Any Spiners?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
gazonk 09 Jan 2019

3 days until dot watching, any folks on here being the actual dots this year?

Clauso 09 Jan 2019
In reply to gazonk:

This will be the 5th year that I've taken part in the race... Watching the dots, that is. It gets fairly gruelling at times.

hokkyokusei 09 Jan 2019
In reply to Clauso:

I remember a couple of years ago, woke up in the middle of the night, wind and rain/snow outside, checked the dots, the leaders were crossing some desolate bit of moorland. I shuddered, pulled the duvet up to my chin, and went back to sleep. 

subtle 09 Jan 2019
In reply to Clauso:

> Watching the dots, that is. It gets fairly gruelling at times.

I always thought you saw owls?

Tom Valentine 09 Jan 2019
In reply to gazonk:

I like traditional folk but am not too fond of the Scousified version,

In reply to gazonk:

Would someone care to translate this for ignoramuses like myself?

scoobydougan 09 Jan 2019
In reply to John Stainforth:

Spine race, Pennine Way in under 7 days, in winter 

pasbury 09 Jan 2019
In reply to John Stainforth:

Last year we all watched wonrek from this site (represented by a dot) negotiate the route in brass monkey weather and bloody riveting it was too.

Welsh Kate 09 Jan 2019
In reply to gazonk:

521 Rob Smith and 526 James Taylor-Short who are running in the MRT Challenger are friends of mine. Rob's in Central Beacons with me, and he's the defending MRT men's champion, so I'll be keeping a close watch on his dot!

BusyLizzie 09 Jan 2019
In reply to gazonk:

Oh wow I am looking forward to another week of arduous dot-watching.

Iain Thow 09 Jan 2019
In reply to pasbury:

Think she's doing the Challenger this year 

Iain Thow 09 Jan 2019
In reply to mountainbagger:

Maybe a new women's record then?

mountainbagger 09 Jan 2019
In reply to Iain Thow:

> Maybe a new women's record then?

Yes, exciting!

DinoF 10 Jan 2019
In reply to Iain Thow:

Maybe a new outright record? . I'm sure she'll have a great race and it'll give Eoin, Eugeni, John Knapp, Kevin Hadfield and the rest something to think about. Shelli Gordon has a great record in long races too, including an outright win in a 200 mile race, so it'll be an exciting week.

After dot watching my wife in the full Spine for the last two years, I'm having a go at the 'Baby' Spine (the Challenger) this year. I think it'll be less stressful being out on the course .

Welsh Kate 10 Jan 2019
In reply to DinoF:

Best of luck! What's your number?

DinoF 10 Jan 2019
In reply to Welsh Kate:

343, Kate.

The New NickB 10 Jan 2019
In reply to DinoF:

If you are who I think you are, you probably have as good an idea as anyone if the current record is likely to go. You will be very aware that Jasmin has been getting a few tips.

Michael Hood 10 Jan 2019
In reply to The New NickB:

I think that the major factor in whether the record will go is the weather.

Dry, no wind but with a frost every day to stop the ground getting boggy would be ideal but I suspect that's only going to be in the spiners' dreams (if they sleep for long enough)

Iain Thow 10 Jan 2019
In reply to DinoF:

Good luck. Will keep an eye on your dot (definitely much easier than actually running it!)

Edit: having just googled you I see what Nick means. Good luck to your other half too.

Post edited at 20:40
 DinoF 10 Jan 2019
In reply to Iain Thow:

Thanks Ian and Nick. I think I probably am who you think I am. . Off to Edale tomorrow and just hoping to finish. 

I hope Jasmin gives it a good go; her BG and Ramsay rounds are both amazing records and tips or no tips she’ll be prepared. Hope the need to breast feed en route doesn’t slow her down. Eoin won’t have that to cope with .

jayme 12 Jan 2019
In reply to gazonk:

I will be in the HQ looking after the safety of the runners. 

12 hour shifts dot watching....

BusyLizzie 12 Jan 2019
In reply to gazonk:

Just watched the start of the Challenger. Go Wonrek!

mountainbagger 12 Jan 2019
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Early days, but why not...I'm predicting a course record for the Challenger...Jim Mann. Looking good!

Edit: and, whilst I'm feeling prescient, women's record for Carol Morgan.

Post edited at 13:18
 mountainbagger 12 Jan 2019
In reply to gazonk:

Also, good video here to kick it off: https://www.facebook.com/TheSpineRace/videos/281757472487516/

Iain Thow 12 Jan 2019

Both of them looking pretty good so far. Jim Mann's lead is particularly impressive. DinoF of this parish (343) is doing pretty well too, past Wessenden already. Did a (piffling) run further up the PW myself this morning and the ground seems in decent nick so wouldn't be a surprise for records to fall.

greg_may_ 12 Jan 2019
In reply to gazonk:

Jim should have had a tail wind most of the way over the tops above Hebden. Blowing a hoolie here at the moment.

Now the joy of the down, then back out, from Hebden Hey. 

Iain Thow 12 Jan 2019
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Wonrek seems to be heading off down the Wessenden Valley towards Marsden. Hope she's ok.

Iain Thow 12 Jan 2019
In reply to greg_may_:

Pretty foul on the Peak moors now (and I'm only at 400m), going to be a tough night up on the tops for the Challengers. Good luck (and lots of admiration) to them.

Tony & Sarah 12 Jan 2019
In reply to Iain Thow:

Wonrek back on track, navigation error?

Iain Thow 12 Jan 2019
In reply to Tony & Sarah:

Yes, looks like it. From what I remember that left turn is easy to miss, and probably a hell of a lot easier in the dark, mist and pissing rain.

Robms 12 Jan 2019
In reply to gazonk:

When I open up the live tracker on my laptop I see the map but not the dots.   Anyone have any suggestions - I'm missing the action!

Andrew Lodge 12 Jan 2019
In reply to gazonk:

What is Wonrek's number?

Iain Thow 12 Jan 2019
In reply to Andrew Lodge:

406. Back on track and part of a group of 6 a couple of km N of Standedge.

greg_may_ 12 Jan 2019
In reply to gazonk:

Weather out in Hebden is awful. I was going to go out to spectate/cheer....but I'm staying inside.

May need a medicinal drink to help me do so....

Will be out tomorrow to cheer a mate on in the full race.

Iain Thow 13 Jan 2019
In reply to gazonk:

Wow! Well done Jim Mann. A whole 2 hours off the Challenger record, and in rubbish weather too.

mountainbagger 13 Jan 2019

> Early days, but why not...I'm predicting a course record for the Challenger...Jim Mann. Looking good!

> Edit: and, whilst I'm feeling prescient, women's record for Carol Morgan.

Well, one prediction right so far! Jim Mann in just under 23 hrs (unofficial, just me looking at tracking). Wow.

Edit: sorry, didn't see Iain's post before I wrote mine.

Post edited at 08:53
 Iain Thow 13 Jan 2019

Carol Morgan looks on course to fulfill your second prediction too.

Good luck to all the main race runners currently flogging up onto Kinder. It's thick mirk up here but at least the wind seems to have dropped a bit since last night.

Iain Thow 13 Jan 2019
In reply to gazonk:

Wouter Huitzing is just finishing. Must be a bit frustrating to beat the course record and still not win.

Michael Hood 13 Jan 2019
In reply to Iain Thow:

Think he's just going to miss that but still be sub 26.

Iain Thow 13 Jan 2019
In reply to Michael Hood:

The Spine Facebook page is giving him 24.09, well within the record.

Edit. No it's just changed to 25.57, so you're right.

Post edited at 10:03
 Welsh Kate 13 Jan 2019
In reply to gazonk:

Our Rob Smith has had to retire from the MRT Challenger at Malham. He was hoping to defend his title and I know he'll be gutted. Don't know what's happened, but I've heard that some Challengers have been hurt being blown over by the wind.

Iain Thow 13 Jan 2019
In reply to Welsh Kate:

Howard Dracup just finished and apparently he had to crawl over the top of Penyghent (presumably either the final steep pull or the bit where you leave the shelter of the summit wall?). Explains why people seem to be slowing down on that section! 

Hope they're all ok.

Post edited at 12:07
 Welsh Kate 13 Jan 2019
In reply to Iain Thow:

Rob's just posted - calf muscle injury, and he couldn't move fast enough to keep warm given the conditions. Gutted for him, he'd been making really good progress.

The downside for him is that when he's recovered, he's still going to be the go-to person to expedite emergency equipment up the hill to a casualty on a callout :-D

Iain Thow 13 Jan 2019
In reply to Welsh Kate:

Running from Edale to Malham in not much over a day is still quite some achievement in those conditions. Good on him.

Mick B 13 Jan 2019
In reply to gazonk:

I'm keeping an eye on No 315,  so far so good.

Hopefully he'll get back to focusing on the true path when this is out of the way.

https://www.ukclimbing.com/user/profile.php?id=148828

Iain Thow 13 Jan 2019

Nice interview with Wouter on the Spine Facebook page, with Jim Mann in it too.

Interviewer "Were there any highlights?" WH "Finishing"

Re Jim Mann: "the mist ate him, it was just (waves), "Bye Jim".

Bulls Crack 13 Jan 2019
In reply to Iain Thow:

Simon Bourne (2nd last , 4th this time) year is a near neighbour and Starva friend.  I sometimes try to emulate his training runs...usually slowly and often unsuccessfully ! 

Iain Thow 13 Jan 2019
In reply to Welsh Kate:

I gather that runners are being diverted round below Penyghent now because of 60-70mph winds on top. DinoF of this parish is on the diversion now. Got to be a sensible decision at that windspeed.

Iain Thow 13 Jan 2019
In reply to gazonk:

Only just noticed the story from last night about Andrew Heaney (353), who came across a lost and very cold walker and left the route to help him down to the road before going back up again to carry on running. Impressive!

Welsh Kate 13 Jan 2019
In reply to Iain Thow:

And rightly, he's going to be credited with time for that

Joe Farnell's won the MRT challenger in a great time. And Jasmin Paris, not surprisingly, is giving the guys a run for their money at the front of the full Spine.

Iain Thow 13 Jan 2019
In reply to Welsh Kate:

There's just something about the Spine Race that it generates such great stories.

The New NickB 13 Jan 2019
In reply to Iain Thow:

Just got back from a weekend in the Lakes mostly without phone signal, so just catching up on results. Wind was pretty brutal on the high tops. I was pleased, but quite surprised to see that my mate Howard had finished third in the challenger. He has only been running a few years and his physical transformation is quite spectacular.

Iain Thow 13 Jan 2019

He's obviously a tough cookie. In his interview he describes crawling over the top of Penyghent, but then says that it was his favourite bit of the race!

Ian W 13 Jan 2019
In reply to gazonk:

Went out in upper weardale today, very gusty; its been like that all weekend in these parts, although the forecast is that the wind is going to lessen and change direction over the next 24/48 hours.

Iain Thow 13 Jan 2019
In reply to Ian W:

Hi Ian,

If the forecast is right they might be getting some of the white stuff by the time they are up in your patch. At least it should freeze the bogs though.

Ian W 13 Jan 2019
In reply to Iain Thow:

And where would we be without frozen bogs!

Yup, the forecast is cold, and with the winds, the wind chill will be harsh, although not like last year.

mountainbagger 13 Jan 2019
In reply to everyone:

Episode 3, including Jim Mann's finish:

https://www.facebook.com/TheSpineRace/videos/770748379954053/

Quite emotional watching it really!

Iain Thow 14 Jan 2019
In reply to gazonk:

Congrats to DinoF of this parish who finished the Challenger last night. Of the other UKC people Matt Brennan (315) is just coming into Hawes so should make it too in the next 15 mins or so. Wonrek (406) is coming off Fountains Fell so about 14 miles to go. Looks like Penyghent is back on the menu so she's got another steepie to come. Go Wonrek!

BALD EAGLE 14 Jan 2019
In reply to gazonk:

Damn this is soooo exciting Jasmin (195) and Eoin (170) seemed to have pulled away from Eugeni (205) (unless his tracker is faulty) and are about 6km north of Horton in Ribblesdale in the full Spine race:

http://live.thespinerace.com/

They have covered the 90miles or so of the Southern section in 24 hours! My missus and I only took 6 days to do this...

jayme 14 Jan 2019
In reply to Iain Thow:

The Challengers do not have to go over Pen-y-ghent as the diversion was put in place yesterday and remains in place for fairness. They may choose to go over if they wish to!

The Spine racers do need to go over Pen-y-ghent

jayme 14 Jan 2019
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

All three together as they hit the Cam high road.

Last year the leaders slept at Tan Hill for their first rest!

BALD EAGLE 14 Jan 2019
In reply to jayme:

Yep jayme you are right and all 3 leaders are together approaching Cam Dodd Fell before the descent into Hawes! Having walked the Pennine Way over a leisurely 3 weeks in the summer I'm just blown away by all of the competitors, but especially the leaders. And especially Jasmin!

On a separate note I'm struggling to think of any sporting endeavour (climbing is pretty close!) where the elite woman is matching the elite man? Go Jasmin Go!

Post edited at 10:48
 T38 14 Jan 2019
In reply to gazonk:

Amazing to watch, also the difference in speed regarding the challengers versus the spiners.

I also ambled along the PW last year (fully loaded) and cannot imagine doing more than 15 miles a day atm (I too had to almost crawl over Fountains Fell and Penyghent). 

Total respect to all taking part.

Post edited at 11:45
 jayme 14 Jan 2019
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

I will be running part of the Pennine way today along Hadrian's Wall and plan to compare my pace to the leaders when they come through in a few days.

If I extrapolate against their time would I win the Spine?

Michael Hood 14 Jan 2019
In reply to all:

Anyone any idea why the Spiners have done 114m into Hawes, but the Challenge route to Hardraw is only 108m ?

The PyG diversion would only account for about 2m of that.

Also, the first 5 Challengers went over PyG.

The New NickB 14 Jan 2019
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

Getting interesting, looks like Eoin is taking a longer rest at Hawes. Jasmin and Eugeni took very short rests and pushed on, about 5 miles on from Hawes, Jasmin is maintaining a lead of a little over half a mile. Jayson Cavill has retired, so it looks like it is probably between those three.

Welsh Kate 14 Jan 2019

Saw a short interview with Jasmin at Hawes and she said she wanted to get to Middleton before sleeping if she could, or catch some zzzs at Tan Hill if she needed.

BALD EAGLE 14 Jan 2019
In reply to jayme:

> I will be running part of the Pennine way today along Hadrian's Wall and plan to compare my pace to the leaders when they come through in a few days.

> If I extrapolate against their time would I win the Spine?

Of course you would! In your dreams...

BALD EAGLE 14 Jan 2019

> Getting interesting, looks like Eoin is taking a longer rest at Hawes. Jasmin and Eugeni took very short rests and pushed on, about 5 miles on from Hawes, Jasmin is maintaining a lead of a little over half a mile. Jayson Cavill has retired, so it looks like it is probably between those three.

After short rests it looks like Jasmin and Eugeni are maintaining a healthy lead over Eoin as they are thundering down Great Shunner Fell towards Thwaite ! Never has my gob been so thoroughly smacked as by Jasmin's performance so far! Cheers Dave

Lusk 14 Jan 2019
In reply to gazonk:

Two runners will be getting a well earned drink very shortly! edit: Arrived!

What are the rules?
Is it first over the line at Kirk Yetholm and they rest up wherever and how long at their choice along the route?

Post edited at 17:17
 Michael Hood 14 Jan 2019
In reply to Iain Thow:

Congratulations to Wonrek and all the other UKC completers.

The two leaders haven't gone for a knap at Tan Hill. Onto Middleton. Rather an impressively long way from Edale before having a bit of shuteye!!!

Post edited at 17:32
 shuffle 14 Jan 2019
In reply to Lusk:

yes, it is a non-stop race so competitors can sleep as much as they choose (either at checkpoints or a bivvy) but the clock doesn't stop. First over the line wins. 

Michael Hood 14 Jan 2019
In reply to Lusk:

Getting over the line in KY within the 168 hour cutoff is impressive enough (average 40 miles/day for a week in winter regardless of the conditions).

Winning is a whole order of magnitude more impressive. Winning times seem to be around the 100 hour mark, so just over 4 days, i.e. 65-70 miles/day.

Mind you, the summer version of the race was won in 78 hours!

Lusk 14 Jan 2019
In reply to shuffle:

Thanks.  Only caught the last day and half last year, so wasn't sure.
They are all completely mad though!

Lusk 14 Jan 2019

> Mind you, the summer version of the race was won in 78 hours!

Fell runners are a different species

Michael Hood 14 Jan 2019
In reply to Lusk:

Can't remember if it was 16 or 17, one guy got to the end, then (I think after a rest) walked back along the PW to Edale for charity.

Complete loon

mountainbagger 14 Jan 2019

> Can't remember if it was 16 or 17, one guy got to the end, then (I think after a rest) walked back along the PW to Edale for charity.

> Complete loon

Yes, 2016, Javed Bhatti

https://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/2016/01/24/runner-javed-bhatti-arrives-at...

Agree with your conclusion!

Lusk 14 Jan 2019

Nutters, case closed!

goose299 14 Jan 2019

It was ‘16. Javed Bhatti. Ridiculous 

Edit: Too slow, mystery already solved 

Post edited at 21:20
 Iain Thow 14 Jan 2019

Actually he's a lovely bloke. He did it to raise money for a hospice that my mum used to work at.

sg 14 Jan 2019
In reply to Iain Thow:

Anyone have any splits for previous winners? The pace at the front does seem to be something else. I know Jim Mann was fast until he stopped last year but getting to Middleton so quickly does seem to be pretty impressive by any standards. They must be looking forward to a wee rest there, surely?!

Welsh Kate 14 Jan 2019
In reply to sg:

That's one of the things I find extraordinary - Jasmin and Eugeni have run 150 miles since yesterday morning - and only stopped for less than 60 minutes total. Bananas!

jayme 15 Jan 2019
In reply to sg:

The leaders reached CP3 around 2am last year and before midnight this year.

Last year they had a kip at Tan Hill and this year they went straight through.

thommi 15 Jan 2019
In reply to jayme:

Jasmin and eugeni are just coming over and along high cup nick. What a cracking way to start (finish?) the day! Anyone know what the weather is like there at the moment?

The New NickB 15 Jan 2019
In reply to thommi:

Cross Fell forecast is windy with showers. Looks like the weather might be worse (wetter, colder) for the bulk of the field 24 hours or more behind.

Welsh Kate 15 Jan 2019
In reply to thommi:

They've just run straight through Dufton checkpoint and are about to start climbing back up towards the high fells.

BusyLizzie 15 Jan 2019
In reply to gazonk:

She's just back in the lead. This is nail-biting stuff.

DinoF 15 Jan 2019
In reply to Iain Thow:

I don't want to hijack the thread as we're all busy following the brilliant proper Spine now, but thanks to everyone for the best wishes on my baby Spine race. Hope I gave you some fun watching.

BALD EAGLE 15 Jan 2019
In reply to gazonk:

Jasmin and Eugeni look like they are powering their way up to the high fells and should be on Knock Old Man very soon the rate those dots are moving! An amazing effort from both but...COME ON JASMIN!

Welsh Kate 15 Jan 2019
In reply to DinoF:

I don't think anyone, least of all us dot watchers, would regard the Challenger as not being brilliant and proper in its own right. Many congratulations, an amazing achievement! Hope you can now put your feet up and join us elite dot watchers in comfort  

Michael Hood 15 Jan 2019
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

If they carry on like this and the weather doesn't go bad, and they don't get injured, then they're going to smash the existing record.

BALD EAGLE 15 Jan 2019
In reply to DinoF:

> I don't want to hijack the thread as we're all busy following the brilliant proper Spine now, but thanks to everyone for the best wishes on my baby Spine race. Hope I gave you some fun watching.

Maa-hoosive congrats DinoF on a fine achievement so luxuriate in your well earned rest and enjoy the rest of the race from the comfort of a comfy chair! Cheers Dave

BALD EAGLE 15 Jan 2019

> If they carry on like this and the weather doesn't go bad, and they don't get injured, then they're going to smash the existing record.

Certainly a possibility <crosses fingers> as they both approach the summit of Cross Fell but a looong way to go yet and it looks like grumpy weather is on its way tomorrow, which could make the Cheviots hard going! According to the mileage counter those super-human aliens Eugeni and Jasmin have covered around 182 miles in 51 hours so (weather + injury permitting) could they be looking at arriving in Kirk Yetholm sometime between 8am to 12 noon tomorrow? By the way did I say GO JASMIN GO!

Harry Jarvis 15 Jan 2019

> If they carry on like this and the weather doesn't go bad, and they don't get injured, then they're going to smash the existing record.

I am a newcomer to 'watching' this event, and what an astonishing event it is. All entrants are to be commended to the highest levels for their efforts. 

I ask this with a degree of trepidation, for fear of appearing to downplay achievements (which is certainly not the aim), but to what extent is the 'course record' a meaningful measure? With the wildly varying conditions from year to year, it seems to me that to make comparisons is not quite meaningless, but if anything, might appear to be downplaying the efforts of those who compete in the worst conditions compared with those who compete in better conditions. Or, to put it another way, completing the event in 100 hours (for example) in 'good' weather is a different achievement to completing in 100 hours in 'bad' weather. 

Another question if I may, again based on my lack of knowledge of the event. Is it normal for the leaders to be so far ahead of the rest of the field? Jasmin Paris is over 40 miles ahead of the next best woman, and Eugeni Sole is 13 miles ahead of the next best man, who is himself 16 miles ahead of the third placed man. These are truly remarkable performances. 

Michael Hood 15 Jan 2019
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

I reckon they'll need another bit of sleep sometime tonight, my estimate would be somewhere between 8 & 12 pm tomorrow evening for KY.

BusyLizzie 15 Jan 2019
In reply to DinoF:

Huge congratulations to you, we are in awe.

Michael Hood 15 Jan 2019
In reply to Harry Jarvis:

You're quite right about the times being completely conditions dependent. I suspect I'm not alone in getting more vicarious pleasure from watching the even more stupendous performances when the weather goes pear shaped.

But that's not to belittle what's going on even in relatively benign weather. As I said above, it's all very impressive.

As for gaps between athletes, that's quite common. The best in these events are world class athletes.

Edit: also the gaps are sometimes deceptive due to different (lack of) sleep strategies. And there have always been less female entrants, so larger gaps for them.

Post edited at 11:55
 Simon Caldwell 15 Jan 2019
In reply to Harry Jarvis:

> Is it normal for the leaders to be so far ahead of the rest of the field?

It's certainly not uncommon. It's also not uncommon for the leaders at this stage to drop out later.

I was in the summit of Scafell Pike in running gear on Saturday afternoon, with conditions similar to what some of the Challengers experienced in the Dales. It didn’t feel very benign. However, the bogs in the Pennines are fairly dry this year and there isn’t any snow, it’s also pretty mild.

They could get quite close to the Summer record, which is pretty mind blowing, because it certainly isn’t Summer.

BALD EAGLE 15 Jan 2019

> I reckon they'll need another bit of sleep sometime tonight, my estimate would be somewhere between 8 & 12 pm tomorrow evening for KY.

Yes I forgot and a fair point about the likelihood of another power-nap sometime tonight. I think the only sleep the 2 leaders had was after around 40 hours or so on the run at Middleton last night! Surely one or both are not going to push on to the end without another sleep are they? Surely...

Post edited at 12:14
 Simon Caldwell 15 Jan 2019

I was busy getting timed out of the Trigger (Marsden to Edale) on Sunday and passed the leaders coming the other way. The winds were coming from the WNW and at times were strong enough to prevent movement even downhill, several Trigger runners were blown off their feet. The Spiners were mostly heading straight into the wind...

Michael Hood 15 Jan 2019

I did say "relatively benign"

The summer record at 78 hours is pretty amazing as well, being as it's not paced or supported in the way that a record PW attempt would be.

Tom Briggs 15 Jan 2019

At the risk of sounding like a bit of a tit (!), I am finding some of the coverage.. er somewhat hyped in respect of the conditions #britainsmostbrutal etc. Sure, Sunday was epic in terms of the wind but the temps have not been that low. They were ploughing through snow last year!

Michael Hood 15 Jan 2019
In reply to Tom Briggs:

Global warming init

Easier conditions should hopefully lead to faster times for the elite.

Not sure that it'll make so much difference to the times of the plodders (there's a misnomer if ever there was one) but it might ensure a higher proportion of finishers.

BALD EAGLE 15 Jan 2019
In reply to gazonk:

Both Eugeni and Jasmin have recently arrived at Alston CP and are tucking into a well deserved lasagne! Just seen Jasmin being interviewed on Facebook and she is hoping to get to Bellingham before having another sleep and then maybe trying to get to the finish in one push! GO JASMIN GO!

In reply to BALD EAGLE:

I’ve been wondering about tactics as we get nearer the finish. Eugeni left Middleton a good ten minutes before Jasmin and had a lead of more than a mile at one point. Will one of them try and push on with less sleep than the other. Or will we have a sprint finish.

BALD EAGLE 15 Jan 2019

> I’ve been wondering about tactics as we get nearer the finish. Eugeni left Middleton a good ten minutes before Jasmin and had a lead of more than a mile at one point. Will one of them try and push on with less sleep than the other. Or will we have a sprint finish.

Who knows maybe Eugeni will rugby tackle Jasmin as they approach the Border Hotel? Or Jasmin will trip Eugeni up with her trekking poles before deftly skipping past to glory?! However what I do know is it is all super-exciting and with a mere 74 miles to go, I'm on my chin strap with all this vicarious ultra runner dot watching... Cheers Dave

Edit Update: Jasmin has left Alston whilst Eugeni is planning on having a kip for 45 minutes allowing Jasmin to open up a lead! The plot thickens...

Post edited at 14:55
Lusk 15 Jan 2019
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

> Both Eugeni and Jasmin have recently arrived at Alston CP and are tucking into a well deserved lasagne!

!!!!!!

Looking at her times, since setting off at 8am Sunday, she's only had 5h 16m rest so far!
Wonder how much was sleep?  Crazy dudes!

Michael Hood 15 Jan 2019

It's difficult sometimes to see exactly what the lead is because their trackers don't update at the same time.

So even when they're running together it looks like the lead is fluctuating.

Also, from the video they clearly came into Alston together, but Jasmin's time is 13:59 and Eugeni's 13:57.

Also Jasmin says that she's a bit tired!!!

Post edited at 15:16
 goose299 15 Jan 2019
In reply to gazonk:

Jasmin’s opened up a 4.5 mile lead. 

How is she not dead on her feet? 

Welsh Kate 15 Jan 2019
In reply to goose299:

All that practice with sleepless nights after having a baby?

There's a thread about insomnia on here somewhere - when I was a bit younger than Jasmin I could go for several days with virtually no sleep, and have slightly duller mental periods, but most of the time be fine mentally. For me, it's the physical endurance that astounds me, but maybe that's just practice and innate physical toughness?

Welsh Kate 15 Jan 2019

Eugeni's on the trail again. Jasmin's build up a big gap, but will she need to rest? Will Eugeni catch her?

I can see an exciting evening of dot-watching ahead!

Michael Hood 15 Jan 2019
In reply to Welsh Kate:

I reckon Jasmin will be getting to Bellingham at about midnight. Few hours kip then about 12 hours to the finish if she maintains the pace. Just before 8pm finish (slightly earlier than my previous estimate) would mean sub 3.5 days which would be absolutely phenomenal.

When Eugeni left Alston the gap was 6.5 miles (approx 1.5 hours). Will be interesting to see how that changes as they head north.

I wonder how much they were pushing eachother when running together. Will running together make them faster (take brakes off? !!!) or slower.

He appears to be catching, although that could in part be the trackers updating at different times. I also think that he is on easier, faster ground, Jasmin certainly managed to maintain good pace across it.

Iain Thow 15 Jan 2019

Sub 3.5 days would indeed be phenomenal, but they could do it. 200+ miles in 58 hours - wow! I suspect one of the reasons they're both hammering along today is that conditions are good but due to get a lot worse tomorrow. (I've just got back from the N Pennine tops myself and it was quite pleasant, much less windy than the last few days and good visibility).

Here's to a sprint finish with Jasmin winning by a yard.

sg 15 Jan 2019
In reply to Iain Thow:

The pace so far is staggering. Far be it from me, but I struggle to believe they can make Bellingham by midnight though - another 23 miles beyond Greenhead and although the top of Hadrian's Wall is supposed to be fair going the section north isn't much, is it?

I wonder if the next 6-8 hours will be decisive, even if the conditions stay relatively benign. Their gap has certainly closed a bit and more checkpoint tactics coming up. Intriguing and inspiring stuff, for sure.

Clauso 15 Jan 2019
In reply to sg:

The Hadrian's Wall section has a fair bit of up and down to it. North of that, they will probably meet some fairly boggy sections through the forest, and across farmland, before facing a final climb up on to the aptly named Shitlington Crags just before Bellingham.

sg 15 Jan 2019
In reply to Clauso:

Right, understood; doesn't sound great. I meant 'not much fun' for the section north in my previous msg - and your description suggests that. I'm no expert in dot-watching but it does look like Jasmin has literally gone straight on from Greenhead. Isn't there a checkpoint there? Amazing.

shuffle 15 Jan 2019
In reply to sg:

there's no checkpoint at Greenhead, the next one for the front runners will be at Bellingham. There are various additional locations that the race safety team will be monitoring people through, but there are no facilities apart from at the 5 checkpoints (Hebden Bridge, Hawes, Middleton, Alston and Bellingham). 

I've done the Challenger (slowly!) and have worked on the race safety team several times, and I do think one of the things that makes the Spine so tough is the distances between checkpoints - it is 74km from the start to checkpoint one.

sg 15 Jan 2019
In reply to shuffle:

Right understood, thanks. That is properly punishing - you really have to back yourself every time you head out! Bon effort on the challenger.

r0b 15 Jan 2019
In reply to shuffle:

There are a couple of sets of toilets along the Hadrian's Wall section which people have used to sleep in before.

The way both Jasmin and Eugeni are still properly running out of the checkpoints on the videos is astonishing. Hats off to both of them.

Re. the distance between checkpoints (as a fellow slow Challenger!) I think it is Hebden to Hawes which is the really tricky one as that is 62 miles so 1.5 times as long as most of the other legs. If every leg was 40 ish miles then you could get into a regular pattern of sleeping in the night and leaving before dawn. But this long leg thros out this pattern so after Hawes people are generally reaching checkpoints in daylight and having to use up daylight hours sleeping.

Iain Thow 15 Jan 2019
In reply to all:

On a more trivial note, does anybody else miss the little Zzzz's that came out of the dots when the runners were asleep? (or am I just an overgrown kid?) 

Clauso 15 Jan 2019
In reply to Iain Thow:

My dots still issue the Zzzzzzs... It's just that the leaders don't seem to be interested in getting too many of them. 

Ian W 15 Jan 2019
In reply to Iain Thow:

> (or am I just an overgrown kid?) 

I'm surprised you even have to ask....... 

Iain Thow 15 Jan 2019
In reply to Clauso:

They certainly don't. My dots have a little bed symbol, which isn't as much fun. Maybe it's my cheapy Chinese tablet.

Iain Thow 15 Jan 2019
In reply to Ian W:

OK, guilty.

Clauso 15 Jan 2019
In reply to Iain Thow:

My mistake. I've been watching a replay of 2018, and wondering why nobody had mentioned Pavel Paloncy yet. 

Iain Thow 15 Jan 2019
In reply to r0b:

Talking of checkpoints, congrats to Alzbeta Benn and Lisa Wright, who made the Hawes cut off with minutes to spare. Must be really dispiriting to be the back marker so credit to them.

Post edited at 21:04
 Andrew Lodge 15 Jan 2019
In reply to gazonk:

At the other end of the race what are the cut off times?

r0b 15 Jan 2019
In reply to Iain Thow:

My friend was in that position in 2016 and was eventually timed out when they brought the cut off forward at Byrness because of snow on the Cheviots. He went back and finished in 2017 and 2018 though!

They did at least have time to get some sleep in Hawes.

r0b 15 Jan 2019
In reply to Andrew Lodge:

7. MONTANE® Spine® Race athletes must depart CP2 within 60hrs or will be withdrawn.
8. MONTANE® Spine® Race athletes must depart CP3 within 84hrs or will be withdrawn.
9. MONTANE® Spine® Race athletes must depart CP4 within 110hrs or will be withdrawn.
10. MONTANE® Spine® Race athletes must depart CP5 within 136hrs or will be withdrawn.
11. MONTANE® Spine® Race athletes must depart our Monitoring Location at Byrness within 148hrs or will be withdrawn.

thommi 15 Jan 2019
In reply to gazonk:

So excited for Jasmin, really hope she keeps up the pace! Just can't get my head around her splits and rest times, simply phenomenal!

Clauso 16 Jan 2019
In reply to thommi:

> ... Just can't get my head around her splits and rest times, simply phenomenal!

She's incredible. Totally dishing out the pain, at the head of the race.

... I must confess that I haven't seen her splits but, if she's finding the time for gymnastics, on top of racing and breastfeeding, then my admiration really knows no bounds!

jayme 16 Jan 2019
In reply to Iain Thow:

The Zzzz show that the tracker is transmitting a signal but not moving.

jayme 16 Jan 2019
In reply to shuffle:

There are three intermediate check points for course monitoring where the runners can stay for a maximum of thirty mins. They are CP1.5 at Malham, CP3.5 at Dufton and CP5.5 at Byrness.

Michael Hood 16 Jan 2019
In reply to Clauso:

She managed to stop in Bellingham for all of 1hr 27min !!!

Unbelievable.

BALD EAGLE 16 Jan 2019

> She managed to stop in Bellingham for all of 1hr 27min !!!

> Unbelievable.

Amazing super-human jedi warrior! Go Jasmin Go!

Michael Hood 16 Jan 2019
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

Eugeni is probably mumbling something about her being the devil incarnate

Post edited at 07:31
 mountainbagger 16 Jan 2019

In an interview just after finishing first woman and sixth overall in the Challenger, Carol Morgan (current women's record holder for the full Spine Race from 2017 in 109:54:00 and first woman in 2018) said something along the lines of I'm not special, but you're going to see something special in the Spine Race with Jasmin Paris.

She wasn't wrong.

(Though I still think Carol and all the other competitors are amazing).

goose299 16 Jan 2019
In reply to gazonk:

Only 27 miles to go. At this rate, she may even fInish in daylight. 

Iain Thow 16 Jan 2019

Yes, I was impressed by that too. "I'm really quite ordinary, but today you're going to meet Jasmin, and she's exceptional". Absolutely right, she's the ultra running equivalent of Lynn Hill (or Federer, or Tiger Woods).

And you're right Carol Morgan isn't "ordinary" either.

Iain Thow 16 Jan 2019
In reply to goose299:

Looking like DinoF's prediction at the top of the thread of her breaking the course record is going to come true. 9.5 hrs for the Cheviot Crossing is well within her abilities (if it wasn't preceded by the previous 250-odd miles I suspect most people on UKC could manage that, actually).

Anyone know the last time one of the big ultra runs had a female winner? Helene Diamantides and the Dragon's Back?

Tom Briggs 16 Jan 2019
In reply to Iain Thow:

> Anyone know the last time one of the big ultra runs had a female winner? Helene Diamantides and the Dragon's Back?

Courtney Dauwalter Moab 240 (2017).

Anyone else think Eugeni is settling for second? A long rest at Bellingham and slower to get there than Jasmin was.

goose299 16 Jan 2019
In reply to Tom Briggs:

He knows he’s no real hope of catching her.

Still a commendable effort and he’s got 20 miles on 3rd place so no worry there. 

Iain Thow 16 Jan 2019
In reply to Tom Briggs:

Cheers Tom, just curious. As for Eugeni, don't think he has much choice. He isn't going to catch her unless she has a real problem. She's phenomenal.

BALD EAGLE 16 Jan 2019
In reply to Iain Thow:

Jasmin has left Byrness after refuelling on mince and tatties at the splendidly unique Forest View Walkers Inn, still run by Colin and Joyce I think? Anyway she is cruising up the lower slopes of the Cheviots with a healthy 7.5 mile lead over Eugeni in second so c'mon Jasmin! Whisper it very quietly but I think the fast lady is starting to sing... Cheers Dave

Post edited at 10:47
 jayme 16 Jan 2019
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

She was 11hrs 34mins quicker at Byrness than Eoin when he set the race record in 2016, and she will be going over the Cheviots in the light unlike Eoin who covered this in the dark.

Iain Thow 16 Jan 2019
In reply to jayme:

And it looks like the snow is going to hold off till tonight too. Half a day off the record? Some achievement!

r0b 16 Jan 2019
In reply to Iain Thow:

Can she do it in sub three and a half days? Would need to get to KY by 8pm. I think she can.

Iain Thow 16 Jan 2019
In reply to r0b:

She's just coming up to Chew Green, so under 20 miles to go and 8 hours to do it in. Anything like her current pace would easily make it.

Iain Thow 16 Jan 2019
In reply to r0b:

At the other end, that's the same as Lisa Wright and James Cobbold have to do to reach Middleton. Although if they only just made it they'd have to leave straight away. Didn't somebody one year just make a cut off, "depart", then kip in a bus shelter just down the road? Hope they make it.

JamButty 16 Jan 2019
In reply to gazonk:

When it's the first website you visit after you wake up,  ahead of emails,  news and facebook,  then you're clearly hooked on dot watching.

I've followed the race over recent years,  but totally hooked with it this year.

Massive respect to all participants,  but she's a machine - go Jasmin......

Dark-Cloud 16 Jan 2019
In reply to JamButty:

Has the tracking website stopped working or is it just me ?

r0b 16 Jan 2019
In reply to Iain Thow:

Yeah that's what my mate did in 2016, got to Middleton just before the cut off, grabbed some food and kit then back out and slept in the public toilets!

r0b 16 Jan 2019
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Not working for me either

Post edited at 12:20
 Dark-Cloud 16 Jan 2019
In reply to r0b:

I guess they are struggling with demand and it coming up to the end of the race, they need to talk to their hosting provider for more bandwidth, or a better server.....

Post edited at 12:23
 SteveD 16 Jan 2019
In reply to gazonk:

Wow! she appears to be pulling away from Eugeni, amazing performance

Trying to get my head around a foot race where there is 120 odd Miles between first and last place!!

Removed User 16 Jan 2019
In reply to JamButty:

Terrific effort by Jasmin!!! Must be hurting like hell. Finishing in day like looks unlikely.

Iain Thow 16 Jan 2019
In reply to Removed UserDeleted bagger:

Hi Mark.

16 miles to go and 4 hours more daylight, she isn't going to be far off.

andybike 16 Jan 2019
In reply to gazonk:

Amazing Run. Have been glued to screen. Brilliant  performance .

Mick r 16 Jan 2019
In reply to Iain Thow:

she seems to be slowing .  Only done around 10 miles since leaving Byrness at 9.30 am.  no idea of the ground that's she's on though

The New NickB 16 Jan 2019
In reply to Mick r:

Plenty of ascent, she is now on a ridge, with a couple of significant climbs before hut 2, then it is mostly down hill. Based on the pace she has averaged since Byrness, she should get to KY before 7pm.

She is still achieving what would be pretty quick walking pace on that terrain.

Post edited at 13:53
 r0b 16 Jan 2019
In reply to Mick r:

It's either uphill or boggy or both, not quick ground

Iain Thow 16 Jan 2019
In reply to Mick r:

It's good ground, and she's got the bulk of the uphill out of the way, just a few smaller ups left. She should make 7pm with time to spare unless something unforeseen happens.

Edit: just counted the contours and she's done almost exactly half the up between Byrness and KY. Still reckon it's good going underfoot though (walked it a couple of months back).

Post edited at 14:10
 r0b 16 Jan 2019
In reply to Iain Thow:

Yeah it's good going now, lots of stone slabs and just a bit up and down until the final 200m ascent on Auchope Cairn. The really sloshy bit she has already done, round Chew Green and up to Lamb Hill hut.

And only 14 miles to go now.

Post edited at 14:35
 BALD EAGLE 16 Jan 2019
In reply to r0b:

Jasmin now on top of Windy Gyle with nearly a 10 mile lead over Eugeni with about 10 miles to go! Barring unforeseen circumstances ETA at Kirk Yetholm around 7pm? Anyway Go Jasmin Go!

Post edited at 15:08
 Michael Hood 16 Jan 2019
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

She's still doing just over 3mph over the tops. I suspect she might be doing a bit of jogging on the downhills.

Less than an hour to hut2. Maybe she'll just nip up to the top of the Cheviot for the last of the light

vscott 16 Jan 2019
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

Still flying along... almost got time to nip up Cheviot to enjoy sunset!

Iain Thow 16 Jan 2019

And a quick solo of College Grooves to break the monotony?

Michael Hood 16 Jan 2019
In reply to Iain Thow:

Only needs a slight detour but probably depends on whether she's still got enough spare batteries.

I feel a bit sorry for Eugeni, he's probably going to break the existing record by several hours and yet he's going to be beaten by about 4 hours by a Spine virgin.

Not even sure she's ever done the PW before. An astonishing performance.

Post edited at 16:36
 r0b 16 Jan 2019

Just 8.5 miles from the top of Auchope Cairn to the finish. Go go go!

Iain Thow 16 Jan 2019

Yes, Eugeni's time is likely to be a pretty impressive feat on its own. No shame in being beaten by Jasmin though, she's one of those people who come along in all sports now and again who are off the scale.

vscott 16 Jan 2019
In reply to gazonk:

At this pace the overall (summer) 78h04 record looks maybe on!!!! Wow

steelbru 16 Jan 2019
In reply to vscott:

That's already gone I think, start time was 8am Sunday, so coming up for 80:50 hours at 4:50pm if my maths is correct

goose299 16 Jan 2019
In reply to steelbru:

Yeh, 78 hours would have been 2pm

Tall Clare 16 Jan 2019
In reply to goose299:

I wonder whether she might come back for a crack at the summer record, given how easy she's making this winter version look...

In reply to vscott:

I thought the overall PW summer record was 65-hours-odd?

goose299 16 Jan 2019
In reply to Tall Clare:

She's certainly got it in her to have the summer record too

vscott 16 Jan 2019
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

ah - different to summer spine record. 

In reply to vscott:

I see. But it's the same route isn't it? 

Iain Thow 16 Jan 2019
In reply to all:

Looks like she's spurning a cup of tea at the hut. 7 miles to go, downhill except for 500 ft up The Schil and that really annoying final rise over to KY.

Iain Thow 16 Jan 2019

Might be wrong but I'm under the impression that the difference is in the amount of support you can have (Pacers, refueling stops etc)

Michael Hood 16 Jan 2019
In reply to Iain Thow:

Pretty sure that PW record only requires your body to get from one end to the other along the route under your own locomotive feet.

The support you get is up to you. So pacing along the whole route, no sac to carry, others to route find, etc.

In reply to Iain Thow:

got it, thanks

Simon Caldwell 16 Jan 2019
In reply to Iain Thow:

I suspect it's the same, the only difference being that Mike Hartley's record was extremely fast!

Iain Thow 16 Jan 2019

Yep, that's what I thought too.

Iain Thow 16 Jan 2019
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

Just had a look. Mike Hartley had pacers for parts of it and his wife met him at the road crossings (and ran some of it) but he did quite a lot of it solo. So more supported than the Spiners but not by much. Presumably he was carrying less kit.

Actually, running the whole thing in any time is impressive in my book

kathrync 16 Jan 2019
In reply to gazonk:

I am staying at work late because if I leave now I'll miss Jasmin coming in.  Sat in front of my computer with biscuits and tea watching that dot...  Not such a nail biter as last year because the weather has been kinder, but wow, WHAT a performance (and of course from Eugeni too).

rob sykes 16 Jan 2019
In reply to gazonk:

I’d be interested to know how anyone would go about training for such an event?  I can understand how one can train for a 10k, half marathon etc but a 260 plus mile?????

Any previous runners out there who could share their experiences?

Michael Hood 16 Jan 2019
In reply to Iain Thow:

I think she's speeded up a bit on the downhill run in.

Definitely jogging down the road.

Post edited at 19:00
 Welsh Kate 16 Jan 2019
In reply to kathrync:

She's on the road now - I'll be able to go and start making dinner shortly!

Iain Thow 16 Jan 2019
In reply to Welsh Kate:

Yes, I've been dithering on that dilemma too. Go Jasmin!

goose299 16 Jan 2019
In reply to Iain Thow:

A mile to go. What a hero

Iain Thow 16 Jan 2019

She isn't going to make 7pm but should still knock 12 hrs off the record (7.15ish should do it)

mbh 16 Jan 2019
In reply to gazonk:

Ik to go, all down hill, on road!

mountainbagger 16 Jan 2019
In reply to Iain Thow:

> Yes, I've been dithering on that dilemma too. Go Jasmin!

I'm supposed to be putting my kids to bed, but instead I'm hiding in the kitchen staring at my phone.

JamButty 16 Jan 2019
In reply to Iain Thow:

> She isn't going to make 7pm but should still knock 12 hrs off the record (7.15ish should do it)

Perhaps she's stopped to listen to the vote!!

thommi 16 Jan 2019

Just.... Yay!!!!

Iain Thow 16 Jan 2019
In reply to thommi:

Whoo hoo! Well done Jasmin, what an amazing run!

Michael Hood 16 Jan 2019
In reply to Iain Thow:

Looks like she's just had a quick jog down the street !!!

BALD EAGLE 16 Jan 2019
In reply to Iain Thow:

Wow wow wow! #thisgirldid

Tall Clare 16 Jan 2019

Just amazing!

Calvi 16 Jan 2019

Fabulous

goose299 16 Jan 2019

Superb. 

Phil Murray 16 Jan 2019

Phenomenal!!!

Ridge 16 Jan 2019

Utterly brilliant, and lovely reunion at the finish!

In reply to gazonk:

Words struggle to describe that.  Exceptional 

Iain Thow 16 Jan 2019
In reply to all:

At the other end it looks like James Cobbold isn't going to make the cut off, but Lisa Wright is still in with a chance (just). 

goose299 16 Jan 2019

She’s been expressing breast milk at stops. Makes her even more badass

Iain Thow 16 Jan 2019
In reply to goose299:

There always seems to be a complaint that there aren't enough female role models in top end sport - well they don't come much more inspiring than Jasmin!

Ian W 16 Jan 2019
In reply to gazonk:

To put it slightly differently - 268 miles, 10,000+m of ascent - she's done 3 mountain marathons per day, and extra one in half a day, and climbed 115% of the height of everest........and all 12.5% faster than anyone else ever has, except the bloke she beat into second place.......

It isnt even worth trying to describe that achievement.

Andy Hardy 16 Jan 2019
In reply to goose299:

Gold top I expect!

(Younger readers may need to use Google)

edit: this deserves to be front page news tomorrow, fantastic achievement!

Post edited at 20:34
 Tim Sparrow 16 Jan 2019
In reply to gazonk:

I burned the dinner as I was too involved watching her come in. Words fail me, what an achievement and still smiling. 

Did the chicken keep up?

BusyLizzie 16 Jan 2019
In reply to gazonk:

A truly mind-bogglingly awesome achievement. And expressing breastmilk so actually expressing some/many of the whopping amount of calories needed for her run. And clearly a lovely person too.

Simon Caldwell 16 Jan 2019
In reply to Ian W:

> To put it slightly differently - 268 miles, 10,000+m of ascent

13,255 apparently.

https://www.montane.co.uk/montane-spine-race-i56

Ian W 16 Jan 2019

Simon, its already approaching unbelievable. I must admit I thought it was nearer 11k m, but at 13k its unreal.

Michael Hood 16 Jan 2019
In reply to Ian W:

Unlike some of our sporting superstars who seem to whinge all the time, she seems to look like she's wondering what the fuss is all about.

The whole way through she's just looked like she's gone "bye darling, just popping out for a little run". Phenomenal.

mountainbagger 17 Jan 2019

Eugeni has pulled out 6K from the finish. Wow, poor guy. Apparently he is ok and sleeping now. Hard to imagine how bad he must have felt.

JamButty 17 Jan 2019
In reply to gazonk:

Just picked up Eugeni's had to drop out 6km from the finish,  must be devastating for him at such a late stage.  He helped make it an amazing race to follow

Don't know why,  but I suppose it shows the extreme limits these guys n gals go to.

kathrync 17 Jan 2019

Wow wow wow for Jasmin!

Absolutely heartbroken for Eugeni. Heroic effort from him!

Michael Hood 17 Jan 2019

That's like failing to finish an Olympic marathon after entering the stadium!

Or failing on Cenotaph Corner after having done the crux move.

Absolutely devastating.

Presumably he was doing something similar to Johny (?) Brownlee's finishing wobble but didn't have a brother about to help and on unsafe terrain.

I saw he was resting a long time at hut2, must have been totally on empty.

The Spine race and it's participants are just totally epic.

In reply to kathrync:

Well done to Eoin, who looks like he should be finishing in the next hour or so giving him the 2nd and 3rd fastest times on the course.

Michael Hood 17 Jan 2019

Just had a good look at Eugeni's time track, after spending over 3 hours at hut2 he carries on but looks like he totally lost it after going over the Schil. Presumably that final up was the final straw.

The time track tells me the following story...

He spends nearly an hour and a half on the col after the Schil. I'm sure the safety team would have been with him there (guessing they were keeping an eye on him all the way from hut2 to see whether he could make it) and they then help him down to the farm at Burnhead (reasonable timings) before he gets driven into KY.

Unbelievably tragic

If he manages to come back next year then my already huge estimation of the man will just go through the roof.

Very brave and strong, but he must have been in a bad way if your analysis is correct (can't see where you are getting that detail from).

Only easy to say with hindsight (and in my case, from an armchair) but it makes Eoin's decision to not try and keep up with Jasmin after Hawes look like a good one.

Post edited at 11:00
 Michael Hood 17 Jan 2019
In reply to mountain.martin:

If you click on a person it brings up a window with their checkpoint timings but on the map it shows their time/position about every 10/11 minutes.

Don't think it works on a phone unless you can somehow bring the map infront of the timings window.

Ok on PC though.

Ah, I see, thanks.

Welsh Kate 17 Jan 2019

Yep, those dots at the col are quite revealing, must have been a hell of a night for him. Glad he had the safety team to see him through.

Simon Caldwell 17 Jan 2019

> guessing they were keeping an eye on him all the way from hut2 to see whether he could make it

The tracker has an "SOS" button, so he could have used that, which would have notified base, who would have radioed the hut?

Michael Hood 17 Jan 2019

Maybe he pressed the SOS at that point (the col) and just waited for the safety team but I think a competitive person would have to feel completely desperate to do that. 

I'm presuming they have somebody at the hut since it's a timing point. So they would have seen what kind of state he was in.

They could then maybe have radioed safety team to have people coming up from KY just in case.

It's the kind of scenario you can imagine them including in their risk assessment. It's not the first time people have got into difficulty after hut2.

Very close to the end and mostly downhill, you'd think it's all over. But (as Eugeni has shown) people can be running on empty with no reserve by that point.

Post edited at 13:05
 Welsh Kate 17 Jan 2019

Hut 2 has certainly been manned in the past - a mate of mine from Buxton MRT has been on the manning team there in previous Spines but I don't think he's up there this year. I'm assuming it'll still be manned though.

Welsh Kate 17 Jan 2019
 BusyLizzie 19 Jan 2019
In reply to gazonk:

I see there are quite a few runners still out there. Such an endurance to keep going!! When is the final cut-off?

Iain Thow 19 Jan 2019
In reply to BusyLizzie:

They have to reach KY by 8am tomorrow. They also had to leave Byrness by midday today, but Satoshi Funakoshi has been given an extra 1.5 hrs for stopping to help a fellow competitor. Good on him, and good on the organisers for recognising it.

Iain Thow 19 Jan 2019
In reply to Iain Thow:

Yayy! Satoshi has made the cut off at Byrness and been given another half an hour credit, so he does at least get 45 minutes to eat/rest etc. Go Satoshi.

mbh 19 Jan 2019
In reply to Iain Thow:

So now he's got about 20 miles to go and 15 hours to do it, but overnight, and in the state he's in. Hope he makes it.

Iain Thow 19 Jan 2019
In reply to mbh:

Me too, he really deserves it.

mbh 19 Jan 2019
In reply to Iain Thow:

And let's hope Emiko makes it too. The last woman still standing. She's got 14 miles to go.

The New NickB 19 Jan 2019
In reply to mbh:

I know the guy just behind her, 2nd to last man (147 Colin Green). Runs for the same club as Howard Dracup who was third in the Challenger. I’ve run with him a few times, 3:04 marathon runner. Shows just what a different game this is to most other running.

Michael Hood 19 Jan 2019
In reply to mbh:

He's going real slow, the last bit of film showed him dragging his left foot. I don't think he's going to make it by 8 tomorrow

And Emiko has been at hut 1 for ages. Doesn't look good. So near and yet...

Clauso 19 Jan 2019

Fingers and toes crossed for the pair of them... 

r0b 19 Jan 2019

Emiko has been forced to retire unfortunately.

Welsh Kate 19 Jan 2019
In reply to r0b:

thanks for the update r0b, I did wonder if she'd had to press her help button. Do you know if a team is going up to collect her?

I guess Satoshi will be at Hut 1 in the next half hour.

Welsh Kate 20 Jan 2019
In reply to r0b:

Both retired now at Hut 1. Hope they're both OK. 

mbh 20 Jan 2019
In reply to Welsh Kate:

Good effort the pair of them anyway. They must be shattered.

Iain Thow 20 Jan 2019
In reply to mbh:

Glad they're both ok. Brilliant achievement anyway, and Satoshi is a true star for effectively giving up his own chances to help someone else. Huge congrats to all who finished, and thanks to everyone who helped put on such a magic event. Ace stuff (again!).

Iain Thow 20 Jan 2019

Yay for the lanterne rouge making it with 45 mins to spare. He must have really dug deep to keep going last night, good on him. Chapeau!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...