Bluetooth headphones for running

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 LastBoyScout 20 Feb 2021

Now that I've just picked up a mini MP3 player with Bluetooth and my wife has a new Garmin Vivoactive 4s music, we need some matching headphones, as all ours are currently wired ones.

Wife likes the look of the Jabra Elite Active 45e, which, at around £45, are about bang on for price.

Need to be waterproof in case of getting caught in the rain.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

MonkeyPuzzle 20 Feb 2021
In reply to LastBoyScout:

I have the Jabra Active 65T (I think). Quite a bit more expensive but the sound, connection and fit are perfect for me. Word of warning though: They appear to run large. I've needed to use the largest size silicon plugs on the three other in-ear headphones I've used but on the Jabras I've ended up with the smallest.

Definitely worth reading as many user reviews as possible.

Graham Mck 20 Feb 2021

I use a pair of AfterShokz Trekz.  As they are not in-ear I feel a bit safer as I can hear cars etc.   Very happy with them.

BattyMilk 20 Feb 2021

I have a pair of those after years of buying and replacing numerous pairs of cheaper unbranded Chinese Bluetooth headphones from Amazon which would break after a few months. They’ve done me a good couple of years so far with at least 2hrs use a day during the week. Rechargeable battery life is good (5/6 hours on a charge).

I’ve worn them in numerous torrential downpours and they get coated with sweat with no issues.

I like that they’re connected so I can take them out and wear them round my neck.

I’m no audiophile but sound quality is more than good enough for me (mostly podcasts with a bit of music here and there).

I use them on the bike and running mostly. They can sound a bit windy when it’s blowy on the bike and there’s not much sound isolation (which I suppose is good when on the bike anyway).

The fit took a while to get right and they kept falling out at first but all sorted now.

If I lost them I’d happily replace with like for like

mountainbagger 20 Feb 2021
In reply to Graham Mck:

> I use a pair of AfterShokz Trekz.  As they are not in-ear I feel a bit safer as I can hear cars etc.   Very happy with them.

+1 for these. Very happy with mine. I've worn them many times in the rain with no problems.

Herdwickmatt 20 Feb 2021
In reply to mountainbagger:

I've just got some but not used them in anger yet (stupid injury) they seem like a really nicely made bit of kit. I found that QVC were the cheapest.

mp3ferret 20 Feb 2021

Another vote for the Jabra's.  Great earphones.  And as waterproof as advertised - I dropped mine in the bath a few days ago - still work perfectly.

OP LastBoyScout 22 Feb 2021
In reply to mp3ferret:

Thanks,

We've order a pair of the Active 45e, so will see how they go.

Any chance you could report back, especially regards ambient sound? Thanks.

Wheelsy 22 Feb 2021

I can see the OP has opted for a particular pair, but in case anyone else is following I just thought I'd give another +1 for Aftershokz. I couldn't get on with normal in-ear earphones because of the thudding noise of my feet in my ears, and with the Aftershokz being bone conducting you don't get this problem. A few days ago I was out for a run and got stopped by a family looking for directions. We chatted for a few minutes and it was only a while later that I realised my music had been playing the whole time and it had been perfectly possible to hold a conversation whilst listening to music.

ben b 24 Feb 2021

Tried Mrs B's AirPod Pros the other week. Sound fabulous, fit me well around the house and mowing the lawns etc, but when running fell out 23 times in 5km. Not doing that again. YMMV but the bone conduction ones will be the next to try!

b

tingle 24 Feb 2021
In reply to MonkeyPuzzle:

I think mine are 75t but I can’t use them for running after they gave me an ear infection/vertigo so I’m jumping in here to see if anyone recommends some decent headphones 

Axel Smeets 24 Feb 2021
In reply to tingle:

I have the Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless 2 for the gym and I use Bose Quiet Comfort Buds at work. 

Sound wise the Sennheisers have the edge but if it's for running, the Bose QCs will stay in better as they have a little hook which grips the inner ear. 

Bose also do a sport version which are basically the QCs without noise cancellation (and hence are cheaper). Bose noise cancellation is excellent, however, and is worth the extra cost in my opinion. 

Both the Bose QCs and the Sennheisers are IPX 4 rated so can cope with sweat and rain with no issues. 

Euge 25 Feb 2021

I have Plantronics BackBeat Fit 3200 which are superb for gym etc, outside it's Trekz by Aftershokz 

Cheers

Euge

tingle 07 Mar 2021
In reply to Herdwickmatt:

Reigniting the thread because i bought a pair of aftershockz air upon recommendations when i saw them in costco for £72. And they are perfect for running (may not be compatible with glasses)

Babika 07 Mar 2021

Another vote for Trekz Titanium by Aftershockz.

I can't stick things in my ears so these are brilliant! 

Graham T 07 Mar 2021
In reply to Babika:

Agreed,  love my trekz titaniums, can hear music or podcasts well enough and also hear traffic and bikes etc on the way round

mountainbagger 07 Mar 2021
In reply to tingle:

> Reigniting the thread because i bought a pair of aftershockz air upon recommendations when i saw them in costco for £72. And they are perfect for running (may not be compatible with glasses)

I have Aftershockz and they work fine with both my normal prescription glasses and also when I wear contact lenses with my supercool wraparound sunglasses 😎

OP LastBoyScout 09 Mar 2021
In reply to Stuart (aka brt):

> Any chance you could report back, especially regards ambient sound? Thanks.

Borrowed them for a run at the weekend. Didn't have them turned up very loud and could hear a bit of wind noise, but not so bad as to be a problem.

The bigger issue I had was the connecting cable kept getting caught between my top and neck, which got rather irritating as it was pulling my ears and catching when turning my head. My wife reported no such issues, though.

Thanks. 

jethro kiernan 13 Mar 2021

Just ordered a pair of Jabra 45, half price on the Jabra web site so hopefully they won't be adding to the pile of broken headphones I've been going through to see if anything is salvageable.

Dax H 14 Mar 2021

I have some Jabra Sports Pulce. They fit me well, sound okay and like to a phone app for Pulce and fitness tracking. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...