Altra trail shoes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 climb41 18 Jul 2018

As per thread title, anyone any experience of these trail shoes, if possible specifically the Altra Timp?

They seem to have a bigger toe box which might be of interest after my blisters in my last big race!

Thank you.

Dark-Cloud 18 Jul 2018
In reply to climb41:

Not used them but they are all zero drop are they not ? That's going take some getting used to if you have been in anything with more than 3mm drop up until now

Where on your foot did you blister ?

OP climb41 18 Jul 2018
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Yes they are, but thought could gradually incorporate them into my training, slowly, slowly. 

I had blisters between my toes. And one big one on inside of left heel. I am sure the major factor was the heat, as I’ve never had them before. 

Andypeak 18 Jul 2018
In reply to climb41:

Not a trail runner but I have used Altra Lone Peak for walking and as approach shoes (really light for descents) and done a little bit of road running in them. Thought they were brilliant, dead light and really comfortable. I love the wide toe box and never really noticed the zero drop. 

If you are anywhere near Nottingham Magic Mountain sell them really cheap. If you are in the BMC or various other organisations they give you an extra 25% off in store. They also sell online but without the discount.  I got my Lone Peaks for £18 (old model and a sample) 

Post edited at 17:15
OP climb41 18 Jul 2018
In reply to Andypeak:

> Not a trail runner but I have used Altra Lone Peak for walking and as approach shoes (really light for descents) and done a little bit of road running in them. Thought they were brilliant, dead light and really comfortable. I love the wide toe box and never really noticed the zero drop. 

> If you are anywhere near Nottingham Magic Mountain sell them really cheap. If you are in the BMC or various other organisations they give you an extra 25% off in store. They also sell online but without the discount.  I got my Lone Peaks for £18 (old model and a sample) 

Thanks for that Andy. Occasionally get to Nottingham so I’ll bear that in mind. 

mbh 18 Jul 2018
In reply to climb41:

Not really, apart from trying them on in a shop. They only had half a size too small for me, otherwise I would have bought them (can't remember which model) since they clearly had the wide toe box that I want. I see people on Strava who run big miles and ascent in them on dryish terrain (Colorado) and seem to swear by them. 

Instead, I bought a pair of Topo TerraVenture which had a very similar feel. 

They have been great, apart from, and this would be my issue with Altras or any pair of shoes that cost over £100, that the uppers have started to shred after doing barely 200 miles on pretty benign terrain. is this normal? (For me, it is - I had the same experience with 3 pairs of Mizuno Wave whatever.). I have bought Shoe Goo to try and stem the decay, but, but, can't the shoe people strengthen the uppers a bit?

shuffle 18 Jul 2018
In reply to climb41:

I've haven't tried the Timps, but I have Superiors and MT King for trail/fell and Escalante for road. I was recommended them by a local running shop because I was looking for something with a wide toe box. I love them and have never had blisters with them, even when running long distances, but would suggest only wearing them for short distances at first till you get used to the drop. 

The sizing seems to be a bit random though so it would be worth trying them on rather than ordering online. My trail shoes are the men's version but the road are women's and they're a different size too.

OP climb41 18 Jul 2018
In reply to mbh:

Thank you, I’ll have a look at the Topo Terraventure.

OP climb41 18 Jul 2018
In reply to shuffle:

Thanks for the info Shuffle.  Will have a look at the other models.

rubertm 31 Jul 2018
In reply to climb41:

Check out La Sportiva Ultra Raptors also. I find them very comfy and grippy.

Guy 31 Jul 2018
In reply to mbh:

My Roclites have holes after 150miles, coming off Great Calva towards Blencathra I think was the main culprit.  Shoe Goo to the rescue......again.  

Dark-Cloud 31 Jul 2018
In reply to Guy:

Sounds about right, my Mrs wrecked a pair in two runs which were replaced under warranty, then the second and third pair lasted a matter of months, probably similar mileage to yours, i know fit is important but it's beyond me why people persevere with buying them.

Post edited at 13:15
 mbh 31 Jul 2018
In reply to Guy:

It's not just off-road shoes. The £100+ Topo Fli-Lytes I've got started getting a long slit along where the upper joins the sole after 150 m, and Shoe-Goo is no good for that. Similar with the last pair of Adrenalines I had. They were £100+ too.

In contrast, a New Balance trail pair and a Salming road pair look fine after 200+ miles  each. £55 total for the two pairs.

Dark-Cloud 31 Jul 2018
In reply to mbh:

It is amazing that shoe designers have yet to realise that at a hinge point on a shoe (the human foot toe joints for example) having a hard edge hitting a soft edge = wear, unless they DO know and leave it as a pair of shoes that lasts 1000 miles vs 150 miles does wonders for the profits, if people keep buying them that is....

ross 31 Jul 2018
In reply to climb41:

I've nothing to offer the op but regarding shoes Scott Kinabalu Supertrac are a revelation for me. I've had a pair 6 months now whereas inov8 do well to last 6 days . The Scotts are well cushioned and look rubbish for UK fell running but actually work pretty well - my running partner wore the same pair for all the big 3, each of which cost me a new pair of inov8. Toe box is nice and roomy. Shame not many places stock them. They do other models which are probably good too, I'm interested to see if any are lower profile .

Cheers Ross 

Scomuir 31 Jul 2018
In reply to ross:

I've got a pair of Scott Kinabalu Supertracs as well.  I really like them, but I am just back in from the garage where they are all strapped and taped up while the glue sets.   Had them less than a year, and are looking a little worse for wear, but a lot of that is down to using them on ground they're not really designed for (e.g. a week on Skye).  I'm on the hunt for another pair though.  

tonanf 31 Jul 2018
In reply to climb41:

i ran for about 5 months in altra lone peak. brilliant for hard or loose trails, ok on road, no good on technical steep sloping ground. uppers wore out quick but i will be another pair.

i hve scott supertrac rc. for technical trails and rock runs, amazing! also superb on mud fields and forests. grip every where, even wet rock. 

RankAmateur 01 Aug 2018
In reply to climb41:

I got the Altra MT Kings at Christmas for off road. The fit is excellent, but quite thin padding, especially compared to my Altra road shoes. I suspect they're good on wet grass, but this year I've only got to use them on one mudfest (knee deep at times) and every other trail run has been on bone dry terrain.
The toebox is the same shape as my foot, which is wonderful. If you have a pointy foot rather than a stubby foot, then it may not be the best brand for you though. Sizing wise, I'd suggest a half size larger than your measured size.

Guy 01 Aug 2018
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

They work well (for a short time) and fit well.  I find the Salomons rub just behind the ball of the foot at the start of the instep.  I need to look elsewhere I think.

Guy 01 Aug 2018
In reply to Scomuir:

The Supertracs sound good but there are comments about the sides under the ankles being higher than most.  Do they come up tall at the ankle?  I had to send some Inov8 X-Claws back because they were too high.  The Altras look interesting but if they fall to bits too then I am back to square one.

Scomuir 01 Aug 2018
In reply to Guy:

Not something i was aware of - they fit me fine.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...