NEW ROUTE CARD: Branstree, Mosedale and Swindale

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
The far eastern fells are an antidote to the usual Lakeland bustle. These green rolling hills may lack the grandeur of the high peaks, but make up for it with a quiet spaciousness. Despite its easy-access proximity to the M6 - sometimes even visible at a distance - the circuit described here has a secluded feel, taking in the uncrowded summits of Selside Pike and Branstree, and lonely Mosedale, home to one of England's few proper mountain bothies.

10 miles, 16.10 km, 607m ascent, 3 – 5 hours. Shap

Read more

Guy Hurst 19 Apr 2022
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

Glad you had a good run, although I notice you do mention bogs a few times in your write-up. I was in that area at the weekend and didn't think the going was too bad underfoot. Maybe I've got too used to the North Pennines.

In reply to Guy Hurst:

Mosedale is pretty spongy, think it'd take a drought to get through with dry socks. But I doubt it compares to the worst of the N.Pennines. Fond memories of this watershed route (though I'm in no hurry to go back): https://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/r/?i=256  

In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

Its very dry at the moment. The bog around the bothy can be truly awful in winter.Hobgrumble Gill is worth a visit (if for the name alone) and the scramble up Mosedale Force is nice.

airborne 19 Apr 2022
In reply to Guy Hurst:

Seriously, I was running in Mosedale about a month ago, near the gate that’s the watershed between Mosedale and Longsleddale, and I stepped in a bottomless patch of bog that went up to my mid-thighs. I was trapped - would have been hilarious with someone else there, but felt proper serious at the time as it’s so remote. I managed to twist around and pull myself out using tussocks behind, but there was a moment of near-panic. Mosedale is boggy!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...