Am i the only one sick of garish runwear

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
InstinctualRunner 14 Feb 2018

Does anyone know of anywhere that sells proper clothes you can use for running? I keep seeing horrible neon colours and sweat wicking plastics shite.

I want some practical stuf that i can just wear every day and be ready to run at a moment's notice

Any suggestions??

Wainers44 14 Feb 2018
In reply to InstinctualRunner:

Fig leaf and bin bag?

bouldery bits 14 Feb 2018

Ronhills.
 mbh 14 Feb 2018

Merino wool stuff? I wear T-shirts in this all the time and am considering running in them too.

Ciro 14 Feb 2018

Try wearing bright colours for everyday life - it's uplifting  

wbo 14 Feb 2018
In reply to InstinctualRunner:sounds like Ron hills aren't for you, and most Ron Hill stuff is pretty poor anyway.

I've knocked out a lot of miles over the last 25 years and good wicking materials make my life better.  I'm not big into fancy patterns either but lots seem to like it, And if it's a choice between fluorescent clothes and getting whacked by a car, easy choice

to mbh - I like merino but it's not good when there's a lot of sweat.  My personal favorites are Patagonia daily capilene . The only synthetic that doesn't look synthetic, in some colours

Post edited at 22:22
 The New NickB 14 Feb 2018

So you want cotton or wool, cotton isn’t great, merino from people like ashmei is great if you have the money and don’t ‘run hot’. Personally, I’ll wear the plastic wicking shit, usually in black or white. 

Moley 14 Feb 2018

Original Ron hills and merino top through the winter, add extra layers as required and wash very occasionally. Brought my merino supply back from NZ some years ago, so jump on a plane.......

I was looking at daysacks today and feel your pain, all fancy stuff and  much ££s, are they having a laugh? 

mbh 14 Feb 2018
In reply to wbo:

Thanks. I haven't yet worn merino stuff for running because I thought it might be hot and I don't like that. I began to think of doing so because I heard recently that synthetic gear is contributing to the worldwide plastics pollution problem, with fibres coming off each time we do a wash. 

Anyone know if there is anything in this?

Running apart, I just love my merino shirts. I have worn little else for the last five years.

mbh 14 Feb 2018

On the garish thing, I think one's eyes and mind change with time. I remember asking a guy in a running shop once why all the off-road shoes on display were in hideous colours. Can't remember what he said, but I bought the orange ones anyway. 

Yesterday, without blinking at the colours,  I bought a road pair in radioactive yellow and a sedate off-road pair in brilliant blue. 

LeeWood 15 Feb 2018

Around home here in SW France it is recommended to run in bright colors - in case there is a hunt in progress. There's a known history of hunters shooting each other … so it wouldn't pay to break cover at speed wearing brown and mock antlers

However … I'm with you at heart; I like colors but not fluoro, run in old t-shirts so long as its not frosty, and old dark ronhills. Have you checked out the Running Bear range ? 

LeeWood 15 Feb 2018
In reply to LeeWood:

> Around home here in SW France

note - running on forest trails

thommi 15 Feb 2018

I've recently been running in a present I was bought, a grey ''tri blend' (? I think ?) Inov8 tee. Feels just like cotton, but wicks and behaves like a technical fabric. Might fit the bill for you?

Post edited at 07:30
 wbo 15 Feb 2018
In reply to InstinctualRunner: your profile is quite interesting - do you think there's a market for something less lary? How much stuff do you see sold that's absolute trash.

I've seen a lot of running kit through the years, and there's some really good stuff made, but my god a lot of rubbish.  I've got some Nike stuff that's laster 10 years plus - shorts, tights, miler long sleeve t shirts.  Adidas make some good stuff too, and Salomon shorts and tights.  Some companies though should hang their heads in shame - shapeless tat that won't survive a few weeks 

Jon Greengrass 15 Feb 2018

black is cool, see you in the morgue.

abcdef 15 Feb 2018

I agree there is a load of absolute flouro stinkers in the shops, but I have also seen a fair amount of quite muted, solid colour stuff. Nike springs to mind - possibly because they are trying to appeal to a different bunch, where fitness gear is supposedly fashionable.

galpinos 15 Feb 2018

> Does anyone know of anywhere that sells proper clothes you can use for running? I keep seeing horrible neon colours and sweat wicking plastics shite.

Pick stuff from the Athleisure range or from upmarket brands like Lululemon?

> I want some practical stuf that i can just wear every day and be ready to run at a moment's notice

I love the idea of being "ready to run at a moments notice".

> Any suggestions??

Try decathlon, I get my running stuff from there.  Its cheap and does the job.  Not as fitted as the e

expensive stuff so flaps in the wind a bit more but works fine for me.

Dark-Cloud 15 Feb 2018
In reply to wbo:

> .... and most Ron Hill stuff is pretty poor anyway.

Really ?

I haven't got a lot of it but the bits i have i find it pretty good quality for the price vs other brands.

I use Craft base layers now, often on offer here and there and they are pretty good with a more cotton feeling but obviously synthetic.

As for folk suggesting Merino, i find it fine for standing around in but anything remotely active and it just turns into a soggy, wet, cold mess, great for socks though.

Dark-Cloud 15 Feb 2018
In reply to LeeWood:

> Around home here in SW France it is recommended to run in bright colors - in case there is a hunt in progress. There's a known history of hunters shooting each other … so it wouldn't pay to break cover at speed wearing brown and mock antlers

If it's anything like Switzerland its probably because they are all pissed....

RX-78 15 Feb 2018
In reply to Somerset swede basher:

I use a pair of black ron hill leggings thingy and bright decathlon tops. Does for running and indoor climbing/bouldering.

girlymonkey 15 Feb 2018

I like colours. Lots of colours. Bright colours.

I wear colourful (or garish) clothes for general life and active wear. I am unfortunately restricted (by price) to black waterproof trousers, but that is about it.

We have so much amazing technology available to us to make incredible colours, I am very thankful for this  

InstinctualRunner 16 Feb 2018
In reply to Wainers44:

Hah - miimilist running at it's greatest

InstinctualRunner 16 Feb 2018
In reply to galpinos:

I like to 'Just GO" when the feeling takes me.

wbo 16 Feb 2018
In reply to galpinos: I haven't seen any lulu lemon stuff in the flesh - is it any good ?  It's easy to make something look nice straight out the bag - 20 or 30 washes later is  what counts. 

Richlan: I had a friend who got free kit from Ron Hill - it was a bit of a horror. Lots of fluoro , lots of patterns, didn't last long.  

galpinos 17 Feb 2018
In reply to wbo:

My wife rates it. Gets worn at least once a week for running/hockey training. After 12 months still looks good. She’s only got leggings though.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...