not to worry unless I played rugby.  He is confident I'll be able to do pull ups and climb.

Lawrence

nniff 06 Aug 2020
In reply to Lrunner:

Is it plated or are you just keeping it until it gets better?  Pretty much instantly stable if plated, but there is the small matter of a gurt hole in your body

OP Lrunner 06 Aug 2020
In reply to nniff:

Is plated after an op? Doc said I didn't need one and sent me away with a sling. Said it was a good clean break.

Lawrence

nniff 06 Aug 2020
In reply to Lrunner:

I was told to keep mine until it got better.  I wasn't convinced, looking the x-ray, but off I went for two weeks of purgatory.  On my return to the fracture clinic, I told them I wan't going to see the monkey, I was going to see the organ-grinder, no matter how long I had to wait.  THe consultant's first words were "Ooh, that's a nasty break; we ought to fix that for you".   I had to sign a consent form for the op, but the most dangerous part was telling my lawful wedded opponent that i was having an operation on Tuesday when we were flying to Indonesia on Thursday.  She was of course livid with me already.  The flight was misery.

I guess you'll find out in a couple of weeks if it's beginning to join back together, but don't try anything until it's fused.  Long term grief is never worth short term gain.  Recovery of a injured injury always takes longer.

OP Lrunner 06 Aug 2020
In reply to nniff:

good advice, no sure what follow up I'll get with Covid but I'm in the emergency services and the doc said I could be off light duties in a month. That sounds like bollocks to me. 

Like you my wife is livid! I was supposed to transfer to North Wales next month. That's delayed by 6 months at least!

i was only biking to avoid a twisted ankle in the hills!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...