16weeks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tim_broadhurst 31 Mar 2017

Wondering if anyone has any experience of getting fit quickly for fairly strenuous events. Please understand I know this is slightly stupid and injury risk is high but over the last 2-3 years I've done an ironman and the MDS so have a bit of background.

Entered in a 50mile mountain race in 16 weeks. Had planned on being fit but got fed up and quit training for 4 months no cardio. So I've literally only been climbing for 4 months. Now I have to decide whether to pull out but I feel like I'd love to give it a crack. My plan would be to throw the kitchen sink at it - aware of injury and mix it up with swimming pretty much every morning and a load of cycling gradually upping the running and lowering the other two to give a very high training load.

Reckon I can get fit in time? And more importantly can I get my legs robust enough?
Post edited at 23:18
 Nick Harvey 01 Apr 2017
In reply to tim_broadhurst: I hope you can. Take comfort from me having 145 mile run in nine weeks and only really getting training this week.

DaveHK 01 Apr 2017
In reply to tim_broadhurst:
If you've got previous then I'm sure 16 weeks is plenty. I did my Ramsay's Round off a block of about 11 weeks. I'd forget about the swimming and cycling though, not really much point unless it's just the odd easy session for variety / active recovery.
Post edited at 07:47
 SouthernSteve 01 Apr 2017

I would do some running specific strength & conditioning exercises as well as running perhaps three times a week to help with injury prevention, particularly if you know you have a particular area which is a 'weak spot'. Then as long as you aiming to enjoy rather than win go for it. I am 11 weeks in to training with 13 weeks to go for similar event. I feel best when I have had a good consistent week and when work and life in general has not got in the way. I did race a couple of weeks back and although the 't-shirt was nice' it broke up my plan and I wish I hadn't bothered.
 wbo 01 Apr 2017
In reply to tim_broadhurst: i think this is plenty . Id write a training plan on a year Planner and stick to it to avoid overtraining.

I wouldn't bother with much cycling but thats your call

In reply to Nick Harvey:

Wow- even I think that's a little bit crazy
 Nick Harvey 01 Apr 2017
In reply to tim_broadhurst: that seems to be the general consensus.

I failed to finish five years ago, so obviously I'll do better this time; older, with two kids, a job where I actually have to work, and permanently exhausted. On the plus side, I'm used to no sleep.

ClimberEd 01 Apr 2017

I would suggest not throwing the kitchen sink at it.

I'd suggest a thought out plan that maximises your potential to complete it - the plan and the event.
Avoiding injury whilst maximising progression is key. Particularly for running rather than lower impact sports.

Not gonna right you one but for the first 4 weeks I would take it easy and just get used to exercising in volume at light intensity (with some speed work for good measure). Then think about building on that.
You've done an IM, and you can easily get IM fit in 16 weeks so this shouldn't be a lot different.
In reply to ClimberEd:

Thanks, a sensible take. My thought on the cycling was that it adds cardio volume (in fact I understand some ultra runners use it to bulk volume whilst avoiding injury). Bike wise I can cycle for ever and not get injured. In addition from IM training I remember it transfers quite well (though not the other way). Would you say avoid it tho and maximise recovery? Plan was to use it to get fit faster than my legs would cope with run volume.

Secondly main worry is bomb proofing the legs as it's very very hilly.

DaveHK 02 Apr 2017
> Would you say avoid it tho and maximise recovery?

I would avoid it. You're not training for an iron man after all, it's all running. The odd ride for a change or a leg loosener is fine but it shouldn't be a big part of your training.

> Secondly main worry is bomb proofing the legs as it's very very hilly.

Where do you live? There's no substitute for time in the hills.

Also, if all you want to do is finish I wouldn't worry too much about speed work.

What's the event?
Post edited at 14:00
 Stig 02 Apr 2017
In reply to ClimberEd:

> I would suggest not throwing the kitchen sink at it.

^^^^^^^ this

Build up the mileage gradually - I'd suggest peaking at no more than 45 a eeek. Like ed said, build it up gradually with lots of slow runs (remember time on your feet) as well as some quality/speed work. Build up the long runs: say 12,14, 17... etc, then focus on longer days in rough terrain. By far the most important thing is running long and slow on hilly and off-road terrain. I wouldn't bother much with bike or swim it will just make you tired and more likely to get run down. I ride my bike every few days but it's just commuting, and it does help iron out soreness and imbalances from running. I imagine you're pretty fit already.

Basically you'll be fine.

ClimberEd 02 Apr 2017

Well overall volume will help - I would keep the cycling low effort though - I don't know what sort of approach you naturally take but from your post I think you should regard it as 'active recovery' effort and not much more.
If you have the time then some sessions of these will help. (anything up to an hour a day - if it is easy it can go on top of running efforts)
You could also put a long ride (3hours plus) at easy (easy!!!) effort in weekly with little extra training load but the benefit of getting used to moving for longer periods of time. Harder to do running.
Finally, if your run style is good (higher cadence) then you could keep your cycling at lower cadence (sub 80, aim for 70) , this will build leg strength for the hills and reduce overall aerobic load.

Just some ideas

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...